Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:02 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 01:02 PM #3251 of 3592
Stop calling Oblivion an RPG already. Just because it has swords and armor doesn't make it one.

It's interesting to see J-RPGs are largely missing from all next-gen consoles because of partly the smallish user-base for both 360 and PS3 in japan, and probably because most J-RPGs have a lineage of very old and "out-dated" mechanics everyone's trying their best to get rid of right now, it seems. If people don't want 2D games anymore, why should they want to stand in a row waiting for a turn?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:06 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 12:06 PM 1 #3252 of 3592
Uhh, what makes a game an RPG? I haven't played Oblivion, but everyone calls it RPG, and if it's anything like Morrowind, then I'm pretty sure it is an RPG. What do you call it, first person bow-shooter?

Most amazing jew boots
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:24 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 12:24 PM #3253 of 3592
I think Oblivion is a tactical espionage action game.

Then again, Qwarky, I have to devastatingly disagree with your point of view concerning your observation that "J-RPGs" are missing from all next-gen consoles because of partly the smallish user-base for both 360 and PS3 in japan because as far as I am informed, the typical "J-RPGs" like Final Fantasy are not only popular in Japan (I mean, of course they are, why should those Jappos play homosexual RPGs like Oblivion or Neverwinter Nights), but also outside of Japan, especially in the US and A and in Europe, too (!)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:44 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 11:44 AM #3254 of 3592
Stop calling Oblivion an RPG already. Just because it has swords and armor doesn't make it one.

It's interesting to see J-RPGs are largely missing from all next-gen consoles because of partly the smallish user-base for both 360 and PS3 in japan, and probably because most J-RPGs have a lineage of very old and "out-dated" mechanics everyone's trying their best to get rid of right now, it seems. If people don't want 2D games anymore, why should they want to stand in a row waiting for a turn?

Or it could be people just aren't looking. Fifteen jRPGs are in the works for the PS3 according to this: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2007/1202.html.

On top of that Megazone 23, Tear of Tiara, and the Sega Sakura Taisen teams new game have recently been announced. Now how many of these making it stateside is a different matter but they are being made. I think it is more of an issue of a lot of these developers are just now coming down off of PS2 development projects to start new PS3 projects. Of mentioned I know 4 or 5 of those games are 2D sprite based games.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Cetra; Jul 18, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:33 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 11:33 PM #3255 of 3592
Notice how the article doesn't actually list the 15 titles, since they don't know them, and neither does the general public. Hence my use of words, largely missing. Aka no one in RPG Forums is interested in buying the console just yet (since any other type of quality game seems irrelevant).

Mush, I couldn't understand half of what you were trying to say, but it sounded like you were saying PS3 doesn't have a small user base and the reason is.. that.. Final Fantasy is popular.. everywhere? I think?

I was saying I haven't heard of that many JRPGs being developed right now for the PS3 (nor 360) and I can only assume it's partly due to not that many people owning the console just yet. In Japan, at least.

A column at an RPG fan site saying they heard someone tell them that some magazine might have said that so and so many titles might be in development isn't quite the same thing.

And you'll notice FFXI and beyond has been doing their best to step away from the JRPG traditions.

FELIPE NO

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:45 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 12:45 PM #3256 of 3592
Notice how the article doesn't actually list the 15 titles, since they don't know them, and neither does the general public. Hence my use of words, largely missing. Aka no one in RPG Forums is interested in buying the console just yet (since any other type of quality game seems irrelevant).

Mush, I couldn't understand half of what you were trying to say, but it sounded like you were saying PS3 doesn't have a small user base and the reason is.. that.. Final Fantasy is popular.. everywhere? I think?

I was saying I haven't heard of that many JRPGs being developed right now for the PS3 (nor 360) and I can only assume it's partly due to not that many people owning the console just yet. In Japan, at least.

A column at an RPG fan site saying they heard someone tell them that some magazine might have said that so and so many titles might be in development isn't quite the same thing.

And you'll notice FFXI and beyond has been doing their best to step away from the JRPG traditions.
No it doesn't list all 15 titles, but it does specifically mention 11 of those 15 with direct confirmations (not rumors) from each company. Plus the latest three announced also have specifics.

And no there have been companies like NIS, GUST and Takuyo that have purposely held on to the jRPG traditions and all of their games have been selling well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:47 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 11:47 PM #3257 of 3592
Have they released said well-selling games on the PS3? No? Right. In development.

Let's see how the HD crowd will like them. They won't have the same audience.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:51 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 09:51 PM #3258 of 3592
Yes I know that, but I was trying to say that this way of thinking doesn't really make any sense at all because it's not like Japanese RPGs are only successful in Japan. I am not really well informed about how many people in Japan already have a PS3, but the game developers shouldn't really look at the Japanese market when they produce games, I guess

There's nowhere I can't reach.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:53 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 11:53 PM #3259 of 3592
Have you seen a Japanese JRPG developed for a foreign market? I sure as hell haven't.

I'm just wondering how long it'll take before they'll start developing RPGs at the rate they do for PS2. If at all.

How ya doing, buddy?

