Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Contra 4

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 04:58 PM #76 of 120
What Contra fan wouldn't want to get this? I just saw the gameplay footage and O...M...G, it's so old school that it totally rocks, it's just as hard as the originals (good that they didn't dumb down the difficulty like in the recent GBA rereleases), and the SPREAD GUN! ^_^

Virt, I've never heard any of your music before, but the Contra remix rocks. Hard.

This footage should shut up the idiots at GameFAQS (Then again, it's GFAQS) who think the game's gonna suck just because of the developer.

Edit: Oh hey, the game's only going to be 2 player co-op. I'm slightly disappointed that it's not 4 player, but it's no biggie. No news yet on online co-op.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Freelance; Jul 13, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 07:50 PM #77 of 120
My only complaints this far are that a full spread should be 5 bullets instead of three. Couple that with the screen being so much larger (vertically) I'd say that it's been a bit nerfed. I'd also prefer the Super C fireball. Lastly the machinegun sfx are terrible. It sounds so wimpy.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Hotobu; Jul 13, 2007 at 07:54 PM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:52 AM #78 of 120
Highly recommend you all check out this segment from Gamespot TV, featuring much more Contra 4 gameplay. Apparently all weapons can be upgraded to a second level, though I'm not sure how to obtain them. I'd assume you simply pick up two of the same item. An upgraded machine gun shoots this doubleshot thingy which can potentially do double damage to larger targets; an upgraded crush gun (<3) loses the limited range; the upgraded Fire weapon turns into the Super C Fireball (this one is odd, but most can agree that one is better anyway); the upgraded homing missle shoots in bursts of three like a spread gun (similar to the cheap as hell homing gun from Operation C), and we all should know what an upgraded Spread gun does.

Boss at 6:49 looks awesome. Contra always had more potential being vertically orientated, and it's full potential could possibly be realized by this. Wayforward definitely seems to know what they're doing.

Base stages return from Contra 1, and the bullets move incredibly fast. Hope it's toned down in the final version. I'm also disappointed in the lack of shadows for the bullets that would allow the player to gauge when the bullets reach your area. The arcade original did this, and the Base stages were far better because of it.

God I can't wait; I've been playing the other Contras to death.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Jul 15, 2007 at 12:00 PM.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:51 PM 1 #79 of 120
Just a small update. Here's what the boxart will look like:

Damn, that looks hella sweet.

By the way, it looks like online co-op is a no-go, although wireless co-op is in. Booo...

The game's coming November 13th, the same day Tale Spin vol 2 comes out on DVD. I can't bloody wait for both of them :3

FELIPE NO

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 12:55 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 03:55 PM #80 of 120
YES. GAME OF THE FOREVER.

Quote:
BONUS CONTENT AVAILABLE FOR CONTRA 4

20th Anniversary Virtual Museum, NES Versions of Contra and Super C,
Unlockable Characters and More

To commemorate the 20th anniversary of the popular Contra franchise of video games, Konami Digital Entertainment plans to incorporate a wealth of in-game bonus content into its latest entry in the run and gun action franchise, Contra 4 for the Nintendo DS™. The content includes:

• 20th Anniversary Virtual Museum – this museum provides a virtual history of the Contra franchise since the early 80’s, including box art, screen shots and information on every version of Contra from the US, Japan and Europe. The museum also features an unlockable gallery of bonus art.

• Unlockable Games – The NES versions of the classic Contra and Super C are now unlockable.

• 5 unlockable characters, including the Probotector from the European version of the Contra games

• 2 unlockable digital comic books from longtime Contra artist, Atsushi Tsujimoto

• An interview with noted Contra Producer Nobuya Nakazato
Set after the events of Contra III: Alien Wars, Contra 4 follows hardened mercs Bill Rizer and Lance Bean into battle against a new extraterrestrial threat, complete with larger-than-life-action, massive enemies, fast paced run ‘n’ gun combat and mind blowing set pieces. The unique dual screen presentation of the Nintendo DS™ allows for frantic action and mammoth boss encounters, and a grappling hook allows players to access hard to reach areas, or dodge that pesky attack from a foe.

