Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:26 PM #2101 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
As long as it doesn't screw up: Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile and Final Fantasy Tactics... I'll be fine.

If it does, Sony will feel my wrath! Or something.

I'm mainly antsy to get my phone call from EB letting me know if I'll be getting one on Friday or not...
Yeah, that was my point. If it's popular titles that are all glitchy, Sony will never hear the end of it. Apparently the console actually speeds up loading for certain titles.

Quote:
Haven't read anything about this yet, nor have I noticed this on all the games, so here goes:

I picked up the Japanese Soul Calibur III this evening (it runs fully in English, too!), and noticed that the load times seemed to be quicker. I couldn't even get a character to say his/her taunt on the match-up screen, as the game would go right into the battle before they could speak, making load times around 1-3 seconds total.

Then it hit me to try the notoriously long-load time title, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum. Amazingly enough, the load times DO get shortened! Instead of taking between 13-19 seconds to load up a match, the game only takes about 4-6 seconds to load up a stage now, and 1-2 seconds to load up the next set of opponents on the same stage in arcade mode. This is awesome.

Anyone tried and noticed any other faster-loading games yet?
Source

Gizmodo clip of FFXII loading faster than it usually does.

I was speaking idiomatically.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 02:39 PM #2102 of 3592
I wonder of that emulation problem could be fixed with a firmware update.

About the shortage, kinda reminds me of the PSP on how I reserved it but I diddnt get the first shipment .

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:13 PM #2103 of 3592
Ladies and Gentlemen, the situation just got a whole lot worse, in launch shipments. It seems like the number of units available has been slashed to about 150-200,000 PS3s, with an estimated 750k sold by the end of the year.

Hopefully this turns out to be far from the truth, but it's looking pretty ugly for preorder/camping folks.

Originally Posted by Gamasutra
November 14, 2006

Analyst: 'Battle Royale' To See 150-200k PS3s For Launch?
In his latest interactive entertainment notes, Lazard Capital Markets' Colin Sebastian has made his predictions on the 'battle royale' set to take place this week as the Wii and PS3 see their official US lanches.

Says Sebastian, "This week represents a significant milestone in the interactive entertainment universe," though, he hastens to add, "the significance of the launches for the software publishers is largely symbolic, as the new consoles will not likely be meaningful drivers of software sales until later next year when we expect the installed bases of the PS3 and Wii to reach more critical mass."

Still, "excitement surrounding the hardware launches backed by significant marketing budgets from Microsoft (Xbox 360), Sony (PS3 and PSP) and Nintendo (Wii and DS) – should benefit overall industry trends through the holiday."

On retailers' struggles to secure and supply a continuous flow of hardware, Sebastian adds that Lazard continues to expect shortages for most stores: "Our channel checks with retailers indicate that there is strong interest in both the PS3 and Wii; most stores sold out of pre-orders quickly."

"We expect Sony to deliver 150-200k units to stores in the United States for the launch; consumers without pre-orders may find it difficult to locate an available system. We estimate sales of approximately 750k PS3s domestically by year-end. We expect a more robust launch from Nintendo, with at least 1.2 million units sold in the U.S. and up to four million units shipped worldwide by year-end."

"Due to the limited initial installed base of the platforms, we believe the financial impact over the holiday period will be more significant for hardware manufacturers and video game retailers (such as GameStop) than for software publishers."

In addition to predicting a strong push for Xbox 360 products due to a shortage in PS3 supply, Sebastian also says the newly launched consoles may not have as significant an impact on holiday sales.

He adds: "We expect less than 15% of software sales to come from the PS3 and Wii this holiday; the more numerous Xbox 360, PS2 and handheld platforms (DS and PSP) remain key drivers of growth," though, he predicts, "this fifth major platform transition is likely to be the largest product launch in the industry’s history."

Most amazing jew boots

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:15 PM #2104 of 3592
Please bear with me, (stupid question)

I haven't been up to date but acknowledging that the PS3 is "region free," does this include PS2 and PS1 titles?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:18 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:18 PM #2105 of 3592
Quote:
I wonder of that emulation problem could be fixed with a firmware update.
Without a doubt these are issues that can largely be fixed with firmware updates. Plus consider the situation. We are talking thousands of games, some only showing the problems midway though play. It just isn't possible for Sony to playtest all of these games to find all of the BC problems for the launch. Fortunately, unlike the PS2, the PS3 can be updated to fix these problems once they are found by the general public.

Quote:
I haven't been up to date but acknowledging that the PS3 is "region free," does this include PS2 and PS1 titles?
Unfortunately it seems both PS1 and PS2 games are still region coded. I'm not exactly sure of the reasoning myself but hopefully this might be something Sony can overturn at a later date with a firmware update.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:18 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 01:18 PM #2106 of 3592
Just talked with the manager at my local Bestbuy~

Stores will be openning at 8am and they will be handing out wrist bands
for those waiting in line at 7am. Note that wrist bands are given at
the Bestbuy's manager discretion. So not all Bestbuys will be handing
them out.

There are two near me here and the BB at the mall will not allow
camping due to mall security. The other is off on its own and does
allow camping (which i saw 3 guys already camping out).

Let's see how things go this Friday ^_^

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:21 PM #2107 of 3592
Originally Posted by valiant
Please bear with me, (stupid question)

PS1 and PS2 region coding is set in stone, so this only applies to PS3 games. Even then, it's up to devs/publishers to lock them or not.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 03:26 PM #2108 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
Without a doubt these are issues that can largely be fixed with firmware updates. Plus consider the situation. We are talking thousands of games, some only showing the problems midway though play. It just isn't possible for Sony to playtest all of these games to find all of the BC problems for the launch. Fortunately, unlike the PS2, the PS3 can be updated to fix these problems once they are found by the general public.
Yeah, the PS3 can be updated through firmware. But there is only so much you can do by updating firmware. You should'nt count on them being able to fix it through firmware. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. You can change alot about an electronic system through the firmware, but you can't necessarily change the way a game is processed or how a processor chip may function.

My guess is that they MIGHT be able to fix SOME of these incompatabilities through firmware, and surely they can when they begin emulating the games and getting rid of the EE+GS Dragon chip. But I wouldn't count on them fixing many of these problems with a firmware update.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:33 PM #2109 of 3592
Thanks for clearing that up Metal and Cetra. Guess I would have to stick with my fliptop PS2 for the time being.

Likewise, I believe I will wait for a year or two before purchasing a PS3 when all the error regarding emulation is sorted out.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by valiant; Nov 14, 2006 at 03:35 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:39 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:39 PM #2110 of 3592
Originally Posted by Alai
Yeah, the PS3 can be updated through firmware. But there is only so much you can do by updating firmware. You should'nt count on them being able to fix it through firmware. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. You can change alot about an electronic system through the firmware, but you can't necessarily change the way a game is processed or how a processor chip may function.

Sure you can, that is the entire point of a firmware update. The EE and GS are reprogrammable DSP chips meaning their instruction sets can be changed and updated. With this ability they can essentially change the way an instruction is processed or change the function of the chip. And if for some reason they can't get a method to work in hardware they can always use special case software instruction emulation.

The only thing that is really going to hold back improving BC on the PS3 is the willingness of developers to work with Sony to iron out the issues. Developers are going to have to go through their code and figure out why something isn't working (costs money) or be willing to provide Sony with some source code for the Sony engineers to look through which is risky for the developer.

How ya doing, buddy?
Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 03:55 PM #2111 of 3592
Really, I wasn't aware that the Dragon chip was a DSP. If it is I would tend to agree with you. I didn't locate any evidence of this online. I didn't look that hard either, though.

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:31 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 03:31 PM #2112 of 3592
Even though the weather is ridiculously nice for a November, the 200k launch units (if true) doesn't bode well for this small Canadian city.

I was planning on camping this out, but now I'm questioning if that's going to happen. Hell, if I get off school at 2 on Thursday, even if I go straight to Walmart I'm unlikely to get it. Lame.

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:57 PM #2113 of 3592
I should point out that it wasn't Sony who said there'll be 150-200k units at launch, but rather an analyst. I think he was referring to the news about Gamestop's supply cut, though I'm not sure if any official word has been declared from the Big S about anything less than 400k units for NA.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:38 PM #2114 of 3592
I called my local stores and they won't give me jack on how many total units they are getting and the premium to core ratio.

Any idea how to get something out of them or do they really not know?

Don't all stores have them in the back by now?

It is important I know, because I'm not going to go to a store if I can only get a core.

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 06:46 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 04:46 PM #2115 of 3592
You know, i'd hate to wait in line and be like, maybe 7th or 8th and
then find out that they only have 5 ps3s... that would be TERRIBLE.

I've decided not to go to BestBuy because i think that it'll be most crowded.
I'm really considering CompUSA now.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 07:53 PM #2116 of 3592
my EBgames store said they are getting 8 ps3 and I'm the 6th on the list so I really hope they will get those 8 ps3 or at least 6 of them XD

on another note the www.playb3yond.com website has been update with a new video about high definition ^^

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:04 PM #2117 of 3592
Sigh... I can't compete with these losers. I called a local Best Buy and the guy said the same 4 cars were parked in the parking lot since sunday. He said he wasn't sure but he's guessing that they are waiting in their cars until they see people start to go set up shop, then they will get their spot.

Oh well, if you can't compete with em, you gotta cheat. I'm going up there to scout later tonight and if there are people in their cars waiting then I'm just going to have to cut in line. Sounds like an asshole thing to do but let's face it. It is every man for themselves.

Most amazing jew boots
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:38 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 12:38 AM #2118 of 3592
Christ, I feel like royally fucking these lifeless asshats over. I don't want to stand my ass in front of a store in freezing weather, and have these morons be first in line. It's time to do something drastic...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Love it.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:51 PM #2119 of 3592
I agree. Not everyone here is going to agree with our methods, but I don't care. I want a PS3 bottom line, and I'm not going to let some loser who has no life and can sit out there in their car for 8 days outdo me because they have no priorities. The lines aren't official until tickets are given out anyway.

I'll cut in line if I have to. Every man for themselves.

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:04 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 11:04 PM #2120 of 3592
Originally Posted by Inhert
my EBgames store said they are getting 8 ps3 and I'm the 6th on the list so I really hope they will get those 8 ps3 or at least 6 of them XD

on another note the www.playb3yond.com website has been update with a new video about high definition ^^
Better call them back. All EBs/GameStops are getting their supply cut by at least 2, since employees aren't allowed to get theirs on the first shipment.

God fucking damnit.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:51 PM #2121 of 3592
well I called them et they say they still don't know and that they will call back, I guess they will called everyone like thursday...will see...

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:58 PM #2122 of 3592
Well it's all set. A couple of friends and I are going to go camp in front of WallMart at 6PM Thursday fo a PS3. This is Canada, so Best Buy doesn't have much pull up here, and Futureshop and WallMart are the Titans of software & hardware. I was thinking of camping out at Costco, while almost guarenteed to get one you also have to buy two games of their choice plus who knows what and I just don't have that much money right now.

CloudNine
#ABCDEF

Member 43

Level 18.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 12:27 AM #2123 of 3592
Originally Posted by Pietak
Christ, I feel like royally fucking these lifeless asshats over. I don't want to stand my ass in front of a store in freezing weather, and have these morons be first in line. It's time to do something drastic...
So, you believe that you should be first in line for doing nothing?
Just Because.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:41 AM #2124 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Better call them back. All EBs/GameStops are getting their supply cut by at least 2, since employees aren't allowed to get theirs on the first shipment.

God fucking damnit.
Jag, don't feel too bad, as I hear numerous chains got their allocations cut as well. We'll find out how many units will be available soon enough, though that isn't very reassuring for those of us who preordered.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 01:29 AM #2125 of 3592
Well I guess what pisses me off the most is the lack of "employee benefit." They already put restrictions on how many employees could pre-order -- only two per store, thank God I'm an assistant manager -- and now we can't even get ours.

Employees don't get discounts on new systems, so in truth I'm no different from a customer, save for the fact that I can only buy from my boss (he's the only one with the authority in the store that I can buy games from. Company rule.) so I wouldn't even be able to get it straight when it comes in. I'd likely be the last person to get one. So really it's like, "why do I work here again? I thought it was for the perks." Lame.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread