Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:05 AM #2126 of 3592
Need your guys help in a decision about the PS3. I have a connect who might be able to get me a PS3. For $600 of course, but he might be able to get his hands on one for me. In short, my cousin works with a company(big big company) who Best Buy is the official sponser of and asked someone high up in the company to contact Best Buy and ask them to put one of their premiums aside for him so he could give it to me.

But the thing is he told my cousin that he won't know until sometime late thursday night whether or not they can do it. He contacted someone in the Best Buy chain and they said they'd get back to him. By then it will be too late to head out and get one myself because the lines will be packed.

So, should I wait it out? Do you think the Best Buy people would pull strings for a man high up in a company that Best Buy sponsors?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.

Last edited by DragoonKain; Nov 15, 2006 at 02:08 AM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:34 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 01:34 AM #2127 of 3592
The 24hour Wal-Mart in Dixon already has about 15 people outside and a tent set up. Lame!

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:19 AM #2128 of 3592
Hmmm, that makes me wonder. I forgot that Wal-Mart is open 24 hours, so where the hell would one line up? If you wait outside someone might beat you to the electronics section, if you wait inside you might get in trouble for loitering... any ideas?

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:03 PM #2129 of 3592
Yet another new concern with the PS3, this one regarding resolution scaling.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129072

I'm not sure if this affects all TV's that don't feature 720p (which I'm pretty sure mine does not), or if it varies with each set. Metal helped me pick my TV, and I believe he mentioned mine could upscale a 720p image, but I'm still concerned.

Even if Resistence and a few other games don't upscale 720p, can this be fixed with yet another update?

Also, the people at my work yesterday, upon finding out that I have a PS3 reserved, kept bugging me to take the day off. I kept telling them that I wouldn't do anything that dishonest, but they kept insisting, saying it's no problem. It's a temptation I don't need.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Soldier; Nov 15, 2006 at 02:08 PM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:23 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 12:23 PM #2130 of 3592
Would these people also include your boss, LOL. I doubt it, but hey, if even your boss said so, why not? Do you have any vacation time left or anything?

Quote:
I forgot that Wal-Mart is open 24 hours
Wal-marts are open 24 hours? I don't think any in my city have that type of operating hours.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- What we all do best -
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:29 PM #2131 of 3592
I don't get any sick days or vacation days until after 3 months of starting, and I started in October. Also, I don't have a real "boss", per say, but the lady that would qualify as my boss is super nice and would probably egg me on too.

I dunno, I think I'm just being paranoid if I can't wait until 3pm, but then again I aggree when they say I shouldn't take any chances with something so expensive and highly sought after.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 02:44 PM #2132 of 3592
Then why don't you just ask for like an hour off or something just so that you can pick it up? That way you can have it both ways.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:51 PM #2133 of 3592
Because then I'd have a PS3 in my car, which is probably even less safe (no trunk, it's a pickup). This came up, so they said to just leave the system at my desk. Not that I don't trust anyone there, but even if leaving it there was safe, leaving the system within eye sight would only distract me and make me more anxious to get out of work.

I don't have a problem with waiting until I get off, but if they're really cool with it, I make take the day off. This is all a matter of being stupidly cautious, anyway.

That said, watching the upcoming youtube videos of people rioting in the malls come opening day should provide a nice bit of amusement (and horror).

How ya doing, buddy?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:31 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 01:31 PM #2134 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Yet another new concern with the PS3, this one regarding resolution scaling.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129072

I'm not sure if this affects all TV's that don't feature 720p (which I'm pretty sure mine does not), or if it varies with each set. Metal helped me pick my TV, and I believe he mentioned mine could upscale a 720p image, but I'm still concerned.

Even if Resistence and a few other games don't upscale 720p, can this be fixed with yet another update?

Also, the people at my work yesterday, upon finding out that I have a PS3 reserved, kept bugging me to take the day off. I kept telling them that I wouldn't do anything that dishonest, but they kept insisting, saying it's no problem. It's a temptation I don't need.

This shouldn't be an issue since nearly all HDTVs have their own scalers to fit the image to their native resolution. Most TVs will take a 720p input and scale it to 1080i/p if the TV requires it. That thread seems like a huge mess of misunderstanding.

Last edited by Cetra; Nov 15, 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:00 PM #2135 of 3592
That's what I thought, but confirmation is always nice.

Also, I just got a call from Gamestop confirming that my 20gb system will be ready on Friday. But what's interesting is that the store is opening on 8am, opening up a new option for me; I could pick it up, drop it at home, and THEN go to work. This will require some thinking.

Resistence is also available for pick up right now. Not sure if I'll grab it today just for the heck of it.

FELIPE NO
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:21 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 03:21 PM #2136 of 3592
Called EB, got the manager on the line, PS3 GET confirmed! Just gotta walk in and pick it up on Friday then. Teehee.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:39 PM #2137 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
This shouldn't be an issue since nearly all HDTVs have their own scalers to fit the image to their native resolution. Most TVs will take a 720p input and scale it to 1080i/p if the TV requires it. That thread seems like a huge mess of misunderstanding.
Bingo. If the input device doesn't have on, the television almost certainly does, keep that in mind. Heck, all you need to do is look at a TV's specs to see if it says:

"Supports blah-blah-blah resolutions"

And it pretty much confirms the presence of a scaler in the product. This often comes either before or after mention of the television's native resolution (the res the scaler will be up/downscaling to). Scaling often introduces unwanted image problems (banding, macroblocking, etc..).

So, if you have a CRT HDTV, the native resolution is often 1080i, so that's what you should set your PS3's output to in the menu.

If you have a fixed pixel display, such as an LCD or DLP based display (flat panel LCDs, rear-projection LCDs, LCoS, DLP), the common number is 720p. Flat panels are different though, as most have it at around 768p. Of course the top dogs in each of these run at 1080p.

Too much AVS does this to you, ladies and gentlemen.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:01 PM #2138 of 3592
What a frickin disgrace. All stores here from Best Buy to Target have 30 people outside them. I won't be getting one looks like because I can't compete with these losers who are skipping SCHOOL to get a god damn video system.

It is sickening what society has turned into. It is no wonder people kill themselves over video games. People have become too reliant on this stuff. It runs their god damn lives.

They did a special on the local news and some 15 year old kid was out there with his mother since tuesday, letting him skip an entire week of school for a video game system. Horrible parent. Absolute disgrace.

It just sickens me to see what this world is turning into and makes me insanely angry that people are willing to quit their jobs, and drop out of school for video games. Where the hell are these kid's parents? Hurting their future so they can brag online that they got a launch PS3.

Last edited by DragoonKain; Nov 15, 2006 at 07:06 PM.
=+Yuni+=
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Member 14890

Level 7.40

Nov 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:08 PM #2139 of 3592
Eh who cares if they decide to waste their time the way they do? I for one refuse to camp out. I don't even care if I get one on launch, just as long as I get one eventually. I'll wait until next shipment for all I care.

Congrats to anyone who's actually lucky enough to have gotten one for certain though.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:16 PM #2140 of 3592
Quote:
It just sickens me to see what this world is turning into and makes me insanely angry that people are willing to quit their jobs, and drop out of school for video games. Where the hell are these kid's parents? Hurting their future so they can brag online that they got a launch PS3.
Not enough buckets of water in the world for you to dump on all these guys, huh?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:17 PM #2141 of 3592
I care a whole heck of a lot. Because it tells me what the priorities in this country are today. People don't care about education or the state of the things that really matter in this country. All they care about are video games and their little toys. Do I care about the individuals? No. But you can't deny what it means in the bigger picture of today's society.

Seriously, just think about it. Kids are willing to fail college exams and fail an entire class, just to get a PS3. Does that not say bad things about this society? If it were only a few people in line then it wouldn't matter, but there are thousands of people in line all over the country. People quitting jobs, skipping school. Not only that but their parents are letting them.

And people wonder why kids grow up to be such nutjobs. It all goes back to the parents. Would you let your kid skip an entire week of school to get a video game system? Hurting his or her future for a toy? Again, it isn't the waiting in line that annoys me, it is what people are sacrificing to do it. I'd never think anyone would quit their jobs for a PS3 until I read that Burbank story. I never thought someone would flunk an entire class in college until I heard this local news report.

Double Post:
Not enough buckets of water in the world for you to dump on all these guys, huh?
Ha. It would be funny I'd say that. But it is going to pour here tonight through tomorrow anyway, so looks like they'll be getting soaked anyway.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by DragoonKain; Nov 15, 2006 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:32 PM #2142 of 3592
Regarding the HDTV downscaling fiasco, the guys over at PA are apeshit pissed about the whole thing. I'm not too happy about it either if my TV can't handle it. If this can be fixed with an update, and I really hope it can, then Sony needs to make this a priority one fix, real soon.

I have a feeling the newest catchphrase for this year and the next will be "That is to be resolved in future updates."

Most amazing jew boots
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:43 PM #2143 of 3592
Regarding the HDTV downscaling fiasco, the guys over at PA are apeshit pissed about the whole thing. I'm not too happy about it either if my TV can't handle it. If this can be fixed with an update, and I really hope it can, then Sony needs to make this a priority one fix, real soon.

I have a feeling the newest catchphrase for this year and the next will be "That is to be resolved in future updates."
Downscaling? I must have missed something...

FELIPE NO

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:52 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 12:52 AM #2144 of 3592
Yeah, something was mentioned about that on the news, but I was too busy talking with my friends about how I'm going to park my ass in line tomorrow to make millions of dollars in profits.

How ya doing, buddy?
Love it.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:09 PM #2145 of 3592
Quote:
Downscaling? I must have missed something...
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/746/746282p1.html

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:38 PM #2146 of 3592
That's not very smart. I thought that upscaling was a more or less standard procedure these days? Oh well. Looks like PS3 owners will have some firmware to download and install.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:43 PM #2147 of 3592
As long as it's definetely fixable by firmware, then I'm okay with it, but the PA guys have doubts over that, so it has me a bit worried.

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:01 AM #2148 of 3592
Originally Posted by Pietak
Yeah, something was mentioned about that on the news, but I was too busy talking with my friends about how I'm going to park my ass in line tomorrow to make millions of dollars in profits.
The real reason why are attempts are so damn high.

You can make some 300+% profit, heh, it pays some bills.

Most amazing jew boots
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:10 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 12:10 AM #2149 of 3592
SOME? Hell dude, I'm planning on putting the money down on an HDTV.

Anyway, I'm off to camp starting now. Not going to be fun.

See you guys Friday.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:40 AM #2150 of 3592
It starts.

Quote:
our People Shot While Waiting for PlayStation Console, Including 27 NEWSFIRST Reporter
11:14 PM Nov 15, 2006
Elizabeth Dorsett

Police are investigating a drive-by shooting involving people waiting in line for a video game.

Dozens of people camped out in front the Best Buy store on Nicholasville Road. They're hoping to get their hands on a Sony PlayStation 3 console. But the wait turned serious when someone drove by and fired shots at people waiting in line.

Four people were hit by the BB pellets, including 27 NEWSFIRST reporter Elizabeth Dorsett. She was interviewing someone in line at the time. None of them were seriously hurt.

Police came to the store to investigate. They're still looking for a suspect.
Lexington Police say they'll stay at the Best Buy to make sure people in line stay safe.

The PlayStation 3 goes on sale Friday morning at eight. The consoles are selling for more than $600 a piece.
I know there's going to be tons of crazy reports and videos coming within the next couple of days, but things like this aren't worth laughing about.

Playstation 3: I'll gun yo ass down, sucka!

EDIT: By the way, I have to hit the hay soon and then go to work, but if someone could take a look at my HDTV's manual and confirm whether I'll be suffering this downgrade thing going on with the PS3, I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fyb2gk

Last edited by Soldier; Nov 16, 2006 at 01:49 AM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread