Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] First-ever mother/son arrangement collaboration at OC ReMix! (Kingdom Hearts: CoM)

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 01:50 AM #1 of 21
First-ever mother/son arrangement collaboration at OC ReMix! (Kingdom Hearts: CoM)

We've got a lot of cool things happening lately at OverClocked ReMix. The beta for Capcom's Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is out on Xbox Live Arcade, and fans are getting excited about hearing the entirety of OC ReMix's first professional game soundtrack. Our next free digital release collaborative album, Doom II's Delta-Q-Delta, is nearing completion, the sequel to Doom's The Dark Side of Phobos. And we've got interviews up with Wipeout series' composer Tim "CoLD SToRAGE" Wright and DDR's Dain "Beatdrop" Olsen.

It's already been a big summer for us and, while we've had one after another of big ReMix after big ReMix from titles like Final Fantasy XII, Super Dodge Ball, EarthBound, Mega Man III, Metal Gear, Sonic the Hedgehog, we've got a little something different with our latest:

Fans of Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts can check out our newest ReMix from the Game Boy Advance entry in the series, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Doug "DrumUltimA" Perry and his mother Sharon Dennison, affectionately known as "MomUltimA" have provided OC ReMix's first-ever mother-son collaboration with "That's What You Get", arranging Yoko Shimomura's original piece "Graceful Assassin".

Doug Perry is currently a Percussion Performance major at Johns Hopkins' Peabody Conservatory of music, while his mother Sharon Dennison serves Connecticut's Hartford Symphony as its assistant principal violinist. Together they've put together an excellent arrangement chock full of synths, more types of percussion than you can count on one hand, some light vocals and Dennison bringing out her elegant viola work to add the all-important final piece of the puzzle.

Download the arrangement for free from OverClocked ReMix, and please sign in to our forums and leave us your comments or reviews of the piece once you check it out. Do us a favor and tell any fans of Square Enix, Kingdom Hearts or video game music to swing by OCR and download this one. And if you're a fan of good music in general, "That's What You Get" at OverClocked ReMix. Thanks everyone!

Larry "Liontamer" Oji
Head Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix
Creator, VG Frequency
Staff, VGMdb

P.S. Keep your eyes peeled too, because when we get to OC ReMix #1731, it'll finally be the debut of our first-ever live orchestral ReMix from a classic Sony RPG. You'll be hearing about that as well! (Kaleb and CHz know what I'm talking about. Yes, finally!)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:03 AM #2 of 21
Not that I don't believe you on that Street Fighter XBox Live Arcade think, but is there an article or announcement with details? I'm curious.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:10 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 07:10 AM 1 #3 of 21
They're using some tracks from Blood on the Asphalt, Chuck. I'm certainly glad there's an option to use the original soundtrack in light of this.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:58 PM #4 of 21
Not that I don't believe you on that Street Fighter XBox Live Arcade think, but is there an article or announcement with details? I'm curious.
Overclocked Oji Q&A : Nostalgiaholic.com
OverClocked ReMix talk Super Streetfighter II Turbo Review | FidgetOnline.com
http://www.capcom-unity.com/super_st...do_you_like_it

Some more stuff will be coming up in the coming weeks.

They're using some tracks from Blood on the Asphalt, Chuck. I'm certainly glad there's an option to use the original soundtrack in light of this.
Hahaha! Always a smartass in the minority, but that's life on the interwebz. I hope you end up enjoying something though. We've got a mix of BotA tracks, OC ReMixes and newly created material, so hopefully we'll catch you with something so that you'll admit you fucked up and jumped the gun. Doujin-hating!!!!!!!

Soooooooooo...Kingdom Hearts...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 3, 2008, 06:55 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 04:55 PM #5 of 21
Hahaha! Always a smartass in the minority, but that's life on the interwebz. I hope you end up enjoying something though. We've got a mix of BotA tracks, OC ReMixes and newly created material, so hopefully we'll catch you with something so that you'll admit you fucked up and jumped the gun.
I'm not gonna hate on the overall success of the project and what it means to your people, Oji. Because success is to be recognized, first and foremost. So congratulations, keep doing what you're doing, even in the face of my "smartassedness" But I'm not putting on the kiddie gloves or tune my brain to "internet", so I would expect not to be taken as such.

Prove me wrong.

Anyway, it'd be a lie to say I didn't cringe the instant I saw "Blood on the Asphalt" pop up in the background when David Sirlin was talking up the project at Gamercyte and various other places. There are a few good tracks here and there, but overall, I'm not impressed. I could verbally pat you on the back for the tracks that are awesome, but that's not what you need to hear from me. Especially with a vocal majority who do dig the music.

Basically, why would I want to play a soundtrack with a few good tunes and things I find audibly offensive when I can just listen to the original tunes made for the game that I know and love? As far as personal comments go, I'd say, at the very least, your tunes made it out a lot better than the sprite work.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:40 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 08:40 PM #6 of 21
Basically, why would I want to play a soundtrack with a few good tunes and things I find audibly offensive when I can just listen to the original tunes made for the game that I know and love?
Exactly. OCR most definitely can't and doesn't expect to "win 'em all," and including the original soundtrack ensures that everyone stays happy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:56 PM #7 of 21
Well, you know, if it's got the Ken Song, it's got my vote for FANTASTIC.

How ya doing, buddy?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Liontamer

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:12 PM #8 of 21
I'm not gonna hate on the overall success of the project and what it means to your people, Oji. Because success is to be recognized, first and foremost. So congratulations, keep doing what you're doing, even in the face of my "smartassedness" But I'm not putting on the kiddie gloves or tune my brain to "internet", so I would expect not to be taken as such.

Prove me wrong.

Anyway, it'd be a lie to say I didn't cringe the instant I saw "Blood on the Asphalt" pop up in the background when David Sirlin was talking up the project at Gamercyte and various other places. There are a few good tracks here and there, but overall, I'm not impressed. I could verbally pat you on the back for the tracks that are awesome, but that's not what you need to hear from me. Especially with a vocal majority who do dig the music.

Basically, why would I want to play a soundtrack with a few good tunes and things I find audibly offensive when I can just listen to the original tunes made for the game that I know and love? As far as personal comments go, I'd say, at the very least, your tunes made it out a lot better than the sprite work.
No, no, no, that's OK, we don't need to prove you wrong. Like I said, I just hope we get you with something where you go "damn, I was wrong, and I fucked up," and that's the best we can hope for. As long as the major majority doesn't cringe, cringe away. People have cringed at the 3DO soundtrack, so it doesn't mean much, and I know you can't please 'em all. Thanks for the props on at least securing the soundtrack. Hope to get you to cringe worse for the next soundtrack, only for you to end up liking something!

Exactly. OCR most definitely can't and doesn't expect to "win 'em all," and including the original soundtrack ensures that everyone stays happy.
No. Ever since "Bad Tuna", we win 'em all.

Well, you know, if it's got the Ken Song, it's got my vote for FANTASTIC.
Sorry, bro. No dice. But hopefully you'll enjoy Sixto Sounds' "Made in U.S.A." and the brand new AE/Prozax collab that remixed Ken's theme as the menu music.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:29 PM 1 #9 of 21
DON'T YOU FUCKING DISS BAD TUNA. THAT IS THE SHIT.

sorry about that, but that's a button for me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:42 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2008, 08:42 PM #10 of 21
I've never heard a bad Ken's Theme arrangement, myself. But there is plenty of years ahead to have that oppurtunity. I liked almost all of BotA, myself.

This mom/son track is pretty good. I like it. I've never heard the original track, granted.
However, critically speaking, but synth and violin don't blend together as well as I'd like. Perhaps if the violin was distorted, or the synth wasn't so artificial or high pitched...dunno.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2008, 02:08 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 01:08 AM #11 of 21
BTW the mother/son thing is cute/embarrassing and all, but does it really warrant its own announcement?

Liontamer

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2008, 01:57 PM #12 of 21
BTW the mother/son thing is cute/embarrassing and all, but does it really warrant its own announcement?
Of course it does. Can you get YOUR mom to do a video game remix?

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2008, 08:12 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 07:12 PM #13 of 21
Well most collabs are going to be a first *something*. First piano/drum collab, first Indian/Hispanic collab, first group boogie Super Dodge Ball collab, etc...

Last edited by Dhsu; Jul 6, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 6, 2008, 09:03 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 07:03 PM #14 of 21
It's a news update and the collaboration is what sets it apart from the SEVERAL OTHER RELEASED REMIXES THAT GOT IN THE GATE WITH IT, Dhsu. For their site, that would make it news worthy.

How ya doing, buddy?
Liontamer

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:11 AM 1 #15 of 21
It's a news update and the collaboration is what sets it apart from the SEVERAL OTHER RELEASED REMIXES THAT GOT IN THE GATE WITH IT, Dhsu. For their site, that would make it news worthy.
You have to bear with him, Rotor, because he's kind of slow. :-D

FELIPE NO
Arcubalis
Syklis Orange

Member 16892

Level 13.48

Dec 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:04 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2008, 11:04 PM #16 of 21
You have to bear with him, Rotor, because he's kind of slow. :-D
Yeah Dhsu, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?!1111

Most amazing jew boots
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 01:04 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2008, 12:04 PM #17 of 21
I diss in your general direction!

Again, the remixes I listed are also collabs and also have aspects that separate it from other remixes that got in the gate with them, so why no announcement for them? And why are the first Super Dodge Ball and Ragnarok Online (excuse me, Ragnarök Online) arrangements and their associated albums not newsworthy? Why the cross-community post, instead of just mentioning it in the write-up like always? If this is just the first in a new trend for OCR, that's fine, I was just curious as to an explanation.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Dhsu; Jul 7, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jul 7, 2008, 01:25 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2008, 01:25 PM 1 #18 of 21
My thoughts are more or less aligned with Dhsu's own, though I think it's potentially a good thing. That being said, the 'first mother/son combination thing' seemed a bit like a joke. Why does this matter and what is the relevance with this that it should trump firsts for other innovations to vgm remixes?

That being said, I realize that having orchestral performers of a high caliber contributing tracks to the vg remix cause provides a greater incentive for people to take the site seriously. As I mentioned before, perhaps this will be a good thing.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:30 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2008, 12:30 PM #19 of 21
I SUSPECT THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS TONGUE IN CHEEK, I DEMAND A DETAILED EXPLANATION

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:14 AM Local time: Jul 8, 2008, 03:14 AM #20 of 21
I actually didn't suspect that, so that's the best theory so far.

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:34 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2008, 07:34 PM #21 of 21
Keep your eyes peeled too, because when we get to OC ReMix #1731, it'll finally be the debut of our first-ever live orchestral ReMix from a classic Sony RPG. You'll be hearing about that as well! (Kaleb and CHz know what I'm talking about. Yes, finally!)
Finally is right. That was recorded almost a year and a half ago!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [News] First-ever mother/son arrangement collaboration at OC ReMix! (Kingdom Hearts: CoM)