Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

MageDie
Kaizoku ou!!!!!!!!

Member 13526

Level 2.00

Oct 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:07 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 07:07 PM #1876 of 3592
I'll believe the PS3 only when i'll see it. Sony used to change release's date so there is a problem with it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:45 PM #1877 of 3592
Mage... I have no idea what you just said.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:51 PM #1878 of 3592
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I forgot to mention, the yellow things you see there under price say "Free". I have to thank SOLDIER for pointing that out yesterday. Oh and IIRC, the games there are Siphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Medieval and... I can't make out that one.

Originally Posted by MageDie
I'll believe the PS3 only when i'll see it. Sony used to change release's date so there is a problem with it.
What the hell? Novemeber 17th isn't actually the release date because there's something wrong with the machine?

I tried.

I'm sure Skills (who is currently GOD KNOWS WHO, SCHWARZE-3?) will enjoy these:

Warhawk:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:52 AM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:25 PM #1879 of 3592
Quote:
Aww, Genji. SOLDIER's got me hoping for "GIANT CRAB" commentary from the characters.
For those wondering, I suggested to Metal how awesome it would be if in Genji 2, upon meeting the infamous boss, one of the characters would actually shout-

"Look out! It's a Giant Enemy Crab!"

And once you battle it, you could also have someone suggest to you-

"Yoshitsune! Strike the weakpoint for Massive Damage!!"

I'd buy the game just for that alone. Why should Kojima be the only one who can parody other games (including his own)?

Quote:
I forgot to mention, the yellow things you see there under price say "Free". I have to thank SOLDIER for pointing that out yesterday.
I said that? I knew about it beforehand, but I don't remember pointing it out to you. Oh well, I'll take the credit.

Quote:
Photo of the Playstation Store (Hopefully they'll have Einhander on there one day):
It's funny, that was the very first game I was thinking about when I saw this, too. I rented and finished the game, but never actually bought it, despite the favorable impressions. It had a kickass soundtrack, and they even snuck in Unit-01 as the first boss.

Quote:
What the hell? Novemeber 17th isn't actually the release date because there's something wrong with the machine?

I tried.
Pretty sure he means that Sony could delay the machine again. I'll admit I've been thinking the same thing more than once, but it's still 99.99% certain to make launch.

The one thing, THE ONLY THING, I fear during launch is getting a faulty system. If I end up unlucky, there's no chance I'll be able to exchange it for a working system (since they'll all be out), and I'll probably have to wait an unknown amount of time, plus shipping and handling, for Sony to replace it for me. It would help if someone told me that the machine is so powerful and full of so many chips, then that actually means LESS likely a chance something could go wrong, and not the other way around.

The lack of composite cables is unimportant for me, since I bought a spare HDMI cable since the beginning of this year. What I am disappointed about, though, is the lack of any enhancements for PS1/PS2 games. I was going to spend half the launch time popping in all my favorite games and taking note of their respective enhancements, just as I did with the PS2. Okay, they'll likely add an update later to support this, but who knows when that'll happen. If they guaranteed it would be ready by december, then I'm fine with it, but they'll probably never give an exact date (or even a confirmation that it'll happen).

I hear DVD movies won't be upscaled either. Fucking gay. :aargh:

By the way, did anyone check their Best Buys today? I was too tired from work to drive there, and they won't answer their phone either, but I'm still wondering.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:05 PM #1880 of 3592
Originally Posted by Simo
I'm more concerned about PS3s shipping with composite leads and not HDMI, or heck even component.:eyebrow:

Is this the situation for both SKUs or will the $600 unit come with something better?
As of right now, the better way to go would be to ship with Composite cables since EVERYBODY will be able to use them. Unless you have a TV from Pre-1992 or something, you will have A/V jacks on your TV. Sony's not dumb here, if you're going to ship with component cables, you've just killed off the guys who have SDTVs and are unwilling to pay for another TV.

But if previous PS1/PS2 cables are still compatible with the PS3, then, by all means, a component connection wouldn't be a bad idea.

BTW, the screens look awesome. It seems the FPS games don't have HUDs while in gameplay. Is this the new trend or something? Because I liked the HUDs.

