Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Hope I die before I get old....

Sal
Surrounded by Roos

Member 1070

Level 7.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:32 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 02:32 AM #1 of 10
Hope I die before I get old....

... Sadly this hasn't happened for The Who, but they still rock better than any band out there. IMO but i'm biased. Anyway...

Recently there have been a lot of older rockers going out on tour and yet it's not just the die-hard fans that they're pulling to their gigs, it's the younger folks that are coming along too, seemingly knowing a hell of a lot of their work which seems to be suprising these old geezers.

So if you're young (and if you're posting here I presume you are) and listen to the older stuff like The Who, Rolling Stones, Cream, Queen + Paul Rodgers or whoever else is kicking around, why do you follow them? Do you follow them enough to go to one of their gigs?

Personally I would, i've seen Queen + Paul Rodgers live and it was bloody amazing, The Who are on their first world tour very soon and the first date I can get to , I'm there. They're also bringing a new album out soon (October I think) with new material, they've released a single - a new mini-opera and it sounds fucking brilliant so far.

Eitherway, if you listen to older bands - why? What's the appeal to you? Are they better than younger bands or not?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 08:00 PM #2 of 10
I listen to older music, but I listen to new music too. I don't really care when it's from.

The Who are playing my city and the tickets are $200. That's fucking ridiculous. I'd never pay that much to see any band, let alone The Who, who are at this point half dead. The Who were great in their day, the records prove that. Now they're just milking it for all they can get. The thrill is gone.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:09 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 03:09 AM #3 of 10
Why should it matter if they are old? I listen to a band because of the music, not just because they worn tight leather pants back then or whatever. Old or new music is still music all the same. I'd hate to compare bands then and now, but we have so much choice and we listen to what we like. Who cares about the charts? Who cares about album sales? It's most important to be able to differentiate the music you enjoy and that you don't.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sal
Surrounded by Roos

Member 1070

Level 7.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:18 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 03:18 AM #4 of 10
A Ha! Sadly The Who themselves have nothing to do with ticket prices but a lot of peeps have complained about in nonetheless. It's down to promoters and such likes for some reason ticket prices for such bands always cost more in the US, Pete Townshend has said this himself - The Who don't set the prices. And I believe him. E.g. It is actually more expensive to go an see 'We Will Rock You' the Queen Musical that it is to go and see Queen & Paul Rodgers. Go figure, I know which I'd rather go and see.

I have to disagree with you on The Who are half-dead & milking it point. It's definetly not the same as it was with Entwistle & Moon but it's still good, and Townshend's still writing some of the best stuff he's written for years, Roger's voice isn't what it was but it's improving as the tour goes on and the rest of the band are backing them up pretty damned well. Their new single's out now called 'Wire & Glass'. Worth a sniff. Wait for the new album though, should be good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2006, 09:53 PM #5 of 10
I like some of the older bands, but I'm kind of tired of this classic rock revival. I enjoy the Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and many others, but I wouldn't pay the prices that the current traveling bands are asking. Set by the bands or not, I refuse to pay more than $50 for a ticket. They've left their mark on music, please stop touring and keep your dignity.

And I really wish that the current crop of rock bands would stop ripping off 20 year old riffs and call them their own.

I was speaking idiomatically.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 02:27 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 01:27 AM #6 of 10
I'm going to see The Who on their current tour in about 3 months. They're one of those bands that I just feel like I have to see them. I'm not the biggest Who fan in the world, but this is most likely the only chance in my life I will ever get to see them perform.

They were also only 80 bucks Canadian for pretty decent seats. If they were $200, I wouldn't be going either.

How ya doing, buddy?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:02 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 11:02 AM #7 of 10
the most i'd ever spend on a concert ticket (which I rarely go to) would probably be like 30 bucks.
Theres also a lot of fanbands going on nowadays too. A while back, a band by the name of 65 (i wanna say that, i may be wrong.) came through my town, a Beatles band. Hell, the members actually looked like the Beatles. Sadly i missed the show due to work D:
but i'd probably go see The Who if their ticket prices weren't like 200 bucks a pop.

FELIPE NO
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 02:21 PM #8 of 10
I basically grew up on classic rock, but I do enjoy a lot of current rock. I love the music of Queen, ZZ Top, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Steve Miller Band, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Survivor, and the list goes on. However, it's rare to see a band tour around this region, so chances are slim that I'll be able to see any of them in concert anytime soon.

The reason I listen to older bands is because the new music scene is going downhill. I like music that has great lyrics with depth and Pop just doesn't have that. I do like very little rap and R&B, but I don't like the majority of it since the message is mainly, "I'm so bad that I shoot cops and do drugs and slap my bitch around while buying new bling for my mercedes." However, in America that is the majority of the music on the airwaves.

I'm sorry, but when the media starts claiming that Ashlee Simpson and Lindsay Lohan are "rock", then I need somewhere to go in order to listen to real rock. I'm glad that there are still some real rock bands out there, but I am a little worried about the future of rock in America. Thank God for classic rockers. Rock on!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
kinkymagic
I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

Member 1409

Level 16.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 09:11 PM #9 of 10
Old Bands I would like to see:-

New York Dolls (Dead)

Velvet Underground (Split)

MC 5

Captain Beefhart

Frank Zappa (Dead)

The Clash (Dead)

Brian Eno

Robert Wyatt

Rolling Stones

T Rex (Dead)

There's still as much great music being made as there ever was, only there is much more crap being made too.

There's others, but I can't be bothered right now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

“When I slap you you'll take it and like it.”
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 04:31 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 03:31 PM #10 of 10
Originally Posted by kinkymagic
Old Bands I would like to see:-

New York Dolls (Dead)

MC 5

Captain Beefheart
Well, the New York Dolls are currently touring, with a revised line up of course, so you might have some hope there. Most of MC5 is dead also, and Captain Beefheart has no plans to return to music, sadly.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Hope I die before I get old....