Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 02:35 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 09:35 PM #101 of 1533
Originally Posted by Pietak
Regarding another idea, isn't postmodernism based on the idea of relativism? To which is the belief of everyone having their own opinion, and there is no good or bad? That would technically say that the norm and abnormal are just as good. But:
Spoiler:
Doesn't GW's purpose outline a more "t" truth approach? Using conventional modernism? Using logic to decipher what should be revealed to the public, and what should be regarded as useless information?
To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean. You can't pin down postmodernism with a simple definition like that, it's a very broad term. Regardless, when people talk about postmodernism in MGS2, I believe they refer mostly to the style of presentation (realism mixed with the supernatural, breaking down the fourth wall, Marvel comix-ish showdowns hand in hand with serious discussion about genes and information), not the details of plot.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 03:32 PM #102 of 1533
http://ps3.qj.net/ listed something about a "running MGS4 demo" on their site, but the link wouldn't work. The site itself is also taking forever just to load. You think it's genuine? I thought it would be a little too early to have E3 videos leaked.

http://ps3.qj.net/Metal-Gear-Solid-4...g/49/aid/32343

Link still doesn't work, as of this writing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 10:36 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 07:36 PM #103 of 1533
Originally Posted by Keym
Yes.

What? Overtake the movies? I'm done talking here. Not worth it.
You must certainly are, I don't know where you've been the last decade.

Games Vs Movies article 1

Video Game Industry Gets Serious

Peter Molyneux Interview

"Just as many cinema snobs will be quick to point out that film is the ultimate multifaceted art form, hardcore gamers will adamantly defend their favorite medium’s artistic merit. Combining elements of cinema, the formal arts, music and sound design, as well as the all-important interactivity of game play mechanics, video games stand to overtake film as both the most popular, and advanced of any artistic medium. Big studios like Warner Bros. will always distribute blockbuster movies, and large game publishers like Electronic Arts will always distribute best selling games. A visit to the cinema can communicate a message from creator to audience in a deeply emotional way that took writers, producers and directors years to perfect. Hopefully the developing medium of the video game will be given enough artistic breathing room for creators to construct emotional messages that are communicated to the audience not just through passive viewing, but through immersive experience." - Closing statement from :
Can a Video Game constitute as art?

There, educate yourself. I don't sprout nonsense unless I clearly state that it's my opinion, this however is not an 'opinion', it is a fact that is happening as we speak. That is why the movie industry is trying to get their hands in the money and are starting to invest even more in video game production.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Cel; May 1, 2006 at 10:41 PM.
Keym
Syklis Green

Member 2135

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 12:24 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 02:24 AM #104 of 1533
Ugh. Just because some article is stating someone else's [b]opinion/[b] on a matter does not make it a fact, for god's sakes. It's not going to happen. Do you REALLY see the 30-50 year old demographic playing videogames in mass? How would they, anyway? Most of them don't even have the time between their work and families. Why do you think movies are only 2 hours long on average?

*shakes head*

I could go on and on. It's sad that you take what you think as "fact" when all that's happening right now is speculation. Ridiculous speculation at that. =\

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: May 1, 2006, 10:25 PM #105 of 1533
How old are you? I had a kid stop me in a wal-mart once and ask me why my friend was buying a transformers collectors edition, he suggested that we should be out drinking and having parties and getting wasted. The kid was 10. I told him to wait until he's our age and then he can decided what he should do with his life. Just goes to show what the next generation is already thinking about how life should be.

There is a handful of 60 year olds playing FFXI right now as we speak, I have more than 3 friends on the game that are over 30, i'm only 7 years away from that, you think I won't be playing till i'm 50 or more? just because you don't have time, doesn't mean you won't be able to play games. People will play games for whatever little time they can. Me? i'm going to develop them, that's why i'm attending the art institute, what people do with their lives is completely up to them, but you can't base the past generation on their looks of today's entertainment. Just how the generation before us liked different music, we are gonna like different music, and we'll keep liking it till we die. We are the new generation and i'm telling you right now, yes, we are going to be playing games till the day we die.

Go look up a census of the average age of players in games. You'll find some interesting facts, don't base knowledge on your look of things.

Just for the record, I didn't read the whole "game industry is gonna overtake the movie industry" in some website. There was more than a couple of seminars by people in the industry at our school who invested some of their monologue about said topic.

Ugh. Just because some article is stating someone else's [b]opinion/[b] on a matter does not make it a fact, for god's sakes.
You're just in sad, sad denial. Dunno why you even bother to argue facts. You probably didn't even click any of those links, and if you did, you didn't read them thoroughly, otherwise you'd have more to say than "for god's sakes".

*shakes head*
:eyebrow:

I could go on and on. It's sad that you take what you think as "fact" when all that's happening right now is speculation. Ridiculous speculation at that. =\
No.. actually you can't go on and on. I'm providing you with solid facts and interviews about what's currently happening, while you sit there running your mouth off. Do yourself a favor and just, don't post anymore if you don't want to agree with me, or if you got the balls, just agree with me and get this over with, because honest to god, you don't know a fuck about shit. You can at least argue with me about something you claim to know, like MGS, but don't even try to pretend like you know anything about the future of the industry.

