Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Now playing in front of a live studio audience!

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 01:14 AM #1 of 13
Now playing in front of a live studio audience!

So how do you react to playing a game when you know your being watched? Do you play differently, by changing up your playing style, or doing things you wouldn't normally do? Or do you play the same, and totally phase out everything around you and focus solely on the game?

I was at the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago, and I was playing New Super Mario Bros. on my DS. I was doing things as I normally would, until this large family came in and several of the kids started watching me play. Because I knew I was being watched, I started doing things differently (like not trying to find all the star coins, or replaying past levels), and overall it was like I was trying to satisfy my audience. It was then that I realized that I usually do this all the time, whether in front of complete strangers or family in friends.

Even when doing stuff in multiplayer, I change up my playing style. When it's just me and a bunch of friends playing, I just play casually, not really caring if I win or not (though I still try to win, of course). But when people are watching a match between us, I'll start playing more seriously, like I just have to win this shit, or I'll be disgraced forever.

So how does playing a game in front of others affect you?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:46 AM #2 of 13
Depends, if they're watching me... for some reason I suck. I just totally lose whatever skill I had. Usually anyways. But if they're playing with me, I play normally, if not better. Can't explain either, but hey typically happen whether I want them to or not.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaphwan 86
Punt-a-bitch

Member 365

Level 13.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:58 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 09:58 AM #3 of 13
I play worse when there's an audience, because there will be unnecessary rambling. It's okay if the other competitors in a multiplayer match do that because it's usually relevant to the game, but the audience usually says something noobish when they are watching the game you play with others and you are forced to listen to it which is quite distracting/frustrating.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:55 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 01:55 AM #4 of 13
When people gather around to watch me play DDR, I will begin to pick more and more 9 and 10 footers, just to hear them ooh and ahh. I love it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:47 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 03:47 PM #5 of 13
I remember playing Goldeneye somewhere and there were quite a few people of a family watching. I wasn't too hot at that game at that time, and I blitzed the early levels on easy difficulty. Usually I would go around killing everyone as I see them, but I got to the snow stage and I started to pick off everyone with headshots. It looked clever, but I messed up and died. I figured most didn't have a clue what was going on, but with the bloody death it was obvious what happened. I felt as if I was showboating a bit and payed the price. I usually don't feel the need to showboat, I like to go about things efficiently and effectively.

No doubt I would feel the pressure from people watching, same goes to whatever I could be doing. When people start saying dumb things I will get annoyed but I make sure to rise under pressure and just keep going.

In multiplayer I tend to rise to the challenge though, and I would be serious and would go all out for the win and not care what is being said etc.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:10 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 07:10 AM #6 of 13
It depends on what I happen to be playing. I tend to be more aggressive if I play a fighting game in front of others, and especially if my opponent is a close friend.

I remember playing Metal Gear Solid years ago when I used to live at home. My mother had been in the room and I didn't shoot anyone while going through the different stages.

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:54 AM #7 of 13
I loosen up in fighting games when my friends watch/join in, to make it look like I'm not trying. Moreso, when they join in so that they complain. If they were to watch me go against the computer, I would just play as I normally do.

If my friend will watch me play part of an rpg, then I'll always pick the flashiest spells and summons and stuff in an attempt to catch their eye.

If it were in public, then I would just try to make it look like I know what I'm doing, so I wouldn't search for hidden items in a game, or try out a certain combo repeatedly, because then it'd look like I wasn't doing well.

FELIPE NO
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 08:49 AM #8 of 13
I participated in a Smash Bros Melee tournament at EB Games once. My second match I fought a younger kid who was surprisingly good. I won the first match easily, just barely lost the second, and won the third, but he put up a really good fight. Through the second and third matches I got pretty nervous and got serious, thinking "I can't let them see me lose to some kid!" It was quite a rush.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:59 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 08:59 PM #9 of 13
I try to do cool stuff when others are watching. Like in Ninja gaiden once i played in a store and instead of playing it for real i did all the cool moves and used sucky weapons and stuff.
Or like in cargames i drift and spin and stuff.

no homo
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 06:40 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 06:40 PM #10 of 13
I usually end up trying to make the gmae more "cinimatic" if I know other people are watching. Going to all the cool areas, pulling off the fancy moves and doing all the flashy manuevers, etc. It's a bit annoying when I get screwed up or stuck at a part when someone else is watching.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:40 AM #11 of 13
I usually won't change my playstyle if people are watching, because I figure the way I am can play best would be the best way for me to show off. I do try and pick harder levels and such though, because people usually request to see me do something hard.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:04 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 01:34 AM #12 of 13
I usually suck hard when playing with/against others. An example is me having the best track and lap times in F-Zero GX, but when I play against friends (some who don't even have the game) I rarely win. It's the same with fighting games too.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 09:08 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 02:08 PM #13 of 13
Yeah I like to show off in front of audiences just to show them 'wow' moments. Used to play Tekken a lot and I would pull of the flashiest juggles, tech traps, powermoves and stance switches.. even if I got hit it'd still be a laugh. I do stuff up a lot tho because of this, but it's fun to show off all you know.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Now playing in front of a live studio audience!