Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion Thread

RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:14 PM #76 of 723
Originally Posted by Prime Blue
But as we know Nintendo with their real-time cutscene politics there won't be any movies

mario sunshine had pre-rendered videos.

though, i always wonder why? the gamecube could have pulled it off better without all those compression problems the fmvs had!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:30 PM #77 of 723
Probably having something to do with the storage capabilities of the media. It's easier to store a video+audio all done than it is to have all those resources and load them up in real-time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:32 PM #78 of 723
Zelda looks more and more like a PS2 game.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:49 PM #79 of 723
Originally Posted by Megalith
Considering people's praise of PS2 graphics being better than that of the gamecube:

Thank you.

FELIPE NO
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:18 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 06:18 PM #80 of 723
Originally Posted by Lukage
Considering people's praise of PS2 graphics being better than that of the gamecube:

Thank you.
That makes absolutely no sense when you take into account of what Resident Evil looks like in comparison of both consoles.

I'm not even a Nintendo fanboy and I know this.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:22 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:22 AM #81 of 723
Originally Posted by Elixir
That makes absolutely no sense when you take into account of what Resident Evil looks like in comparison of both consoles.

Oh I never said anything about actual fact, I was referring to it in terms of a fanboy's epeen-stroking love for a console.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:59 AM #82 of 723
Originally Posted by galen
Probably having something to do with the storage capabilities of the media. It's easier to store a video+audio all done than it is to have all those resources and load them up in real-time.
uh, pre-rendered video is less efficient if you already have the models made (like the ones used in the game). this is specifically why nintendo never used fmv for n64 games-- no space.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 03:34 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:34 PM #83 of 723
But as we know Nintendo with their real-time cutscene politics there won't be any movies ("The Wind Waker" had two - the demo video and the epilogue with staff roll, but both are no real FMVs because they were just recorded ingame graphic scenes) and at most a few prerendered BGs ("Ocarina of Time" had 35 static and something like two dozen 360° prer. BGs, "Majora's Mask" and "The Wind Waker" had none).
They weren't recorded. They were done real time in the game engine. The only difference was you didn't have to press 'A' to scroll through the text. Goes the same for the intro movie, just a bunch of scrolling images and some fade in and out text. Recording those for use on the disc would be a waste of space.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:16 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 02:16 PM #84 of 723
Originally Posted by RushJet1
mario sunshine had pre-rendered videos.

though, i always wonder why? the gamecube could have pulled it off better without all those compression problems the fmvs had!
Yeah, "Super Mario Sunshine" being the big exception. But most of Nintendo's games only feature an intro and maybe an outro FMV.
Originally Posted by galen
This is probably the second most important reason FMVs are used - they're more convenient than real-time graphics. As you said, real-time graphics have to store all voice samples, music tracks and SFX externally (wether it is one big streamed track or lots of small files depends on which method uses less disc space) and the sound has to be synched with the ingame graphics. The more FMVs you have, the more convenient will be the 60Hz to 50Hz conversion in PAL territories, for example (disregarding the fact that the FMV audio has to be stored in a 50Hz version on the disc).
Originally Posted by watkinzez
They weren't recorded. They were done real time in the game engine. The only difference was you didn't have to press 'A' to scroll through the text. Goes the same for the intro movie, just a bunch of scrolling images and some fade in and out text. Recording those for use on the disc would be a waste of space.
title_loop.thp
end_st_epilogue.thp
These are the two files in "The Wind Waker"'s movie folder.
THP is a GCN movie format that stores videos by separating the frames into pictures in a format quite similar to JPEG. Audio is stored within these frames, too.
title_loop.thp is the trailer that was shown at E3 (or TGS, I'm not sure) before the game was released. This one is played when you leave the controller untouched at the title screen (when the logo is shown in front of the ocean).
end_st_epilogue.thp is the epilogue and staff roll movie. It starts after the farewell scene from Hyrule. Link and Tetra being rescued by the pirates is a movie, NO real-time scene although it was recorded from real-time graphics. The same goes for the staff roll. The last scene where they all depart in search of a new Hyrule is real-time, though.
The intro ("The Legendary Hero") is of course no FMV - that would have been a total waste, indeed as its just the camera scrolling over some TPL textures.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:27 AM #85 of 723
Originally Posted by Megalith
Didn't you hear, Sony bought Nintendo.

It seems as if they really were done.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Little Shithead; Mar 7, 2006 at 09:01 AM.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:45 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:45 AM #86 of 723

Aren't you the one who argued that the graphical cut backs of RE4 on PS2 made the game look better than on GC?

I'd find the quote, but it was before the crash.

(I could be wrong, but i distincly remember you being the one to say it looked better on PS2)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:00 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:00 PM #87 of 723
Originally Posted by Helloween
Aren't you the one who argued that the graphical cut backs of RE4 on PS2 made the game look better than on GC?

I'd find the quote, but it was before the crash.

