Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Games where the plot revolves around a corrupt religion etc

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:35 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 09:35 PM #1 of 44
Games where the plot revolves around a corrupt religion etc

Like the thread says, I'm looking for games that have a plot which consists majorly of religion and corruption. The only games I've ever played with the aforementioned plot are Final Fantasy X and Breath of Fire II (=.=") so can anyone recommend any other good ones?

How ya doing, buddy?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:29 AM #2 of 44
Grandia II is one, a very good game as well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:35 AM #3 of 44
Well don't wanna be the one to beat a dead horse, but i'm gonna do so anyway. Xenogears is your perfect candidate.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Haiyami
Wark!

Member 215

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:36 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 06:36 AM #4 of 44
It has been awhile, but if I remember correctly, the plot of Xenogears revolved around a religion, but I forgot if there was any corruption in it or not though.

Most amazing jew boots
masa
This is my boomstick

Member 11207

Level 6.05

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:44 AM #5 of 44
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, a cult who wants to revive Dracula, how could anything get more corrupt than that.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:00 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 02:00 PM #6 of 44
Try Legend of Kartia on the PS1. The whole thing is about a corrupt church with you playing the part of one of two naive young church knights who unravel it all from within. It's a damn good game too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:23 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:23 PM #7 of 44
Ultima VII for PC is also related to that. Pretty awesome game despite it's rather old (1992).

Wasn't Call of Cthulhu also related to religion? I only played for a few hours, but i remember it had some human sacrifices and stuff...

FELIPE NO

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:42 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 01:12 PM #8 of 44
If you're only looking at RPGs, Xenogears is THE "evil corrupt religion" game.

If you're also including non-RPGs (the first post didn't specify RPGs only), Thief 1 and 2 both involve the resident religious nuts getting out of hand and trying to destroy the world. There's probably plenty of other games too, but I just woke up and my brain's too foggy to think of them at the moment.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:55 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:55 AM #9 of 44
As Freddy mentioned above, Grandia 2 comes right to mind. Evil religious guy even calls himself the Pope.

If you get right down to brass tacks, Valkyrie Profile has you fighting in a religious war, though the lines of good and evil are somewhat blurred.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:02 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:02 AM #10 of 44
What the hell? Am I going to be the first one to mention Final Fantasy Tactics, what gives? Political and religious corruption abounds.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:32 PM #11 of 44
Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
What the hell? Am I going to be the first one to mention Final Fantasy Tactics, what gives? Political and religious corruption abounds.
I thought I was the only one who was reading these posts thinking, "WHAT? No one's mentioned FFT yet?"

Yeah, definately FFT, that game has one of the best plots in this topic. Vagrant Story also has a bit, if I recall correctly. Or maybe that game was more about an insane cult religion...

How ya doing, buddy?
MrSatan
I'm the best, and the best thing is you know it!

Member 270

Level 15.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:00 PM #12 of 44
well the silent hill series deals with the cult to zamael, so maybe it could interest you.

Most amazing jew boots
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 01:11 PM #13 of 44
I would say RE4 but this is the RPG forum.

Wait...

~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:25 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 04:55 PM #14 of 44
Originally Posted by JazzFlight
Yeah, definately FFT, that game has one of the best plots in this topic. Vagrant Story also has a bit, if I recall correctly. Or maybe that game was more about an insane cult religion...
It was sort of both. The religion the main villain and his soldiers follow is....well, debatably corrupt. Some of the characters who follow the religion aren't particularly evil or diabolical and don't make the religion seem much better or worse than ANY given religion. But there's strong hints that some of the church higher-ups are corrupt as hell. There's there's the cult that Sydney leads who are also off doing their own thing. They're not an INSANE cult, per se, but they're not exactly benign. Throw the two together in an evil city and you're guaranteed trouble even WITHOUT all the monsters and zombies roaming around the place.

Plenty of religion and politics in Vagrant Story. Which normally bore me, but VS did it really damn well. Considering how much I loved the game, I MUST have been half asleep when I wrote my other post. VS should have been the first game I thought of.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:55 PM #15 of 44
Stella Deus sort of falls under this category. While the main villain rebels against the religion and is not a member of it, the religion itself teaches strict apathy towards mankind's own looming destruction (which the hero and almost everyone else opposes). It's a Strategy-RPG though, so it might not be your thing.

FELIPE NO
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:13 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:13 PM #16 of 44
Tales of Symphonia is another one, though it's not exactly a central plot device. It follows the whole religion being used to control the masses thing similar to Xenogears. And of course it's a Gamecube game, so not exactly the system of choice for typical RPG fans.

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:04 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 11:04 AM #17 of 44
Thanks, plenty of suggestions. I'm mainly interested in Xenogears, but that game was never released on PAL and I'm not a fan of using swap magic every time I want to play a game. I've never played Final Fantasy Tactics before, but I heard it's good. I may consider buying it. (yet again, FFT was never released in PAL...eh, can't win all of 'em)

Anyway keep the suggestions coming. I'm mainly looking for RPGs but some games from other genres won't do any harm if mentioned.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Insignus
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 11350

Level 1.02

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:29 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:29 PM #18 of 44
Xenogears, Xenogears, Xenogears. Not only does it fit the criteria you described but it is also one of the most amazing RPG's to ever grace the planet. Xenogears is my all time favorite video game. One would be hard pressed to find an equally complex and engaging story as Xenogears, even in modern books and movies. Play. This. Game.

I'd seriously suggest stomaching the use of swap magic on this one. It's just that good.

Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:16 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 10:16 PM #19 of 44
I wouldn't say Xenogears' plot focused solely on a corrupt religion. It did hit on the ETHOS group and when you crushed it, that was pretty much it. Your characters weren't VERY concerned about the ETHOS group and their messed up religion afterwards. It was really about Solaris' oppression and finding the truth behind 'god.'

Or something.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:53 PM #20 of 44
La Pucelle was like that as I recall. The church that Noir leads was used for the wrong intentions, but it's nowhere near as big as FFT or Xenogears.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:01 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 12:01 PM #21 of 44
XENOGEARS

I know everyone's said it, so what? It's also my most favorite game of all time, with my favorite kind of plot, 'religious conspiracy.' Let's see, trying to think of something not already mentioned. Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, but I could be wrong, I haven't finished the game yet. Shadow Hearts: Covenant has a subliminal cult theme in it. Theres also Xenosaga, though not as much abvout religion as Xenogears, its still pretty good.

Sharaz Jek
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10557

Level 3.31

Aug 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:49 PM #22 of 44
Though not great games, I think Lunar: Eternal Blue and Breath of Fire 2 were some of the first RPGs to use this plot point.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 08:17 PM #23 of 44
Breath of Fire 2. Probably one of the first games to pitch a religious group as the bad guys. I seriously can't think of a game prior to that which jabbed at such a subject. I'm amazed that Nintendo of America pulled it through stateside.

Edit -- o shi~
Didn't notice it in the first post.

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 08:43 PM #24 of 44
I honestly don't remember the corrupt religion in Xenogears. Are you guys talking about that monastery where it's mentioned in passing that the Priests liked sexing young dudes? If so *yawn*.

Xenogears had a lot of religious overtones derived from Gnosticism, but it wasn't exactly focusing on "corrupt religion."

Ultima VII was a great mention. Other PC games with religions that had more than meets the eye were Wasteland, Fallout, Temple of Elemental Evil (hah, bet you couldn't guess that one). The upcoming Age of Decadence has a joinable house that seeks to start up God worship and a cult the player character can help form into an honest-to-God religion.

Can't really think of many console games. The usual efforts to touch on religion come off as being pretty dumb.

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:32 AM #25 of 44
Originally Posted by Bradylama
I honestly don't remember the corrupt religion in Xenogears. Are you guys talking about that monastery where it's mentioned in passing that the Priests liked sexing young dudes? If so *yawn*.

Xenogears had a lot of religious overtones derived from Gnosticism, but it wasn't exactly focusing on "corrupt religion."

Ultima VII was a great mention. Other PC games with religions that had more than meets the eye were Wasteland, Fallout, Temple of Elemental Evil (hah, bet you couldn't guess that one). The upcoming Age of Decadence has a joinable house that seeks to start up God worship and a cult the player character can help form into an honest-to-God religion.

Can't really think of many console games. The usual efforts to touch on religion come off as being pretty dumb.
So, I guess you don't remember anything about Billy then? (the dude that's dressed like a altar boy, that uses guns in your party)

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Games where the plot revolves around a corrupt religion etc