Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Xbox 360 Discussion. Thermal paste, the delicious and nutricious snack of the future.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:38 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 03:38 PM #326 of 851
Alright guys, gff's xbox crew claims to know their stuff, so let's see what you've got:

Using a 220v power brick on a japanese 360 console which is 110v. According to this forum here, it's perfectly safe to use a PAL xbox 360 power supply (which is 220v) on a japanese 360:

Originally Posted by ntsc-uk
(taken from their xbox 360 import faq)

Do I need a stepdown transformer?

The Asian Xbox 360 comes with a 220v power supply with a standard three pin UK plug, so no stepdown or socket adapter is required at all. It's 100% plug and play.

The Japanese and American 360's have 110v power supplies and need a beefy 300w stepdown. You can also use a UK power supply with an American or Japanese console and it will run without needing a stepdown, but spare UK power supplies can be expensive to source so you're probably better off with the stepdown.
Question is, can I use a 220v power brick to run a japanese 360? Or, would I be better off buying a step-down transformer? It might be unnecessary. This is only a forum FAQ, I can't seem to find anywhere else that mentions this.

I phoned around, one store says if the forum says it's okay, go for it, one store says don't because the xbox 360's power is internal (?), and Microsoft's support line says it's alright but I thought I should just be cautious and ask here as well.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:09 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 06:09 PM #327 of 851
If you want to be a dick and your Wii is out of working condition you can just take the parts out of yours, go out buy another one, swap the guts, wait about 3 weeks, take the former back and just say you got one for your birthday.

I believe systems get the full return policy unlike games which cannot be returned once opened.
Yeah, I've thought about doing this a few times now. ;_;

FELIPE NO
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 04:40 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 10:40 AM #328 of 851
Wondering if anyone could help

looking to buy premium package xbox360 PAL, or just the 360 with the harddrive and 2controllers.

Looked on ebay UK but having a hard time actually winning anything on there, im a noob at bidding. Anyone know of anywhere i can get a bargin??

If you go into any GAME store they sell a preowned Xbox 360 Premium package for £214 with a 1 year Guarantee.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:24 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 02:24 PM 1 #329 of 851
It's just that the mass hardware fuck ups I've read about scare me. I've already wasted a lot of money on a Wii that Nintendo refuses to actually repair, I don't want to deal with that nightmare again with an even more expensive machine. Has there been any update AT ALL to that 65mm CPU or whatever the hell they were talking about late last year that was supposed to reduce the red ring of death?
I really have no idea what the warranty situation is like in Australia. While I can say that the hardware failure rate is ridiculously high, when my box shit the bed earlier this year, I got a brand new one sent back to me after about a 2 and a half week period. My new one has been great. However, Mo0's had problems exchanging his, having done it 4 times already.

Wether or not the turnaround for exchanges will be faster or slower for you due to your location, I can't say. I can't imagine it would be any slower, to be honest, but what the fuck do I know? I don't live down there and can't vouch for anything.

As for the 65 nm chipset, a variety of sources have pinned this fall as the time when the chips will go into manufacturing. Due to the time it will take to get current 360s off of shelves, plus get the new ones in, we probably won't see them often until December, if that date sticks. Just make sure you check the manufactured-on date while at the store to be sure.

Originally Posted by Lix
Question is, can I use a 220v power brick to run a japanese 360? Or, would I be better off buying a step-down transformer? It might be unnecessary. This is only a forum FAQ, I can't seem to find anywhere else that mentions this.
The input voltage is irrelevant. It's the output voltage that matters. All the brick does is step down the current in your wall to the voltage the 360 requires. Look at your power brick, if it outputs 12V at 16.5 amps, it'll run the system. The only difference is that the power brick you've got takes 220v in, while a Japanese or North American one takes 110. You'll be fine.

Alternatively, fill it with thermal paste and your power issues will disappear.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:49 PM #330 of 851
Skills, you fail to mention that their are also a shitload of people who still have launch 360's that still work like a charm, myself included and i think Plarom and Russ fall into the same boat.

i think it balances it out quite evenly. Consoles break, it is a fact of life; but you shouldn't let it deter you from getting one. My Wii broke down on me within my second week of owning it , but that is life and their is a reason a thing like warrantys exist.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Iwata; Jun 12, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:52 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 02:52 PM #331 of 851
I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't. However, the 360 has a relatively high hardware failure rate. Higher than most modern electronics, at least. This much can't be denied, but yes, it's not like there aren't plenty of launch units still kicking around.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:07 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 06:07 PM #332 of 851
Thanks for that. I was worried I would need to purchase a step down transformer.

Time to order Blue Dragon.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:42 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 06:42 PM #333 of 851
I really have no idea what the warranty situation is like in Australia. While I can say that the hardware failure rate is ridiculously high, when my box shit the bed earlier this year, I got a brand new one sent back to me after about a 2 and a half week period. My new one has been great. However, Mo0's had problems exchanging his, having done it 4 times already.

Wether or not the turnaround for exchanges will be faster or slower for you due to your location, I can't say. I can't imagine it would be any slower, to be honest, but what the fuck do I know? I don't live down there and can't vouch for anything.

As for the 65 nm chipset, a variety of sources have pinned this fall as the time when the chips will go into manufacturing. Due to the time it will take to get current 360s off of shelves, plus get the new ones in, we probably won't see them often until December, if that date sticks. Just make sure you check the manufactured-on date while at the store to be sure.
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what Microsoft's like down here, but surely they can't be as bad as Nintendo Australia taking five months to admit they should live up to the warranty and fix my system, only to send it back even worse. Sounds like it'll be a fair while before those new chips show up, I dunno if I can be 360-less that long! Maybe I'll just trade my busted Wii in towards one to be a huge wanker, and take out an in-store extended warranty thing just in case. Earth Defence Force!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:20 PM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 05:20 PM #334 of 851
It'd be awesome if you decided to get Live and play with us, although I can't promise we'd be able to have great pings to each other. If Lix is bad connecting to North Americans, I can't imagine your situation being much better.

I hope you know someone else is Aussieland to play EDF with too, 'cause it lacks any sort of online co-op.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:51 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2007, 12:51 PM #335 of 851
What, EDF doesn't have any cooperative online support? That sucks. And yeah NZ ISPs are bad, australian ones are better but you're still looking at 250-350 ms ping. It's more of a distance issue, nothing can be done about that really.

Oh well, the game is still tempting to buy just so I can shoot Godzilla in the dick.

FELIPE NO
liuu
Carob Nut

Member 1698

Level 5.35

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:53 PM #336 of 851
Does anyone know why there is no Xbox 360 Elite anywhere. I mean all the stores I called in my city and the ones around are all sold out, all the stores I checked online are also all having a shortage.

Was the elite just a limited edition? Have they stopped producing them because they are making changes to the console (something I heard about a new 85nm chip or something like that).

I really want to buy a Xbox 360 but I don't see a reason to buy the "old" one if there's the elite out there with 1080p support and all that. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Thanks a lot.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 09:34 PM #337 of 851
Does anyone know why there is no Xbox 360 Elite anywhere. I mean all the stores I called in my city and the ones around are all sold out, all the stores I checked online are also all having a shortage.

Was the elite just a limited edition? Have they stopped producing them because they are making changes to the console (something I heard about a new 85nm chip or something like that).

I really want to buy a Xbox 360 but I don't see a reason to buy the "old" one if there's the elite out there with 1080p support and all that. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Thanks a lot.
It is a simple thing called demand parred on top of the fact that microsoft didn't ship out many elites in the first place. Most stores only got 1 or 2 elite SKUs as well as the pre-ordered ones.

Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:44 AM #338 of 851
You don't need an Elite to get 1080p - unless I'm mistaken, you can get it from the VGA cables as well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
liuu
Carob Nut

Member 1698

Level 5.35

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:42 PM #339 of 851
I'm pretty sure the white xbox only has up to 720p and no HDMI output too.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:46 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2007, 11:46 AM #340 of 851
The white xbox, as you so eloquently put it, will output at 1080p. This feature was provided through a firmware update. But yes, you are correct in that it does not have HDMI output.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 01:00 PM #341 of 851
So you still have to use a VGA cable to get 1080p correct? As I understand it component cables only go up to 1080i.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 01:05 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2007, 12:05 PM #342 of 851
As I understand it, component will do 1080p, but it is simply a matter of having a TV whose component inputs allow 1080p. I, for one, have a Sony KDL-40XBR2, which is capable of displaying 1080p, but only through the HDMI inputs; its component inputs max at 1080i.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2007, 02:02 PM #343 of 851
My Premium 360 is hooked up via component cables, and it's outputting in 1080p.

FELIPE NO
immp
Hortus Ortus Vinco

Member 584

Level 15.79

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:13 PM #344 of 851
lol wow
Some people are unlucky.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160603

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:28 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2007, 10:28 AM #345 of 851
Wow, that combined with one of the joints that repairs 360's in the UK announcing they're not accepting anymore due to a tidal wave of broken machines. (lolol 2,500 a day? They must have pulled that number out of a mighty big arse). Lookin' good Microsoft!

The girl in your avatar is gonna be awful dizzy. =o

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 08:47 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 07:47 PM #346 of 851
Rainbow Six: Vegas's Black Pack is now free, if you didn't notice that it cost money a couple of days ago and then mysteriously disappeared. With your account info, if you bought and paid for it, you will get reimbursed...eventually.

Ubi says it'll take 8 to 10 weeks to reimburse you, for some god awful reason.

Also the Red Pack, that cost 10 bucks before? Gonna be free as of the 6th. Guess that this content being free on the PS3 version caused Ubi to make this stuff free. I think there was some rule where if it was free on another network it had to be free here too, but I could be mistaken on that.

How ya doing, buddy?
CapturedPenguin
Spidey Sense

Member 40

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:03 PM #347 of 851
Originally Posted by Engadget.com
In a monumental move for Xbox 360 owners everywhere, Microsoft has expanded its warranty coverage to three years, and will take a $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion charge to earnings for anticipated repair costs on the malfunctioning consoles. The company had previously extended the 90 day warranty to one year, but this move comes with a clear acknowledgment of the persistent problems with many of its systems (specifically the red ring of death), and an offer to reimburse users who have already paid for repairs to their consoles. It would appear that this development signals Remond's concession that these problems are not "routine" (a stance it has been lacking as of late), and happily demonstrates that they will do more than just add a few heatsinks to the troubled console. With the recent news that the Xbox 360 has a reported 33 percent failure rate, this should be welcome relief for literally scores of gamers.
Go Microsoft for standing by its product and making the consumers feel safe.

Most amazing jew boots

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:30 PM #348 of 851
Good thing too, because my 360 just gave me the red ring of death. Alright Microsoft, time to live up to the deal. By the way, should I try to back my stuff up on a memory card or will Microsoft keep my saved stuff intact for me?

How ya doing, buddy?
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:23 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2007, 09:23 PM #349 of 851
Why don't you just take the hard drive off before you send it in?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:17 PM #350 of 851
They tell you to remove the Hard Drive before sending it in when you call for a repair.

How ya doing, buddy?

#654: Braixen

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Xbox 360 Discussion. Thermal paste, the delicious and nutricious snack of the future.