Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Suggestions on a new TV

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:08 PM #1 of 10
Suggestions on a new TV

I currently have a Samsung TX R2765 27" CRT flat screen TV. Still in pretty good shape but I'd like to upgrade to a widescreen flat-panel TV.

The size can be anywhere between at least 46 inches to 55 inches.

I'll mostly be using it for gaming, watching anime, and watching videos from my computer via the component output from my video card (which will get upgraded to a vid card that has hdmi output). Of course I'll be watching the usual channels especially football and hockey (whenever that starts).

I'm leaning towards Plasma since I've read that's what is best for gaming and since my viewing angle to my current TV most of the time is around a 45 degree angle. I might consider LED, though.

Requirements: 3D, 1080p, Ethernet Port, 1 VGA Input.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:11 PM #2 of 10
Is it really THAT worth it to get? I'm pretty sure you could save a nice handful of money without that feature.
I figured since I'm upgrading that I may as well get it. It seems like more games are trying to incorporate that feature.

Edit: Also, rearrange your furniture. 45 degree viewing angle is just being ridiculous. It'll be a pain in the ass with 3D too.
It's because I'm at my computer most of the time. Most of the time when I'm gaming, I switch over to the couch or just roll my computer chair in front of the tv.

Also, after looking at a chart regarding tv size and distance it looks like the max has been reduced to 50". Still leaning towards Plasma since the Samsung upstairs in the living room has been awesome. I've become a Samsung freak lately so I may go that route but still keeping an open mind to other brands like Panasonic, Vizio, and LG.

I currently have a lot of my older systems unhooked. The only ones that are still up from before this generation are the XBox, PS2, Dreamcast, and Sega Genesis/CD. The Dreamcast is the reason I'm looking for the VGA input, I have the box that will output the signal.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'm hoping to grab something by the end of this month or next month, not sure if I can hold off until Black Friday.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:53 PM #3 of 10
Well through all of the suggestions and research, I've narrowed it down to 8 possibilities: 3 Plasma and 5 LED 4 possibilities: 2 Plasma and 2 LED. I've noted what was required as well as the extra perks that come with it:

1st choice:

UN46D8000YF

Samsung - 46" Class / LED / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D / HDTV - Silver

Instant Content: Netflix, Skype, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blockbuster, Hulu Plus, ConnectShare and ESPN

HDMI Ports: 4
Component: 1
Composite: 0
PC: 1
Ethernet: Yes
3D-Ready: Yes

Warranty: 1 year

Remote Control: QWERTY
AM/FM Tuner: Yes
Simulated Surround: Yes

Regular Price: $2,799.99
Best Buy: $1,799.99
Amazon.com via Paul's TV: $1,499.97

2nd choice (tie):

TC-P50GT30

Panasonic - VIERA 50" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D / HDTV

Instant Content: CinemaNow, Napster, Facebook, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Alphaline, USTREAM, Break.com, SHOUTcast, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, AP, accuWeather, Dow Jones, Bodymedia, Digital River, Accedo (games) and AIM (games)

Component: 1
Composite: 1
Internet Connectable: Yes

Regular Price: $1,899.95
Best Buy: $1,199.98
Sears: $1,199.99
Amazon.com: $1,074.96

2nd choice (tie):

PN51D8000F

Samsung - 51" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D / HDTV

Instant Content: Netflix, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Skype

Component: 2
Composite: 1

Regular Price: $2,299.98
Best Buy: $1,899.98
Sears: $1,878.91
Amazon.com via Paul's TV: $1,499.25

4th choice:

47LW6500

LG - INFINIA / 47" Class / LED / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D / HDTV

Instant Content: Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, MLB.com, Facebook and more

Component: 2
Composite: 0
RF: 1

AM/FM Tuner: Yes
Simulated Surround: Yes
Remote: Magic Motion

Regular Price: $1,639.99
Best Buy: $1,189.99
Amazon.com: $1,111.54

Has anyone had any experience with the above TV's or the LG TV's in general? They seem to be on sale for less than some of the Samsung and Panasonic, but I have no idea how reliable they are. Both of my monitors are Samsung as is my old TV and they've been pretty good to me. I haven't bought much Panasonic stuff, but I don't recall them being bad.

I'm waiting for Labor Day weekend and opening kickoff weekend to see if any of these drop more in price.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by SuperSonic; Sep 3, 2011 at 01:36 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Suggestions on a new TV