(I could be wrong, but i distincly remember you being the one to say it looked better on PS2)
I remember exactly what I said. I preferred the graphics of the PS2 version over the 'cube version, but that was all.

FELIPE NO
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:30 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:30 PM #88 of 723
(translation, cube's better)

I preferred the graphics of the PS2 version over the 'cube version, but that was all.
well now i just don't know what to think.

At any rate, do we know if those screens are official, finished product? They do look a little granulated. If these are just screens from the first draft, then we can expect them not to look as wonderful as the finished product.

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:08 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:08 PM #89 of 723
What you said was taken out of context. I'm going to assume that the anamorphic widescreen was more to your liking than the letterbox display on the GC. I don't know anyone who thought the PS2 version looked better, if anything that game was pretty badly butchered. At least Capcom is making up for it with the PC release, this way we can hopefully get a look at better textures. :eyebrow:

watkinzez
Chocobo

Member 1040

Level 10.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 03:50 PM #90 of 723
title_loop.thp
end_st_epilogue.thp
These are the two files in "The Wind Waker"'s movie folder.
THP is a GCN movie format that stores videos by separating the frames into pictures in a format quite similar to JPEG. Audio is stored within these frames, too.
title_loop.thp is the trailer that was shown at E3 (or TGS, I'm not sure) before the game was released. This one is played when you leave the controller untouched at the title screen (when the logo is shown in front of the ocean).
end_st_epilogue.thp is the epilogue and staff roll movie. It starts after the farewell scene from Hyrule. Link and Tetra being rescued by the pirates is a movie, NO real-time scene although it was recorded from real-time graphics. The same goes for the staff roll. The last scene where they all depart in search of a new Hyrule is real-time, though.
The intro ("The Legendary Hero") is of course no FMV - that would have been a total waste, indeed as its just the camera scrolling over some TPL textures.
Fair enough. I suppose using the movie format for the demo/ title screen, where the game has to go through many areas quickly, is justified.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
goldeneye2131
Din, Farore, Nayru

Member 2134

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:58 PM #91 of 723
I just found out about the move to a fall release not too long ago...I think Nintendo's ploy has done just what they wanted to...looks like I'll probably be buying a Nintendo Revolution at the same time as the game...It's just too sad that I had it preordered over a month ago and now I must wait until the beginning of next school year to play it....the graphics just make me die every time I see it......

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:02 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:02 AM #92 of 723
Oh GOD what have I done here?....

RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:55 PM #93 of 723
you've got to realize, any images that i've posted were from last august-- i don't think any new ones have been posted since them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:23 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 01:23 PM #94 of 723
Yeah, I think those big ones from IGN are the latest official screens of the game.

By the way: The picture Infernal Monkey posted is a fake, unfortunately. It was created and used by Hyrule.net in order to show us that we anticipate the game. :eyebrow: Well, as if I hadn't known that before...

Most amazing jew boots
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 12:32 PM #95 of 723
Yeah, I think those big ones from IGN are the latest official screens of the game.

By the way: The picture Infernal Monkey posted is a fake, unfortunately. It was created and used by Hyrule.net in order to show us that we anticipate the game. :eyebrow: Well, as if I hadn't known that before...
You mean the 2003 E3 Link and Ganondorf battle wasn't how Wind Waker was gonna look? Darn.

FELIPE NO
Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:50 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:50 AM #96 of 723
Wowza. I just watched the video on Hyrule.net, and I never realized how beautiful this game looks in motion. It looks rather old-school Disney-like.

Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:35 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 02:35 PM #97 of 723
Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
What you said was taken out of context. I'm going to assume that the anamorphic widescreen was more to your liking than the letterbox display on the GC. I don't know anyone who thought the PS2 version looked better, if anything that game was pretty badly butchered. At least Capcom is making up for it with the PC release, this way we can hopefully get a look at better textures. :eyebrow:
They won't really be making up for it. Since the PC version is actually just the PS2 version ported to PC.

Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:54 AM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:54 AM #98 of 723
Right. Because games like Onimusha and Resident Evil play all so greatly on the PC... *reveals himself as a game seperationist who thinks console games and PC games should stick to their native environment*

Most amazing jew boots
WraithTwo
screw attack

Member 239

Level 16.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:12 PM #99 of 723
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/696/696091p1.html

So apparently, Miyamoto let the cat out of the bag. Twilight Princess will make use of the Revolution controller. Personally, I'm glad. This game was of little interest to me before, but if not just tacked on, using the Remote to play Zelda will be an experience I'll have to try. What do you guys want to bet that the game will be released at Revo launch too?

- WraithTwo -

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:50 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 02:50 PM #100 of 723
Damn. I'd rather have the game sooner than later, regardless of whether or not it's tacked on. Hopefully it will at least take advantage of more than just the controller, as Miyamoto doesn't specifically say what (personally I'm hoping for it using the online service, for downloadables).

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion Thread