Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Burnout Paradise Demo Thread

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:15 PM #1 of 47
Burnout Paradise Demo Thread

anyone tried the burnout demo?

am I the only one who totally hate the way EA took this franchise? for me burnout 3 was the last good burnout. the after effect and the crash where so great in that game...

now with the need for speed open city formula, it just turn me off... it just feel like a NFS but with no police, no story, and some crash that sometime look cool but doesn't seem of any interest like in the other burnout >.>

I really wish they will return more to the burnout 3 formula someday :\

How ya doing, buddy?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:37 PM #2 of 47
I don't think the demo really resembles the final product based off of media previews of the retail version.

In the demo since there's only ever 1 or 2 things to do, if you fail a race you have to drive all the way back. In the final build this is resolved by having sooooo many events, if you fail you just start the next race that is pratically right where you just finished.

The racing I think is cool. NFS never allowed you to just take whatever route you wanted to get to the end. So to have that ability now REALLY makes it feel like they're building on top of the game.

The graphics themself are quite impressive. Made even more so by the constant 60FPS.

Only problem is that the trick based event is a bit intrusive. You have to know the jump locations in that said area. There's no map indications of even just some "main" jumps to help you get started. So that mode is a bit take it or leave it. Burnout is about speed, so having to study the city is a bit lame.

I don't think the demo is going to hurt the sales any. But I really don't think it needed a demo, or at least not before release. Burnout is already a large franchise, they don't need to flex their muscles just for show.

I was probably more excited about the game before playing the demo. But I'm still going to buy the game for the PS3 when it comes out. I just simply love arcaic racers.

P.S.
That open world driving thing isn't NFS's anymore. They ditched it so I say it's fair game. Besides, Burnout does it better anyway. ^^

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:38 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 08:38 PM #3 of 47
I'm not a big racing game fan, but I thought the demo was alright. I definitely won't be buying this on the day of release, but if I can find it cheap one day I may consider it.

And yeah, it does suck about having to drive all the way back to each event if you fail. Like I said, I'm not that big a fan of racing games, so obviously I'm not that great at them, so having to do that after failing multiple times got annoying after a while. Even if there are more things to do in the final version, I like to keep at one thing until I beat it, so that would still be quite annoying.

Also, this is probably just a complaint of mine, but why do most racing games these days keep putting the acceleration and reverse controls on the trigger buttons? It works to some degree, but I just prefer to have them on the face buttons, and save the handbrake and boost controls for the triggers. I'm sure you'll be able to customize it that way in the final version, but it sucks that you can't change it for the demo.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:16 PM #4 of 47
Sometimes I'm persistant that way too. Which is comes to one other thing that probably bugged me the most. Why can't you select and start events from the map? WTF?

As for the controls, can you not map them to different buttons? I wouldn't be surprised either way seeing how like FPSs, Racing games controls have become quite standardised over the last generation or so.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:18 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 09:18 PM #5 of 47
Also, this is probably just a complaint of mine, but why do most racing games these days keep putting the acceleration and reverse controls on the trigger buttons?
The hell? It's about a billion times easier to control how much pressure you put on a trigger than it is to do so on a face button. Different braking and gas pressures are the entire point.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:33 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 09:33 PM #6 of 47
Sometimes I'm persistant that way too. Which is comes to one other thing that probably bugged me the most. Why can't you select and start events from the map? WTF?

As for the controls, can you not map them to different buttons? I wouldn't be surprised either way seeing how like FPSs, Racing games controls have become quite standardised over the last generation or so.
Yeah, selecting things from the map seemed liked a no brainer. I could understand having to physically go to the gas stations and the auto repair shops, but the events should have been selectable from the map, or at least put in the option to do so once you've tried it at least once. I appreciate the open world format they're going for, but some aspects of it are just plain annoying in the long run.

And about the controls, I couldn't find a way to change the button layout in the demo. There was no kind of options menu as far as I could tell, and pressing start only brings up the map. Like I said though, I assume you'll be able to do so in the full game, they just didn't have it implemented in the demo (the R&C demo had a similar annoyance where you couldn't change to inverted aiming, but you can in the full game).

The hell? It's about a billion times easier to control how much pressure you put on a trigger than it is to do so on a face button. Different braking and gas pressures are the entire point.
It's just a control preference. You don't really need different pressures for gas (you're going to be trying to go as fast as possible most of the time), and since you use the handbrake more than reverse, it would make more sense to have that on a trigger instead.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:37 PM #7 of 47
Even so the PS3's controllers have pressure sensative X, /_\ , [ ], O as did the dualshock before it.

The options are in a weird place. But hit "right" on the D-pad as though you were to go online and then scroll down to options.

FELIPE NO
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:41 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 09:41 PM #8 of 47
I didn't even try any of the online stuff, so I guess that's why I missed it. I'll definitely try it out the next time I play it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:44 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 09:44 PM #9 of 47
I can understand the complaint about using the triggers for gas and brake on the PS3. Sorry but the triggers on the sixaxis are absolutely terrible. In a game like Burnout, where you are basically full throttle or no throttle, it doesn't matter, but if you were playing a racing sim, like Gran Turismo, where you will actually need to have more precise control of the level of throttle and braking, the terrible triggers will become a factor.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
trackjacket
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 22470

Level 13.94

May 2007

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:25 PM #10 of 47
The trigger buttons are very awkward to press. They really should have gone with the typical concave (i.e. Xbox 360/GameCube) instead of convex style for them.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:58 PM #11 of 47
well i just tried the demo online, I still think it's a bad burnout game but now I really like this "arcade racing" game.

I really did love online play where you tried to be other people high score or to just run and take them down, it's was just really more enjoyable than just race around city without having a goal or something...

still I want the after effect back and more awesome slow-motion crash ; ;

How ya doing, buddy?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:04 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2007, 09:04 PM #12 of 47
I can understand the complaint about using the triggers for gas and brake on the PS3. Sorry but the triggers on the sixaxis are absolutely terrible. In a game like Burnout, where you are basically full throttle or no throttle, it doesn't matter, but if you were playing a racing sim, like Gran Turismo, where you will actually need to have more precise control of the level of throttle and braking, the terrible triggers will become a factor.
Yeah the mechanism on the Sixaxis is pretty shitty, but I just got my Dualshock 3 import and the trigger mechanism is much improved. They slide inward now similar to the Gamecube triggers but it doesn't have that click point and the triggers on the Dualshock 3 offer more resistance the further in you push the trigger so its easier to feel how far you've pushed the trigger. It's FAR better than the lever type triggers on the Sixaxis.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:38 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 12:38 AM #13 of 47
It's just a control preference. You don't really need different pressures for gas (you're going to be trying to go as fast as possible most of the time), and since you use the handbrake more than reverse, it would make more sense to have that on a trigger instead.
I'm sorry, but, uh. No. Not at all. The regular brake is how you enter controlled drifts, and how hard you hit it changes a lot of things, including how much you slow down by. And there have been plenty of times in the demo already where I've ran into situations where I haven't used full gas.

I'm not saying this is a sim, but you're playing it wrong, that's about all there is to it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:20 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 01:20 AM #14 of 47
So because I don't play it the same way as you I'm playing it wrong?

It just doesn't play right to me using the triggers, plain and simple. Who cares if it plays better (which itself is a matter of opinion) using that method if it's not even comfortable to play?

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:31 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 01:31 AM #15 of 47
There is a difference between "different" and "wrong".

It is like only using fierce attacks in Street Fighter. You are not doing yourself any favours by limiting your range of actions.

Weither or not you are more comfortable using the face buttons or the triggers is a matter of personal opinion, but having the level of accuracy with a pressure sensitive face button rather than a trigger would take a lot of personal work. And when parts of the gameplay are dependent on said pressure, a more accurate implement is usually preferred. Would you use a ball-peen hammer or a sledge when working with a chisel?

This isn't an opinion piece, Charlie. I'm just stating the obvious.

FELIPE NO
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:33 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 02:33 AM #16 of 47
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and just offer my two cents.

I never played this game before until tonight, and I'll tell you. Applying brake + gas makes you sit there. You need to accelerate constantly, brake constantly, and ram constantly. There's no but's about it. You have to do it that way. If you don't, you'll get killed (Skills can vouch for this ._.)

Thanks.

WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:42 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 01:42 AM #17 of 47
As I said earlier, I'm not a big racing game fan, so I admittedly don't know all the mechanics of how racing games work. That being said, I think I did pretty well playing through the single player stuff in the demo, and for the most part I just hit the gas as much as possible and used the handbrake when a corner came up.

As for playing real people, yeah, I probably would lose. But I think it has more to do with the fact that I've never been great at racing games to begin with than with the way I play them. Sure, I could learn how to play it the way everyone else does, but it would be so unwieldly for me that I would probably end up playing worse than how I would my way.

So whatever. Maybe I am playing it wrong, but I'd rather play it wrong and actually be able to play it rather than play it "right" and not even be able to play it that well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:56 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 01:56 AM #18 of 47
While it is true that there is no logical reason to want to get rid of the accuracy of pressure-sensitive triggers in favor of flavorless binary face buttons, I don't see why they don't just give you the option in the demo to customize controls so people who don't know how to play racers won't have to complain about it in online forums (or is there a way afterall, I haven't personally checked).

Anyway, demo's sweet. Can't wait for the full thing next month.

Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:21 AM #19 of 47
man, the wreck effects are amazing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:05 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 12:05 PM #20 of 47
I'm going to download this when I get home tonight but I have to say I'm not optimistic about the whole city thing. Need for speed underground 2 was ruined by having to drive around looking for events rather than just picking from a list and I hope this won't happen to Burnout. I really enjoy racing games, I'm not a big fan of driving around looking for obscure stuff games. Also, it seems to me like having an "Any route you want" thing will mean you'll never get to see any other racers.

I hope I'm wrong but I fear they've ruined the fun of just racing really fast round a circuit into oncoming traffic.

Most amazing jew boots
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:45 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 12:45 PM #21 of 47
The online mode is pretty cool, I've played with Aardark already.

It froze two times within an hour, though.

But I am definitely going to buy this. I must get the US version, though, because in the German version, DJ Atomica is a woman that sounds like she's 55 years old :/

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:03 AM #22 of 47
For the little I played last night, I thought it's a decent racing game, though I prefer selecting events from a menu rather than tracking them down on an open map. Still, this looks like a definite buy for me.

Loling at the CompUSA in-game advertising, since they're going out of business.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:34 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 08:34 AM #23 of 47
I must get the US version, though, because in the German version, DJ Atomica is a woman that sounds like she's 55 years old :/
DJ Atomica is an extremely annoying "fun and enthusiastic" douche on the US version. He's like that high energy mid-20s guy that companies use to try to appeal to 13 year olds. Easily the worst part of the demo. If this clown is in the full game and there isn't an option to turn him off, I will be very disappointed.

The rest of it is fun. I am hoping that the size of the map will not be a problem when the full game hits and we are playing multiplayer though. It was easy enough to find yourself a couple of miles away from the other players on the cordoned off demo map, so increasing the map size significantly could cause some lonely drives. What is the point of playing it if you can't t-bone each other, at high speeds, in an intersection, because you can never find anyone else?

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:56 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 03:56 PM #24 of 47
The rest of it is fun. I am hoping that the size of the map will not be a problem when the full game hits and we are playing multiplayer though. It was easy enough to find yourself a couple of miles away from the other players on the cordoned off demo map, so increasing the map size significantly could cause some lonely drives. What is the point of playing it if you can't t-bone each other, at high speeds, in an intersection, because you can never find anyone else?
Yeah, that's probably true. The full game map will be like twenty times larger than the demo game map. But then again, I think they said up to 8 players in the full game and from what I've experiencd so far, people are just looking for confrontation, so they will just meet somewhere

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:25 PM Local time: Dec 14, 2007, 12:25 PM #25 of 47
True, last night when Skills, Iwata, mini-face, and myself were playing, for the longest time we all four just drove around on the east side of the map, where the repair shop and gas station were, just taking each other down, just going up and down that street. It just happens that it took a while for us to all sort of start congregating in the same place and staying there.

It was cool last night before Iwata and mini-face joined us, Skills and I had a couple of randoms in the game with us, so we spent the whole time trying to hunt them down and crash them. It was fun.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Burnout Paradise Demo Thread