If you really wanna learn something, look up the god site for all industry news and job listings, maybe you'll get an idea of how it all works. Gamasutra.

I'm done ranting and arguing with you, you have absolutely no valid proof for your arguments and your complaints are stale and empty with nothing more informative than- "i'm right and you're wrong cuz I said so"-barrage of nonsense.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Cel; May 2, 2006 at 02:14 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 03:28 PM #106 of 1533
Why you gotta ruin a good argument with a dumb picture like that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 09:42 AM #107 of 1533
Video games will never reach the status of film.

How ya doing, buddy?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 06:40 PM #108 of 1533
Yes, Hollywood, keep those masterpieces coming.

How ya doing, buddy?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 03:36 PM #109 of 1533
Originally Posted by Cel

Not agreeing with you, but that picture made me smile. :biggrin:

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 10:44 AM #110 of 1533
it's from one of my favorite movies, I just had to post it regardless how dumb it is lol.

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 05:34 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 03:34 AM #111 of 1533
Originally Posted by Cel
You must certainly are, I don't know where you've been the last decade.

Games Vs Movies article 1

Video Game Industry Gets Serious

Peter Molyneux Interview

"Just as many cinema snobs will be quick to point out that film is the ultimate multifaceted art form, hardcore gamers will adamantly defend their favorite medium’s artistic merit. Combining elements of cinema, the formal arts, music and sound design, as well as the all-important interactivity of game play mechanics, video games stand to overtake film as both the most popular, and advanced of any artistic medium. Big studios like Warner Bros. will always distribute blockbuster movies, and large game publishers like Electronic Arts will always distribute best selling games. A visit to the cinema can communicate a message from creator to audience in a deeply emotional way that took writers, producers and directors years to perfect. Hopefully the developing medium of the video game will be given enough artistic breathing room for creators to construct emotional messages that are communicated to the audience not just through passive viewing, but through immersive experience." - Closing statement from :
Can a Video Game constitute as art?

There, educate yourself. I don't sprout nonsense unless I clearly state that it's my opinion, this however is not an 'opinion', it is a fact that is happening as we speak. That is why the movie industry is trying to get their hands in the money and are starting to invest even more in video game production.

I agree what you said.

Hideo said himself that Games transcend films as a meduim.

Games can acheive anything because virtuareality has boundries those of imaginations on other hand films needs to BE virtua to reach those heights.
All films are nowadys CGI more than real.
Real actors in chroma..this sucks, i pity actors imagining virtua worlds while shooting because all they have is green chroma around them...lol.

Infact gaming would expand their imagination inorder to help them envision virtual worlds more clearly.

Above all games can be anything films can be, but also are INTERACTIVE.

This interaction kills other mediums to death.

StevenSpiel.,jhonwoo and now james cameron all have jumped into game direction...why?:eyebrow:

FELIPE NO
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 05:49 PM #112 of 1533
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
http://ps3.qj.net/ listed something about a "running MGS4 demo" on their site, but the link wouldn't work. The site itself is also taking forever just to load. You think it's genuine? I thought it would be a little too early to have E3 videos leaked.

http://ps3.qj.net/Metal-Gear-Solid-4...g/49/aid/32343

Link still doesn't work, as of this writing.
Most likely not. On a related note, this Friday's edition of HideChan Radio will broadcast audio for the first 90 seconds of the E3 trailer.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 08:43 PM #113 of 1533
Originally Posted by Sexninja
I agree what you said.

Hideo said himself that Games transcend films as a meduim.

Games can acheive anything because virtuareality has boundries those of imaginations on other hand films needs to BE virtua to reach those heights.
All films are nowadys CGI more than real.
Real actors in chroma..this sucks, i pity actors imagining virtua worlds while shooting because all they have is green chroma around them...lol.

Infact gaming would expand their imagination inorder to help them envision virtual worlds more clearly.

Above all games can be anything films can be, but also are INTERACTIVE.

This interaction kills other mediums to death.

StevenSpiel.,jhonwoo and now james cameron all have jumped into game direction...why?:eyebrow:
Interaction does give gaming an edge, but no one is utilizing this feature to its fullest. Most of the interaction comes in the form of gauntlets of enemies that you go through in between cutscenes. This is still fun to me, mind you, but if gaming wants to transcend this, they have to make the interaction more compelling.

Stories also have to be better, also. Gaming hasn't had what can be called a Gone With the Wind or a Citizen Kane yet, just alot of the "alien invasion" or "kill bad guy" variety. If people are to take gaming seriously, gaming also has to take itself seriously. So as it stands, gaming will not top movies in terms of artisitic merit.

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 01:30 AM #114 of 1533
Originally Posted by Simo
Most likely not. On a related note, this Friday's edition of HideChan Radio will broadcast audio for the first 90 seconds of the E3 trailer.
Mmm that is correct!!!

Originally Posted by HIDEOBLOG
What if I told you that the MGS4 sound director (Mr. Tojin) and I infiltrated the Kojima Productions' mixing studio to bring you a pirated mp3 of the first 90 seconds of our upcoming Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer?

Ohhh Tojin and Payton, you sneaky two!

Not a joke! 90 seconds of audio goodness... mmmm.

Love it.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 02:11 AM #115 of 1533
To get back on the MGS topic, I replayed MGS3 but with SUBSISTENCE and I must say that the new camera system is truely welcomed. Now I could sneak instead of going out guns blazing like in my first run.

I had a blast replaying it and since I was on that MGS buzz and I plugged in my Gamecube to play TWIN SNAKES again. I stopped after 20 minutes. What a horrible job they did. Not only does it look like ass, some of the voice acting is quite questionnable, especially the actress doing Naomi, it felt like she was asleep.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 01:27 AM #116 of 1533
Originally Posted by Pietak
Not a joke! 90 seconds of audio goodness... mmmm.
I just came five times in a row.

Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
I had a blast replaying it and since I was on that MGS buzz and I plugged in my Gamecube to play TWIN SNAKES again. I stopped after 20 minutes. What a horrible job they did. Not only does it look like ass, some of the voice acting is quite questionnable, especially the actress doing Naomi, it felt like she was asleep.
I didn't think Twin Snakes was all that bad, but it could have been way better. I hated the new voices of Naomi and Mei Ling. I only hated about half of the added cutscenes, the other half I accepted (like most of Ninja being a badass). What really got me was the music. It sucks (with the acception of the Mantis battle). Not only does it suck, it doesn't feel Metal Gear at all. The crappy music almost ruined the experience. The original music made you feel like some futuristic super spy, the new music was some dystopian electronica crap that made the game feel cold and distant (which I guess is how a place like Shadow Moses might really feel, but it just failed at making you feel cool). Oh, and Rex's "roar" noise was stupid in TS.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

[ MOBIUS ]
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 12:21 AM #117 of 1533
Originally Posted by Mobius One
I hated the new voices of Naomi and Mei Ling.
Funny thing is that they're the same VAs that worked on MGS. I hated how they dropped the accents, really changed the overall performance. The original PSX version is still the best!

Most amazing jew boots
Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:04 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 11:04 PM #118 of 1533
Yeah, same voice actors, half the inspiration to work on the same project again I guess. Totally fails.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:10 AM #119 of 1533
Quote:
Funny thing is that they're the same VAs that worked on MGS. I hated how they dropped the accents, really changed the overall performance. The original PSX version is still the best!
They dropped the accents for the sake of authenticity; Mei Ling and Naomi both spent most their lives in America, so they shouldn't have accents to begin with. And I absolutely hated Nastasha's original accent. Worst Russian I ever heard.

FELIPE NO
Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:21 AM Local time: May 2, 2006, 11:21 PM #120 of 1533
Accents gave it depth even if it was somewhat unoriginal that a chinese girl would have an accent. At least she sounded cute. But that's just my opinion.

Most amazing jew boots
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:47 AM #121 of 1533
Yeah but thinking something is 'cute' and something having 'depth' are not the same thing. I don't see how a cheesy sounding accent gives anyone any depth they didn't previously have.

Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 03:10 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 12:10 AM #122 of 1533
Well it's all in their tone of voice. You can deffinitely sound boring, can't you? it's just how much they help to break up the monotony of the codec conversations, specific sounding voices help distinguish personalities as well. Just like sniper wolf, at least I think so. I enjoyed them, so did a couple of friends of mine. Sure it's cliche, but if the actor is good at accents, let them do it I say.

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:13 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:13 PM #123 of 1533
Originally Posted by Taterdemalion
Stories also have to be better, also. Gaming hasn't had what can be called a Gone With the Wind or a Citizen Kane yet, just alot of the "alien invasion" or "kill bad guy" variety. If people are to take gaming seriously, gaming also has to take itself seriously. So as it stands, gaming will not top movies in terms of artisitic merit.
Stories are better,infact it depends whether you have played games or not.
Epic story lines like Legacyofkain series can't be coverted and can't be portrayed thorugh lame meduim like films.

I have seen countless films all good ones even citizenkane , all i would say that what DeusEx has given me as a game no other medium can.
Story,interaction,music and 'non linear' gameplay etc.

DeusEx shows you how you control virtual word,any single decision can make difference and not just change ending but entire course of game or story, unlike movies ...a linear medium.No matter how many times you will see CK or GWTW , the experience is going to be same and linear with same ending.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cel
Bushido 1

Member 5920

Level 6.62

Apr 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 06:48 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 03:48 PM #124 of 1533
I think KOTOR has given me what no movie could ever hope to achieve.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Keym
Syklis Green

Member 2135

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:00 PM #125 of 1533
Originally Posted by Cel
Babbling
Keep living in your hardcore-gamer bubble. You'll develop games some day so hey, it can't hurt for you.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What To Eat? PROTIP: THIS IS THE MGS4 THREAD