Contra 4 features a variety of game modes, including 40 Challenge Modes that will test the limits of even the best Contra veterans, as well as full cooperative play through the main story mode, where two players can take up the fight for mankind and destroy the evil forces of the Black Viper.
PLAY AS PROBOTECTOR. MY BLADDER!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 08:28 AM #81 of 120
Wait, so the original Contra and Super C are both on the same cart?

Holy shit, I'm picking this up the day it's released.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:05 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 09:05 AM #82 of 120
That box art alone is so fucking full of win that I would purchase the game based on that ALONE. But to include the NES Contra and Super C on the same cart and all that other unlockable shit?

MUST BUY PREORDERING THIS SHIT

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:07 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 11:07 AM #83 of 120
I'm thinking that this may wind up being one of the best Contra's in the history of EVER. When does this come out again? Cause I'm all about that first day pickup right now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 05:43 PM #84 of 120
Nov 13. I said that in my post :(

What would have made Contra IV super uber awesome instead of being merely super awesome would be if Contra 3 (my fave Contra game) was included as well. I mean, it's a sequel to that game, so why not add it?

I think Contra IV has the best DS boxart I've ever seen. Who agrees with me?

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:14 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 02:14 AM 1 #85 of 120
PLAY AS PROBOTECTOR. MY BLADDER!
MINE TOO

HOLY SHIT THERE IT GOES AGAIN

TOWELS!

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:43 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 03:43 PM #86 of 120
IGN preview! :]

Quote:
Contra 4 is, literally, a true-to-life follow-up to Super NES. It's an over-adrenalized shooter platformer with tons of bad guys to blast and even more bullets to avoid. It's as if the game really does pick up where the Super Nintendo version left off. Apart from the increased color depth Contra 4 looks and sounds like it was lifted right out of the 16-bit era, with tremendously difficult, challenging, almost unforgiving gameplay to match.

The Super NES design has been updated with a few key elements. Weapons now have a multitier system: snag a power-up that's the same that you're currently wielding and it'll upgrade it to a more powerful version. Already have a cool weapon in-hand? Tap the shoulder button and switch over to the second weapon slot. You can switch back and forth between the two weapons on-the-fly
Quote:
On top of all this, your character now has a limited grapple system. It's not as versatile an item as the one that Bionic Commando utilizes, but it's enough to grasp onto platforms high above and pull yourself up out of the fire and onto higher ground.
Quote:
The thing is, even on Normal difficulty, Contra 4 is brutal. It'll take a dozen tries at least to get through the first level and defeat the boss, and by then you'll be down too many continues to get through the rest of the insanely difficult challenges. Don't think for a second that this game will be a cakewalk to plow through - it took us an hour of practice to snag a somewhat clean runthough of Level One in video.
YES. DS game of the year, everything game of the year, not as good as Spindizzy Worlds now there was a Contra game alright. 0/10 The music is so rad.

Internet
Hideos

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:41 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 07:41 PM #87 of 120
This is easily the best celebration game that Konami has brought out. Why didn't they do something similar for Castlevania? I still think CoM's box art was better, but then it's really an entirely different style.

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 05:51 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 01:51 PM #88 of 120
Hopefully they keep the shoulder button keeping your character in place while you aim around the screen thingie!

Wonderfully promising so far! No compromise. I love it <3

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 05:55 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 08:55 PM #89 of 120

Website is up! EVERYTHING YOU CLICK CAUSES AN EXPLOSION (OF AWESOME). Has some neat wallpaper, but most importantly, they snuck a screen of Contra 4'd Probotector in the screenshot gallery. =D To the Alt + Prt Scr mobile!

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:39 AM #90 of 120
Thanks for the link, man. The wallpaper on there are awesome :3

Now all I need is a Contra game for the PSP for maximum handheld goodness!

Most amazing jew boots
boltzman84
Hardcore Gamer

Member 15772

Level 7.08

Nov 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 06:54 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2007, 05:54 PM #91 of 120
Oh, yes! This game is gonna be ridiculous....all that 2-D side scrolling goodness is back!!!

Interesting how all the classic games seem to always be the most hyped up and best selling titles. I mean, look at the New Super Mario Bros. They did the exact same thing...keep the best side-scrolling stuff and add to it. I wanna see more games like this coming out from Konami and Nintendo.

Most amazing jew boots
ApOkwARG
IDDQD

Member 23708

Level 7.77

Aug 2007

Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:13 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 03:13 AM #92 of 120
The addition of the Probotector guy is totally awesome, nostalgia all the way! I grew up with Probotector unknowingly it was Contra (thank you Europe) until I saw the amazing similarities later on the interweb. Good thing they leave games intact these days, it sucks when they decide to rape the boxart and game content.

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 11:42 AM Local time: Nov 5, 2007, 04:42 AM #93 of 120
Ditto! I always thought that robots were infinitely cooler than guerillas, but I'm starting to see different these days.

BTW, can anyone tell me if there are any differences between the characters here and what they are??

ApOkwARG
IDDQD

Member 23708

Level 7.77

Aug 2007

Old Nov 5, 2007, 09:07 AM Local time: Nov 5, 2007, 04:07 PM #94 of 120
As far as I can tell they all play the same, except for looks. They are all official characters from the Contra universe though.
I wonder if there's a difficulty mode where the gamespeed gets boosted to play more like Contra: Hard Corps, that would be totally awesome.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:47 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 11:47 AM #95 of 120
UghGN review is up!

8/10

I like how they cry over the graphics because it's 2D (??)

Quote:
7.5 Graphics
It looks good, but It's a step backwards in visual appeal from other Contra sequels with its pixel art focus...intentionally so since this is meant as a follow-up to the 16-bit games.
Oh well, at least they didn't complain about a game not having licensed music and voice acting for once.

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:48 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 05:48 AM #96 of 120
GAY-GEE-EN often don't know what they're talking about it seems

Then again, the idea of giving a numerical value for presentation in games is in itself already silly.

It seems as though this really could be the greatest DS game ever (after possibly Ouendan). Proper sequel, true to its roots and predecessors, made by people who love Contra, for people who love Contra. Uncompromising, gimmick free, beautiful.

I'll just order mine from DVDboxoffice in the morning, as should you Infernal :3

They usually don't manage to get you the game by launch date, but it's better than waiting for three years for the European release, and about 300€ cheaper.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:38 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 03:38 PM #97 of 120

I'll just order mine from DVDboxoffice in the morning, as should you Infernal :3.
That's a good price for nutmeg! I'll hop on the order-mobile sometime soon! =)

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:28 PM #98 of 120
I called EB at the Square One mall today at work and they said it's coming on the 19th. 19th?!?! Well that sucks! I wonder if it's the same for all the other stores in Ontario.

Has anyone actually played it yet? Nobody posted anything so I was wondering.

P.S. To unlock Contra and Super C, you have to win the game (use Easy mode for that) to unlock Challenge mode, and then complete several missions to unlock stuff:

UPDATE:

Beat 4 challenges: NES Contra
Beat 8 challenges: NES Super C
Beat 12 challenges: Probotector character
Beat 16 challenges: Nobuya Nakazato interview
Beat 20 challenges: Lucia character
Beat 24 challenges: Contra III comic

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Freelance; Nov 15, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:44 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 10:44 PM #99 of 120
I am on the website listening to the music loop over and over. I need a DS. =(

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:05 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 11:05 PM #100 of 120
Ahahaha oh wow.

Spoiler:
Apparently inputting the Konami Code (only works in normal and hard mode) when the game is paused will upgrade your weapon to the next level, if you try it again though, you instantly die when you unpause.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Contra 4