Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Swine Flu - We're all going to die

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 06:58 AM Local time: May 3, 2009, 07:58 PM #51 of 59
Yeah, standard procedure from the SARS days.

I need to find my digital thermometer. I don't know if it still even works.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 07:42 AM Local time: May 3, 2009, 01:42 PM #52 of 59
Adopting a "let's wait and see" attitude would simply be retarded.
I wholeheartly agree, but in my opinion there is a difference between taking the necessary measures and creating a mass panic.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 08:13 AM #53 of 59
Yeah, standard procedure from the SARS days.

I need to find my digital thermometer. I don't know if it still even works.
What happens if you report an above-average temperature? Do they just say "Don't come to school today" or do men in hazmat suits show up at your door?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 08:17 AM Local time: May 3, 2009, 09:17 PM #54 of 59
They probably drive up with a van and execute you inside.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 09:10 AM Local time: May 3, 2009, 10:10 PM #55 of 59
nuttyturnip, I think there are mandatory quarantine procedures plus a hospital stay

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 01:48 PM 3 #56 of 59
No, I don't oppose volcano monitoring (good comparison by the way, got you some props!) but just in case you haven't noticed yet, there is a pretty huge hysteria about a flu that is probably not any more dangerous than a common cold. It's been the same with BSE, it's been the same with SARS and it's been the same with the bird flu. Why should it be any different this time?
Some nosepicker from Germany thinks a bunch of doctors and medical researchers from around the world are wrong?

Yeah, that sounds legitimate, I'm gonna go with this guy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 02:55 PM #57 of 59
Mush is right in that, for most people, the effects of the swine flu will be no greater or worse than any other common flu. But this isn't what concerns doctors foremost; it's the potential rate of infection possessed by the virus that is of greater concern. It's a new mutation, nobody has antibodies. The vaccine will take time to develop and there are legitimate worries that the virus may mutate further, complicating treatment. While places with established healthcare systems like America, Canada, Europe and Japan may not suffer as badly, the possibility of a global pandemic means that the swine flu poses a threat to underdeveloped nations. That's where it will wreak the most damage.

The primary issue is the rate at which the disease will spread, not the severity of it. Even if the virus simply caused you to have a blue spot on your forehead for a week - pretty harmless - if it infects a high percentage at a fast pace, it's still a pandemic.

That said, Mush is rather naive to laugh it off just because it probably won't be any worse than a typical flu. It's still a flu.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2009, 03:03 PM Local time: May 3, 2009, 10:03 PM #58 of 59
Yes. A real problem would be if it could spread around freely, mutating into tens of different branches in different parts of the world. Then treating it, if it suddenly just burst flaming, would be impossible.

It's better to be systematicly cautious now.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
AtomicDuck
Quackus Maximus

Member 27199

Level 5.82

Dec 2007

Old May 6, 2009, 06:44 PM #59 of 59
They probably drive up with a van and execute you inside.
That was when Cheney was VP. Now we have Biden, so they arrive by train.

But I'm torn on how much of an overreaction everyone's having. I think Crash got it, in the way that it sounds like it's not any worse than the typical flu but it's new to the scene and spreads rather quickly and that's where the concern is coming from.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Swine Flu - We're all going to die