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:56 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 01:56 PM #3260 of 3592
I am not really well informed about how many people in Japan already have a PS3, but the game developers shouldn't really look at the Japanese market when they produce games, I guess
Yeah, Square should have learned that with the successes that were Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Secret of Evermore and that Final Fantasy movie,

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:57 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 11:57 PM #3261 of 3592
Evermore was done by a US team, but I admit I forgot Mystic Quest.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:03 PM #3262 of 3592
But the thing is that RPGs arn't as huge here as they are in Japan. So more people here may play games in general, but way more in Japan play RPGs which is why they do look at what's hot in Japan for their sense of direction.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:56 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 07:56 AM #3263 of 3592
Evermore was done by a US team, but I admit I forgot Mystic Quest.
Did the US team that made Evermore (I think it was Hawaii or something like that) have autonomy or did they need to get their projects approved by Square Japan?

Also, is it sad I just realized that SoE is probably only game in the Mana series (yes, I know it's not quite) other than Secret that I actually enjoyed?

Most amazing jew boots
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 09:15 PM #3264 of 3592
omg! it still not the open beta for Home but I just got an invite for the close beta!

I pretty sure they'll send others invitation in the next few days ^^

I'm sad, there was no darkness demo for us though oh well I 'll take it in the euro PSN :P

How ya doing, buddy?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:40 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 07:40 AM #3265 of 3592
omg! it still not the open beta for Home but I just got an invite for the close beta!
?

I thought the closed beta took place in May. What the fuck, why would they have a closed beta in July when they're planning to release Home in September/October? Sony's awesome marketing strategies make less sense from day to day.

How ya doing, buddy?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:53 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 08:53 AM #3266 of 3592
It started in May, they're just inviting more people.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 02:00 AM #3267 of 3592
yes in started in may and is still continuing... they are just inviting more people every few weeks...

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:16 AM #3268 of 3592
Same thing they did for the Warhawk BETA. The BETA which I got invited like 5 days before the open BETA, better then nothing but C'MON.....

UPDATE
Looks like Sony's E3 showing was the warmup round. Sony apparently is going to make a series of huge announcements for PS3 and PSP at Leipzig next month. Most will probably be new functionalities and future plans, and perhaps a few more first-party games previously unannounced, possibly some new 3rd party content.

New functionalities coming out this year are free-view-TV, and Video On Demand. Thank god the PS3 has swap in - swap out HDD support.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/27815/PS3-...dy-for-Leipzig

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 20, 2007 at 07:29 AM.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:52 AM #3269 of 3592

I pretty sure they'll send others invitation in the next few days ^^

I'm sad, there was no darkness demo for us though oh well I 'll take it in the euro PSN :P
Were you active on the Playstation boards and/or a GAP member? I'm trying to figure out the damn criteria for invites (because I want one).

edit// also demos being released in one region doesn't matter. Just make an account for Japanese PSN and an account for European PSN and you get all the demos they put out. Thats pretty much what I did.

Last edited by UltimaIchijouji; Jul 20, 2007 at 09:55 AM.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:29 PM #3270 of 3592
well I'm a gap member but I'm not there very often (if none at all XD) but I participate in previous psp games beta before (like killzone libertine, rachet and clank : size matter and socom)

you have a better chance to be accepted if you're in GAP but I think for now maybe 95% of the people that got accepted are in GAP.

They are probably just picking random people that are in GAP though, because like I said I participate in other beta and I just got an invite for this one...

and for the region ps store, yeah i already have an Euro account, but I don't like to play games where I really don't understand what's going on or can't even read the menu of the games, so I doN,t have a jp account (yet)

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:34 PM #3271 of 3592
well I'm a gap member but I'm not there very often (if none at all XD) but I participate in previous psp games beta before (like killzone libertine, rachet and clank : size matter and socom)

you have a better chance to be accepted if you're in GAP but I think for now maybe 95% of the people that got accepted are in GAP.

They are probably just picking random people that are in GAP though, because like I said I participate in other beta and I just got an invite for this one...

and for the region ps store, yeah i already have an Euro account, but I don't like to play games where I really don't understand what's going on or can't even read the menu of the games, so I doN,t have a jp account (yet)
Oh well, I haven't been in any other betas so there goes my chances. I'm not even a GAP member, I tried posting on the PS boards a little but people there are too dumb so I gave up.

Tell us how Home is.

FELIPE NO
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:43 PM #3272 of 3592
where all i can say is there room for A LOT of improvement ... the beta is just too small to really enjoy it I think XD but there's a lot of potential though. I'm pretty sure when they'll release the final version that it will be really better.

The only things I really hope they'll change is the way you place object in your home. You see they created that wonderful physic engine so the furniture behave a little like real one. So when you move and press x to place an object they like drop the object where you want it, but the object bounce a little on the drop and most of the time it change a little the direction. It's a little hard to have an object the the position you want because of that...

but I'm pretty sure they change that (I hope...)

(I guess I'll stop here since I'm not suppose to talk about the beta :\)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:53 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2007, 08:53 PM #3273 of 3592
Oohh. Supposedly, we are getting some new firmware this week.
Spoiler:
Personally, all I could really care about is folder organization and in game access to the XMB...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:56 PM #3274 of 3592
No offense, but why is Sony seemingly incapable of implementing the XMB custom wallpaper feature.

I am tired of staring at a shit gradient, ok.

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:00 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2007, 09:00 PM #3275 of 3592
No offense, but why is Sony seemingly incapable of implementing the XMB custom wallpaper feature.

I am tired of staring at a shit gradient, ok.
Oh. And that.

So personally, all I could really care about is folder organization, in game access to the XMB, and custom wallpapers.

(maybe also custom avatars...)

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread