Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] L O S T [possible spoilers]

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 08:23 AM #551 of 595
Spoiler:
Thats because you're all fucking suckers. And I mean that in both the literal and nicest ways possible.

Spoiler:
Why in God's name would you watch a show or read a book or sit in front of a movie if you don't watch it for the characters?

"Hey, I'm going to read Watership Down, but I'm going to avoid *all the scenes with animals*."
You're the last GFFer I expected to defend this.

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 08:26 AM #552 of 595
Spoiler:
Why in God's name would you watch a show or read a book or sit in front of a movie if you don't watch it for the characters?

"Hey, I'm going to read Watership Down, but I'm going to avoid *all the scenes with animals*."
What I meant was, anybody who was sucked in initially because of the sci-fi elements. Anyone who watched the pilot episode, heard the roar in the forest, and knew something was amiss and couldn't wait to find out more. I didn't tune into the pilot and say "damn I can't wait to see what happens to all these white people and that black kid," I said "damn how the hell are they gonna get outta this and what exactly is 'this'?"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 08:59 AM #553 of 595
You're the last GFFer I expected to defend this.
I'm not defending the show - which is something stupid people think is smart or entertaining - but I am pointing out why people are wrong for feeling put off by the finale. (Right emotion, wrong reasons)

What I meant was, anybody who was sucked in initially because of the sci-fi elements.
Spoiler:
The "scifi" elements are hardly sf at all. It's what people who wear crystals around their necks and use homeopathic products think is even remotely close to SF. They're MacGuffins - what they are doesn't matter, they just drive the story on, like the suitcase in Pulp Fiction.

The problem is that viewers like yourself were more interested in the things that didn't matter instead of what would actually matter (caring about the characters and seeing how they'd react/interact) and this is why the ending is dissatisfying. You were seeking some literally impossible expository narrative to be emotionally satisfying and instead got an emotionally expository finale and you're kicking and screaming because you all found out your show is empty of meaning. All I could think of was PT Barnum's old "This Way to the Egress" sign; you're all a bunch of goddamned suckers and you're angry for being stupid. Ha fucking ha, I called this shit half a decade ago.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 09:05 AM #554 of 595
I think at some point we're all going to have to come to terms with the notion that they never would have answered every question in order for this show to have any legacy. Even if they create new content in the future (which they likely won't), they're going to intentionally leave some puzzle pieces out for us to figure it out for ourselves. Nevertheless, the extent of mystery remaining in the background is going to leave everyone disappointed.

Unless, of course, you only cared about the characters, in which case...good for you.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 09:51 AM Local time: May 24, 2010, 04:51 PM #555 of 595
This particular ending has been written out for us for three seasons now. You should have all accepted it already.

Spoiler:
I originally didn't have any clue on why Jacks dad was there at the end. I still don't. I know the sideways crapline is purgatory, but how does he know about any of this stuff. Wasn't he dead before they ever got on the plane
Spoiler:
Kate pointed this out also. His name is fucking Christian Shepard. That will get the message through the thickest of skulls.

Originally Posted by sprouticus
Spoiler:
Everything we saw on the island, all the mystery, all the sci-fi... It's all useless. Worthless. Meaningless. None of it matters.
Spoiler:
The healing process dreams provide us is a journey, and you have to sit through it.

Anyone sane would know this series is basically The Bold & The Beautiful on a tropical island. The sci-fi elements were poorly written from the start, and they were just there to lure in the extra viewers that they betrayed PERFECTLY at about season 4. Yeah, the time travel stuff is actually plausible, fun and what makes this all worthwhile.

The lost sheep are finally home.

..and I also have to agree with LeHah.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Teioh
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 61

Level 21.10

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 10:18 AM Local time: May 24, 2010, 05:18 PM #556 of 595
Spoiler:

I admit feeling a little stupid, cause I watched the show for all the wrong reasons. It wasn't clear to me that the island was just a setup for the usual TV show drama, love triangles and betrayals.
None of the history of the island mattered in the end, nothing was explained.
It's especially stupid because sci-fi elements like time travel and electro-magnetism as the answer to everything took enough credibility from the writers, they could as well have come up with some idea for the rest (statue, cave, jacob's mother, the wheel)

I did care for the characters. The interesting ones like Ben or Jacob, those who became useless as soon as their stories were told and there was no more potential/room for another love triangle.

There were probably some clues in this episode, such as the symbols on the plug, but who's seriously going to decipher these.
They could as well have ended the show with the line from Across the Sea "Every question I answer will simply lead to another question."

Glad it's over now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 10:25 AM 2 #557 of 595
It's especially stupid because sci-fi elements like time travel and electro-magnetism
Those aren't science fiction elements, They're story-telling devices. Science fiction is a genre that Lost is not a part of.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 10:32 AM Local time: May 24, 2010, 09:32 AM 1 #558 of 595
I'm glad I was never obsessed with the show as much as the average Lost fan seems to be. For the most part it was just another show I watched, so while I did enjoy it, I didn't care enough about it to get fixated on every single detail. I never really read all the fan theories or followed discussion concerning the deeper meaning behind things that happened on the show. That's not a knock against people who did do all that stuff, but I think that's the primary reason why they had such lofty expectations for the finale.

I wasn't disappointed with the finale. I wouldn't go as far as to say I was satisfied with it, but the show passed the point of ever being able to deliver a satisfying ending seasons ago. For what it was I thought it was good for the most part, and considering how this show has played out over the years it was probably the most fitting finale we could ever get.

Most amazing jew boots
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 12:31 PM #559 of 595
Honestly, the last season wasn't so bad if you completely disregard the entire "sideways" timeline. There is a resolution of sorts for the events on the island, though it would have been nice if a few more things were explained.

Spoiler:
So going into the light turns you into a smoke monster. Unless it doesn't. It didn't seem to be a fate worse than death for Desmond or Jack.

As far as the flash sideways goes:

Spoiler:
So my take is, they all die of old age or whatever, and as Sass mentioned, the writers decide to go Jacob's Ladder except they all share the same consciousness. This kind of makes me not give a shit about anything that happens there.

Way to waste half your airtime.

FELIPE NO

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 12:52 PM Local time: May 24, 2010, 07:52 PM #560 of 595
I'm probably not the first to notice the similarities.

Henry Ian Cusick in Lost.

John Dye in Touched by an Angel.

It all makes sense now.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 12:54 PM #561 of 595
Spoiler:
So going into the light turns you into a smoke monster. Unless it doesn't. It didn't seem to be a fate worse than death for Desmond or Jack.
Spoiler:
YUP. That's what I was thinking, too.

The MiB seems to have been turned into some horrible.... smoke monster thing (which isn't THAT bad, compared to how they were talking about the Glory Hole of Doom) just by taking a water slide ride down a waterfall. But yet Flocke can walk right up to the waterfall and move things in and out of it.

Jack and Des have NO problem whatsoever with coming and going through the goddamn thing.

AND THEN JACK MAGICALLY ENDS UP IN A POOL SOMEWHERE after putting the plug back into the hole.... or whatever. WOW. Really frightening magic watering hole, there. He survives everything that Desmond survived, and Des was "special."

I can't help but to think they were actually going somewhere with this shit. I really, really think they had something. All of it feels so painfully disjointed. I was *thrilled* (and I mean epic, "this is the best television ever" thrilled) with how the first 2 hours went. I had hope. Widmore was there. Desmond was a secret weapon. Everything in the sideways plot was aligning with the island plot.

Everything was coming together for what I thought was going to be a MUCH BIGGER BOOM than "ha ha they're all dead, jokes on you."

Maybe I'm a stupid LOST fan, but I saw something bigger in the light at the tunnel, even an hour before it was all over. It's like at the last moment, they gave up in frustration, and just threw the script over the cliff.

I was convinced I knew the ending when everyone was "waking up." I was almost positive that it was all a ploy... like they were back-ups in case the fight against MiB went poorly and they all died in the fight. I was thinking Jacob had the foresight to have an a-bomb on location or something to blow shit up and create a separate reality wherein he'd have everyone ready to come back and kick Flocke's ass....

...sigh.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 01:28 PM 1 #562 of 595
Quote:
Maybe I'm a stupid LOST fan, but I saw something bigger in the light at the tunnel
No, you're a stupid Lost fan. The one, single difference between the finale and every other show they made is that you can't lean on the expectation that the next episode will solve everything. The show was *always* this disjointed and bad. And I hope when you go back to repeats, you'll see this.

How ya doing, buddy?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 01:46 PM #563 of 595
LeHah, I'm curious: if you don't watch the show, why are you in this thread?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 01:48 PM #564 of 595
I watched the entire series through on Netflix Streaming, but missed a couple episodes this season.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 01:48 PM #565 of 595
Maybe he knows somebody who does watch it and they just talk about it all the time and he just kept trying to convince them what a waste of time it was and now he feels righteously vindicated

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 01:49 PM #566 of 595
Maybe he knows somebody who does watch it and they just talk about it all the time and he just kept trying to convince them what a waste of time it was and now he feels righteously vindicated
That too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 02:01 PM #567 of 595
I watched the entire series through on Netflix Streaming, but missed a couple episodes this season.
That's interesting.

I remember a conversation we had during what, Season 3, wherein you told me it was all a waste of my time and that you'd never watch such a stupid show. JJ Abrams does such a shitty job with everything he touches, and how it's definitely below you to watch that shit.

Did you change your mind?

FELIPE NO
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 02:15 PM #568 of 595
Just finished watching it since I was at work last night.

My only opinion on this is:

What.

How ya doing, buddy?
Teioh
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 61

Level 21.10

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 02:22 PM Local time: May 24, 2010, 09:22 PM #569 of 595
Those aren't science fiction elements, They're story-telling devices. Science fiction is a genre that Lost is not a part of.
Well, yes. Time travel and pseudo-science are science-fiction elements. I agree they failed in this regard but it's entirely forgivable considering the mystery elements that kept the show running.
Every cliffhanger between seasons (except for the revelation of the flash forwards) was related to the mysteries of the island, not Jack and Sawyer.

On second thought, though, the finale wasn't that bad.
Spoiler:
Remember how purgatory was a popular theory in season 1? I know it was my favorite, so it's unfair to cry about it now. I loved the flashbacks of the characters when they remembered, it was a nice recapture of old times.
Reading opinions on other boards, it makes more and more sense (e.g. why some characters were absent at the church) and I'll just have to accept the Egyptians found this island before Jacob and Samuel(!). The stone plug still bothers me, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 02:29 PM Local time: May 24, 2010, 12:29 PM 1 #570 of 595
WHERE THE FUCK WAS

Spoiler:
WALT

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 02:40 PM 1 #571 of 595
Did you change your mind?
1.) Michael Giacchino (Lost Composer) and I use to be email buddies from late 1999 to late 2001. I figured I'd give it a shot if just because of that.

2.) After hating on the show for all the reasons I knew were true, I decided to get my hands dirty on it because I'd honestly rather pick something apart from the inside instead of just hitting flyballs out into right field. I wasn't arguing in a vaccuum but people like you, people who are devoted to the show, automatically put up a barrier of "YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT" and then I can tell them when I rolled my eyes when Clancy Brown blew his head off in front of Desmond or how trite it was to introduce Mr Science Teacher and then blow him up in the same episode or any other number of things.

3.) A lot of friends I respect like the show. Unfortunately, much like Halo, this is now something I cannot see them eye to eye on because it really is as awful as I've said all along.

4.) And yes, it is a show thats below me. I've stepped over smaller piles of shit than this but in the cases of Firefly or the Terminator show or one or two others which I simply don't like, I can see why someone may like them. Lost, though, is just outright bad. The formula for every episode is the same: This is what happened last time, crazy! Heres some more exposition! Hey Hurley is still fat and loveable! Wait, something weird is going on? Smoke Monster / Ben Linus / Island Thing / Statue / Underwater Base / Someone Is Shot. JUMPCUT/RISINGSTRINGSANDPERCUSSIONHIT. It was like someone took the worst episodes of The X-Files from the last three seasons, stuck them in a blender, rearranged them and called them a show. All it is is plot twist ontop of plot twist for 6 seasons and it amounts to - nothing! Surprise! No lube!

(Paul Dini, who was a script supervisor for Season 1 and part of Season 2, said that the show had a definitive ending from the get-go but he hasn't said what it was. He was waiting to see what the final episode was before he opened that can of worms. I'll let you know if its stupider than what was used.)

Most amazing jew boots
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 04:28 PM Local time: May 24, 2010, 02:28 PM 4 #572 of 595
After wasting my time watching the finale that I downloaded I really only have one thing to say: What a stupid show. I actually feel BAD for watching it all this time.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 06:37 PM #573 of 595
BTW I think the Smoke Monster was a guardian of the pool at the bottom of the waterfall and Jacob knocking TMiB into the waterfall woke it up and it's been on the warpath ever since. As for how and when it got there...
Spoiler:
...the island moves through time and space, right? The only reasonable answer is that some technologically-advanced race from the future created the monster once they realized what the light was in order to defend it, though they probably didn't realize that a person had to be the guardian of the island, as it seems to be a role passed down from person to person.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2010, 06:50 PM #574 of 595
Spoiler:
The only reasonable answer is that some technologically-advanced race from the future created the monster once they realized what the light was in order to defend it
Maybe I missed something on the show but is there absolutely anything to support this wild theory?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Randi
You may be a sinner but your innocence is mine

Member 33495

Level 7.28

Apr 2009

Old May 24, 2010, 11:09 PM Local time: May 24, 2010, 08:09 PM 1 #575 of 595
The only thing that makes sense is that none of it mattered because they were dead anyways.

That's how you explain all the magical bullshit. There is no explanation because none of it happened.

To be honest, I haven't really given much thought to the finale. In a way, I washed my hands free of it at the last second and I won't give it another thought from here on out. Whatever the explanation, I don't care. I'm not going to revisit this show, I'm not going to invest in the complete collection, I don't care to see the alternate endings and I'm certainly not going to be following anymore ABC shows. As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that I was entertained and intrigued by something for so long.

I'm satisfied in the same way that you would be if you had just gotten out of a really shitty relationship. Sure, you'll probably miss the person and it's disappointing at first, but you choose to remember the good times and accept that in the long run, it probably wasn't going to work out anyways.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] L O S T [possible spoilers]