I'm referring mainly to this shot, by the way:

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:13 PM #1881 of 3592
Originally Posted by Omnislash124
But if previous PS1/PS2 cables are still compatible with the PS3, then, by all means, a component connection wouldn't be a bad idea.
Quote:
Most people don't have HDTVs, so no component. Both have the same thing in the box. Ah, forgot to mention: If you have PS2 component cables, they're compatible with the PS3. It still uses that Multi A/V out that all the Playstations share.
Quote:
BTW, the screens look awesome. It seems the FPS games don't have HUDs while in gameplay. Is this the new trend or something? Because I liked the HUDs.
Don't know about everything else, but Resistance doesn't have much up on the screen aside from the health, occasional ammo pickup and your own command to bring up the customizable weapon's menu.
Spoiler:

Quote:
I'm referring mainly to this shot, by the way:

Looks like a cutscene shot to me, since the health stays up there all the time except for cinemas, as scene in the videos I posted above.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:53 AM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:13 PM #1882 of 3592
Disney on Blu-Ray

Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc could look gorgeous, but I think I'll settle with Aladdin, just because.

Damn!

Double Damn!!

How ya doing, buddy?
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:53 PM #1883 of 3592
i'm sad that the PS3 won't have any form of achievement points whatsoever. That means that whenever a cross-platform game comes out, the PS3 isn't gonna get any lovin'.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:09 PM #1884 of 3592
With next-gen graphics comes next-gen pain.

Hey, does anybody have some alcohol?!?! ........ rubbing alcohol???

Also your mentioning of Disney on blu-ray reminded me of the whole Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD thing. (I'm just as surprised as you are that one could forget such a thing.) But really, does anyone think that HD-DVD can beat Blu-Ray?

Max Size Blu-Ray: 50GB HD-DVD: 30GB
Burner Announced Blu-Ray: Yes HD-DVD: No

Studios (movie and game) listed as supporting members
Blu-Ray;
20th Century Fox
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Electronic Arts
MGM Studios
Paramount Pictures
Sony Pictures Entertainment
The Walt Disney Company
Vivendi Universal Games
Warner Bros.

HD-DVD;
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
New Line Cinema
Paramount Pictures
The Walt Disney Company
Universal Studios
Warner Bros.

Companies listed as Members of the Board or Managing Members
Blu-Ray;
Apple Computer Corp.
Dell, Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures and Television

HD-DVD;
Memory-Tech Corporation
NEC Corporation
Sanyo Electric Co.

Do I need say any more?

Source and extra info can be found here: http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:17 PM #1885 of 3592
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Disney on Blu-Ray

Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc could look gorgeous, but I think I'll settle with Aladdin, just because.
My God, The Lion King... in HD. Everything else is nice and all, but that tops them all.
Spoiler:

Quote:

Damn!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:

Double Damn!!

Heh, I loved that part of the video but I'm sure people want to see it for themselves:

MotorStorm Motorcycle

MotorStorm Truck

MotorStorm Buggy (this guy does great)

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:55 AM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:19 PM #1886 of 3592
hmm I'm not sure because i'm pretty surew that the ps3 come with regular composite cables...

like it said here

and here the translation(sorry for my poor english transalation>.>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamekult
Quelle que soit l'offre choisie, avec disque dur interne de 20 Go ou 60 Go, le pack de la PlayStation 3 inclura une manette sans-fil Sixaxis (30 heures de batterie en pleine charge), un câble pour l'alimentation intégrée à la console, un mini-câble USB, un câble Ethernet et un câble Multi-AV composite.
Originally Posted by Translation
all version come with a wireless controler sixaxis(30 hours of play full charge), a power cable integrated into the console, a mini USB cable, an Ethernet cable, a multi-AV composite cable.
I'm not sure if the multi-AV composite cable is, but I think that's the regular cable for a normal TV no?

so if this is true there's only the HDMI cable that is optional, or I didn't understand at all to what you guys were saying XD

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:24 PM #1887 of 3592
The PS3 comes with composite cables, which is basically the red, white and yellow ended Multi-AV cables we've used since the Playstation. If you already bought component cables for the PS2, they are compatible with the PS3 because they both use the Multi-AV end.

No Component or HDMI out of the box for the PS3, for reasons stated earlier (most people do not have HDTVs).

FELIPE NO

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:29 PM #1888 of 3592
And if they did include an HDMI cable, thoes things are damn expensive even for a 6ft cable therefore making the system more expensive.

I have a question though. They have HDMI to DVI converters right? And would I be able to use my wide screen 19" monitor that I use with my computer for my PS3? Like I said, my monitor has DVI input.

