Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Replacing Laser Lens Help

Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 07:58 PM #1 of 9
Replacing Laser Lens Help

Hi, I'm asking for a bit of direction to my problem, if anyone can help me in any way, I appreciate in advance. And I'm not sure if this thread should be posted in Sony Scape or the help space, but since it's regarding Playstation 2 I'll try it here.

My cousins PS2 starting showing some errors after it falling off my desk. It wouldn't read discs. I had a guy watching it to see what was wrong with the playstation 2 and after some testing, right in front of me, he said that the lens were broke, but only the part where it reads DVDs, CDs were working fine, so to fix it I'll have to replace the lens.

When I asked him the price, it happened to be way to expensive, R$ 400.00 (currency of my country which would cost something about US$ 200.00).

So I came to an idea, I've been thinking about replacing the laser lens myself.
I've seen a lot of those on eBay, and they are not expensive, something about US$15 (non original) and US$50 (original).

The thing is I finding really hard to find a guide of how to change it.
First, I'd like to know if someone here on GFF have ever replaced their own PS2 lenses ?

And I'd like, if someone can help me with, I bit more of information before buying a laser lens, my PS2 models is SCPH-39001, after some research I came to know this is Playstation 2 version 4. I think (I'm not sure) the lens I should get are 400C. Does anybody knows if this is true ?

I'd like to request too a tutorial of how to do it if someone knos where to find it. A friend of mine has volunteried to help me, but since we've never replaced a laser lens before, we're not sure it's going to work good without a guide.

Once again, sorry for boring you people with this. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:I've found out that my model is version 7, according to a guide I just downloaded at eMule.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Yuna; May 3, 2006 at 05:44 PM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 05:28 PM #2 of 9
I wouldn't try it. I've opened my PS2 before, it was a disaster. Merely by removing the top part of the case you can yank a ribbon that connects the reset/eject buttons to the motherboard. It's chaos in there, and everything is connected by a ribbon. You move something, you yank something else out. You try to put it back, you mess up something in the process. You lose screws. You put the thing back together only to find out some part of it isn't working.

It's madness. If you still want to go ahead, try it, but if you break it, you'll have to buy a new one ore more parts, and then while replacing those parts you might break more parts.

I don't want to be a pessimist, I just want to warn you. I've broken two PS2s while messing with them. One of them I managed to fix but it's hanging on by a thread.

My suggestion is you pay Sony or someone else for repair.

How ya doing, buddy?
Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 05:34 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 08:34 PM #3 of 9
I've opened it before with no harm done (no more than it already was) and this friend of mine who said would help me have opened his too and managed to fix the problem.

To be honest, the only worst thing that could happned is, nor DVDs and CDs reading.
I can't pay Sony because I live in Brazil and Sony has no support here.

But I appreciate your advise anyway.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 05:06 AM #4 of 9
May not be lens, Yuna. There was this site that was talking about this certain white gear thats by the lens.. if you twist it around, it'd be as good as new, you'll be able to play ps1 ,ps2 games perfectly. i had this and 3 other broken ps2's that are now working o.o..

I'm pretty sure it falling on the floor didn't do anything. Mine fell a couple of times .

edit : found the site

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

to you and anyone else who wants to give their other broken ps2's a try. And yes, be careful that you open the lid with care so that the strap doesn't snap off. Clean it as well ^^;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by chato; May 4, 2006 at 05:14 AM.
Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 06:28 AM Local time: May 4, 2006, 09:28 AM #5 of 9
I turned this white circle "thing" after reading a FAQ but it didn't help. But how many degrees did you turn at a time ? 1 ? or something like 10 ?

The only thing I haven't done yet is increasing the voltage of the DVD reader. A lot of FAQs say that will probably solve the problem but I couldn't take the screw off. I'll try this again later.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jarett
Metal Gear Solid

Member 4200

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:56 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 04:56 PM #6 of 9
Before you attempt to replace the laser, maybe you should try cleaning the lens first. My PS2 couldn't handle movies or CD games before I cleaned it. Try some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip on it. It worked for me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 10:00 PM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by Yuna
I turned this white circle "thing" after reading a FAQ but it didn't help. But how many degrees did you turn at a time ? 1 ? or something like 10 ?

The only thing I haven't done yet is increasing the voltage of the DVD reader. A lot of FAQs say that will probably solve the problem but I couldn't take the screw off. I'll try this again later.
Tweaking the pots will only delay the inevitable, though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Yuna
涼宮ハルヒ

Member 1603

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 08:57 AM Local time: May 6, 2006, 11:57 AM #8 of 9
I cleaned it with alcohol, it's still the same, reading CDs but not DVDs. Since the CDs are readable I don't belive the position of the lens are wrong. I'll try cleaning some more than because the lens were dirty like hell.

After reading more FAQs and reading more pictures, I realised my cousin's PS2 has a non-original lens, it has those cheap ones, a lot of screws missing, etc. He bought at a "god knows where" place.

Since his ps2 weren't much I ordered the cheap lens, if it lasts at least six months I'll be glad.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 10:00 AM #9 of 9
Even if you can't get Sony themselves to fix your PS2, I'm sure there are other places online that will fix your PS2. Also I don't know why you can't just ship it to Sony in another country; it's not like they're fixing the consoles for free, anyway, so they should be eager to take your money.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Replacing Laser Lens Help