Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Possible to change virutal memory?

gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 05:50 AM #1 of 10
Possible to change virutal memory?

Hi

I've been having memory trouble with an online game that I play. I get this blue screen of death and it starts to count to 100, telling that it's dumping some memory. I think it's a virtual memory issue.
It only happens have I have a lot of monsters on the screen - and I really don't know what to do to prevent getting the memory dumping error.

I tried setting the graphics settings to minimum and it still crashes.

My specs on my PC is:
- dual core
- 2.1 Ghz
- 4 GB mem
- Vista 64

A guy that I play with mentioned that I could change my virual memory? How and how much should I set my virtual memory?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
shadoweave
Chocobo

Member 23806

Level 9.35

Aug 2007

Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:31 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2009, 07:31 PM #2 of 10
Actually, with 4GB of RAM, there's very little chance it can be a lack of virtual memory.

But in any case, go to System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced -> Change Virtual Memory

2048 should be more than sufficient in my opinion.

Personally though, I'd do a memtest to check if the problem could be your physical RAM instead.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:36 AM #3 of 10
Hmm...not sure what you mean. I can't really do something with the physcial memory can I?
But I took a screenshot of my virutal memory settings:

It looks ok?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:50 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2009, 12:50 PM #4 of 10
Hmm...not sure what you mean. I can't really do something with the physcial memory can I?
You can test it, to make sure there aren't any faults. If you find a fault, you can replace it. There's a bootable CD image you can download called MemTest86, give it a try. Let it run overnight or through the day while you're at work. A good few hours. If it finds anything, there's a real possibility you've got some faulty RAM.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:47 PM Local time: Jun 1, 2009, 10:47 AM #5 of 10
After adopting my computer here at work because nobody else could figure out why there were constant blue screens I figured I'd give a few days of troubleshooting to get it up to speed (my other choice was a Pentium 3 =\).

Ran memtest overnight, and it found a faulty module. Replaced the stick with an old one from home and computer almost completely stopped blue screening (turns out video card was also faulty!).

But, yeah, run memtest and see how it does. I think you can even run it off of a floppy if memory serves correctly. If there's no floppy in your PC you can probably boot off of a USB stick.

I was speaking idiomatically.
shadoweave
Chocobo

Member 23806

Level 9.35

Aug 2007

Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:51 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2009, 06:51 PM #6 of 10
But I took a screenshot of my virutal memory settings:

It looks ok?
With that screenshot, I can most likely say that it's nothing to do with the virtual mem. You have 4GB in physical ram, and 4gb in virtual memory. Like I mentioned previously, and like the rest said, use memtest to check for a faulty ram stick.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:15 PM #7 of 10
Having the same problems when changing the max memory.
Guess I'll try memtest :|

FELIPE NO
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:29 PM #8 of 10
It should be noted that almost all BSODs say they are dumping memory. That's done so that an error report can be generated and sent to the mothership in Redmond.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the nature of your hardware error. You are most likely chasing down the wrong path.

Induce this error again and write down the information that the first arrow is pointing to, and everything below where the second arrow is pointing:

And, obviously, report back to us what you get.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:09 AM #9 of 10
A friend of mine recommended a software called TuneUp 2009 - I don't know if anybody in here have used it, but I installed it and the software fixed some of the problems it detected.

I will try the online game later today and see if the memory problem still pops up.
btw, it seems that it was a physical memory problem, not virtual memory.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:50 AM Local time: Jun 6, 2009, 03:50 PM #10 of 10
If it's a physical memory problem, then you really need to replace the modules. Memory isn't expensive, save yourself the hassle and just replace it with good brand name stuff.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Possible to change virutal memory?