Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Commercial Anti Spyware vs. the free stuff

Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 03:21 PM #1 of 7
Commercial Anti Spyware vs. the free stuff

Recently I've been reading up on commercial anti spyware apps like Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor trying to compare them against the free stuff like Sybot and Ad-Aware to see if they're really worth the price. So far most of the reviews from places like Cnet, PC Magazine, and PC World praise the commercial apps and claim the free stuff is good as backup alongside a commercial app. However, reader reviews for recent version of Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor trash both programs, with one of my favorite lines being "almost as bad as having spyware".

So, I'm looking for more opinions here on whether folks who have used either Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor feel they're worth it, or are the professional reviewers just pimping applications like those on purpose because the companies that make them are paying them as part of an agreement? Is the free stuff really too weak nowadays to be reliable for catching most spyware that attempts to invade the system? I did note that Spyware Doctor 4 was almost universally praised, and noticed that PC Tools still allows it to be purchased. Also, I haven't had any issues to make me suspect that my computer is infested with spyware that the free stuff is missing, I'm just attempting to stay on top of the game by seeing how much, if any, times have changed for apps that remove spyware. Any experiences/thoughts or otherwise are welcome!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Thank you Guest for the kickass signature!
Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 04:55 PM #2 of 7
I've used Spysweeper in the past and have thought it excellent. It has consistently managed to catch a lot of things other programs simply can't. I've never had a really good experience with Ad-Aware or SpyBot S&D however. Spysweeper is definately worth the yearly fee. So I'd highly recommend it - don't know much about Spyware Doctor 4 however.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Portman
Mars People

Member 14656

Level 1.10

Oct 2006

Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:49 PM #3 of 7
I used to use Spysweeper on my computer but gave up on it after 2 years since it rarely every alerted me to anything. I don't mean that in a bad way, but when you know what sites/software to avoid the active scanners don't do much but waste resources in my opinion. I've been using Spybot and Adaware on mine periodically and they work great.

I tried out Spyware Doctor (they gave it to us free so we'd tell customers about it) and found it fairly lacking compared to Spysweeper. It caused problems with some of my programs and was slow to do just about anything.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:03 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2007, 11:03 AM #4 of 7
try Hitman pro,is free and ultimate remover.

Hitman Pro | Alles-in-1 oplossing tegen spyware - Home

How ya doing, buddy?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:29 PM #5 of 7
Wait, so they just bundled a bunch of popular spyware programs and gave it a new name. Oh.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2007, 02:30 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2007, 01:30 PM #6 of 7
Wait, so they just bundled a bunch of popular spyware programs and gave it a new name. Oh.
Wow, I thought you were kidding... but it literally is a bunch of anti-spyware programs bundled into one. Do they have permission to do this...?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Justin
Carob Nut

Member 8279

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:29 PM #7 of 7
I just use ad-aware, and find it to be perfect. If you wanna invest in the commercial programs, I say you just pay for ad-aware plus. It's only 50$ for 3 years, and I find it works great.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Commercial Anti Spyware vs. the free stuff