Most amazing jew boots
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:47 PM #1889 of 3592
Originally Posted by Slayer X
And if they did include an HDMI cable, thoes things are damn expensive even for a 6ft cable therefore making the system more expensive.
No, they're not. Manufacturers are simply overpricing the shit out of them. I put up links to one of many sites that offer affordable cables with quality on par with the overpriced junk out there like Monster.

Here it is again:

3 Foot HDMI cable

6 foot HDMI cable

10 foot HDMI cable

Quote:
I have a question though. They have HDMI to DVI converters right? And would I be able to use my wide screen 19" monitor that I use with my computer for my PS3? Like I said, my monitor has DVI input.
Spoiler:

DVI/HDMI cable

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:49 PM #1890 of 3592
You should. That's why they make hdmi to dvi cables. HDMI and DVI are practically the same thing. Difference is that HDMI also carries audio information. So you'll have to use the optical out or stereo for audio if you do that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:20 PM #1891 of 3592
Does anyone know the chepeast place to get 2.5 hard drives? I skipped out on the $600 system because I figured I could get a higher capacity HD for less than $100, but I've never shopped around for 2.5 drives before. Some suggestions and links would be nice.

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:23 PM #1892 of 3592
Uh, you don't think Sony thought ahead and put some sort of propriety code or some bullshit on the harddrives they include in the systems to prevent you from doing this?

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:25 PM #1893 of 3592
Does anyone know the chepeast place to get 2.5 hard drives? I skipped out on the $600 system because I figured I could get a higher capacity HD for less than $100, but I've never shopped around for 2.5 drives before. Some suggestions and links would be nice.
Is this one good? I made sure to go 5400rpm, since picking standard speed for laptop HDDs drives the prices up considerably.

Edit: The OS will likely format the drive, but it's simply a 5400rpm SATA laptop drive. IIRC, made by Seagate.

Speaking of Seagate, they've got 100GB drive right here. Too bad it's expensive as hell.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 20, 2006 at 10:27 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:25 PM #1894 of 3592
Haven't they stated several times that just about every kind of 2.5 drive will work with the PS3?

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:31 PM #1895 of 3592
Have they really? Seems like a pretty bad idea for Sony. I can imagine this being an extremely easy way for hackers to mess with the system.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:34 PM #1896 of 3592
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Have they really? Seems like a pretty bad idea for Sony. I can imagine this being an extremely easy way for hackers to mess with the system.
Just like Linux is an extremely easy way for hackers to fiddle around with the machine. The problem there, and it's the same one that'll plague them while they try to go about this, is that the architecture of the machine has these security features built in, as well as the OS.

If these savvy guys get SNES/NES/Genesis/etc emulators running smoothly on Linux, it'd pretty much make the machine worth it on that count alone.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 20, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:47 PM #1897 of 3592
Quote:
The OS will likely format the drive, but it's simply a 5400rpm SATA laptop drive. IIRC, made by Seagate.
Another thing I should brush on, the drive speed. What was the rpm for the default PS3 hard drives again? I've read some people speculating that the faster the drive speed=faster load times on PS3 games, but is that a given?

How ya doing, buddy?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:57 PM #1898 of 3592
5400 is what was given when it was announced. That also seems to be in line with the average laptop drive, as well as explaining why the 7200rpm ones cost so much.

And yes, if they're using it for caching, there should be some improvement. I'm assuming this is similar to putting your programs on a 10,000rpm Raptor where they run faster than, say, on a 7200 or 5400 drive.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:02 PM #1899 of 3592
I know that with standard HDDs that the standard speed is about 7200. However laptop HDDs don't run as fast to cut down on power usage and heat, therefore 5400 is usually the standard in laptops. You can still get 7200 laptop HDDs, but because they're not the standard, they tend to be more expensive.

Also Acer the Wii is doing the same thing, allowing you to use any HDD you please.

EDIT: Darn you Metal for posting at the same time as I, lol. But yeah, basically what he said.

NES Oldskooler
Faust

Member 768

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 11:18 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 05:18 PM #1900 of 3592
I've read some people speculating that the faster the drive speed=faster load times on PS3 games, but is that a given?
Not necessarily. You can have a 5400 and 7200RPM hard drive run the same things with no noticible difference. The tech spec you'll want to compare is seek time, not RPM.

(Though, you are right that in general, the seek time will be faster on higher RPM drives. Just check that the seek time is worth shelling out however much extra money for it.)

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread