Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gatorade. Is it really better for you than water?

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 02:45 PM #1 of 55
Gatorade. Is it really better for you than water?

I keep hearing people talk about how Gatorade truly hydrates you better than water cause it's full of sugars, electrolytes and other nutrients that water doesn't have. How true is this? Frankly the product tastes like watered down juice to me.

Also what's the difference between this and Powerade? Which do you prefer and why?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 03:31 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 02:31 PM #2 of 55
Powerade is just another version of the same stuff (Gatorade was formulated for the FL Gators team, hence the name). I hate the taste of all of it, personally; it tastes flat and watery, regardless of brand. Really, I think it's only beneficial to you if you're doing something involving lots of sweat, because you need the electrolytes, sugars&etc. that you lose through sweat and water doesn't contain that.

But for the average joe that's just sitting around, these drinks aren't really that necessary.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
omfgepoxy
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2014

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 01:47 PM #3 of 55
I prefer Gatorade over anything to drink, I drink about a case a week (approximately 12). I rarely drink water since it doesnt' have any flavoring or it tastes a bit flat. Juices and soda feel heavy to me when I drink them, most of the time I don't even finish half a glass/bottle/can. The only other thing I drink is my protein shakes before/after my workouts, so it's usually the only way I stay hydrated.

Here's study on sports drinks vs. water. Here's an informative Q&A on Gatorade vs. Powerade . Now go fourth and do your bidding!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by omfgepoxy; May 25, 2006 at 03:52 PM.
andkeener
Banned

Member 83

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 05:10 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 03:10 PM #4 of 55
I'd say omfgepoxy's post pretty much gives you all the information that you asked for, so i'm just answering as if it were a which do you like better thread.

Vitaminwater and water are pretty much the only things I drink. I guess I throw beer into the mix once or twice a week sometimes. But for the most part it's just water. I find vataminwater to taste the exact same as gatorade or powerade, except it has a bunch of vitamins in it that im sure couldn't hurt, so thats what I stick with.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 05:34 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 05:34 PM #5 of 55
I think I'll give VitaminWater a crack... I recall seeing those bottles around here though. Hope I just didn't notice them as opposed to them not being here.

Sounds quite tasty =d

Plus it has more p.i.m.p. How can I argue with that?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 05:44 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 04:44 PM #6 of 55
I've been wanting to give that Vitaminwater a try, but I haven't got around to doing so yet. But if it just taste like another kind of Gatorade/Powerade, then I won't be in any hurry to try it.

As for Gatorade vs. Powerade, I tend to like Powerade better, as it usually tastes a little sweeter than Gatorade. I do like that Gatorade has more variety of flavors, though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 06:04 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 05:04 PM #7 of 55
Vitaminwater is indeed my preferred choice of 'sports/energy drink,' since it doesn't taste like fake watered down fruit juice (like Gator/Powerade). It has a lighter flavor, since it's just fruit essence more than actual flavoring. The Energy or Stamina generally are my favorites, but I also like the ones that don't really 'do' anything besides have Vitamins -- especially the Watermelon flavor.

How ya doing, buddy?
zhixiong
in search of epic songs

Member 5635

Level 4.59

Apr 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: May 26, 2006, 11:38 PM #8 of 55
Anything that tastes sweet and says its good.. is bad.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
xiaowei
Bear Leisure

Member 792

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 02:25 PM #9 of 55
I guess Gatorade does have some minerals in it the body may need. But, I seriously I doubt poeple can sweat out enough to warrant using Gatorade. We already get plenty of salt from our food and the like.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 02:46 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 11:46 AM #10 of 55
Originally Posted by andkeener
I just discovered this a few weeks ago. I like it better than Gatorade or Propel because the flavor is light and doesn't seem forced like the other drinks.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 02:47 PM #11 of 55
Looked in a gas station today -- no luck finding anything like this =( Harumph~

Most amazing jew boots

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 11:55 AM #12 of 55
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Looked in a gas station today -- no luck finding anything like this =( Harumph~
There's a store locator on their site, I think. I found mine at stores like Albertson's and Raley's.

Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 12:56 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 12:56 AM #13 of 55
I think there is benefit of rehydration from drinking sports drinks like Gatorade, but you would probably have to look that one up. Some doctors recommend it to help aid curing some symtoms of dehydration or some stuff.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 01:13 AM #14 of 55
Originally Posted by Rydia
There's a store locator on their site, I think. I found mine at stores like Albertson's and Raley's.
Ooooh, lucky day~ There's an Albertson's about a quarter mile from here <3

Danke, Rydia =d I'll have to check there when I get my groceries on Sunday... >__>

kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 02:09 AM #15 of 55
From personal experience, I don't think so. Drinking Gatorade after running 2 miles tastes like sugary death.

FELIPE NO
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 09:03 AM #16 of 55
Quote:
Some doctors recommend it to help aid curing some symtoms of dehydration or some stuff.
Gatorade (and similar products) can help correct the electrolytic imbalance caused by severe fluid loss (bleeding, diarrhea, vomiting). Doctors will recommend it to patients recovering from severe dehydration.

Gatorade is good at correcting the imbalance, but what is even better is Pedialyte. Pedialyte, however, tastes incredibly nasty (think a fruit flavored salt lick) and I was never able to really stomach it.

How ya doing, buddy?
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 09:33 AM #17 of 55
Anyone ever notice that Gatorade tastes a lot sweeter after you're tired?

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 11:23 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 09:23 AM #18 of 55
Gatorade/Powerade definitely are my go-to if I'm feeling more spendy on a thirst-quencher. I always had them in supply in my apartment. This stuff really helps me. I have bottles of water too that I drink often enough, but sometimes I get this weird "overhydrated" feeling (does this exist?) where I just feel a little nautious after drinking too much water. Gatorade/Powerade seems to relieve this feeling for me, plus it tastes good to me. I just recently tried Gatorade's Rain brand, and it goes down soooo good. Yum.

I tried vitaminwater a few times in the past year. There's only a few flavors of it I like and then some of them my taste buds absolutely cannot take.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 04:03 AM #19 of 55
Originally Posted by omfgepoxy
I prefer Gatorade over anything to drink, I drink about a case a week (approximately 12). I rarely drink water since it doesnt' have any flavoring or it tastes a bit flat. Juices and soda feel heavy to me when I drink them, most of the time I don't even finish half a glass/bottle/can. The only other thing I drink is my protein shakes before/after my workouts, so it's usually the only way I stay hydrated.

Here's study on sports drinks vs. water. Here's an informative Q&A on Gatorade vs. Powerade . Now go fourth and do your bidding!
Holy fuck man, you realize how bad that shit is for your teeth? I drink Gatorade, but only before and during a workout.

Originally Posted by SemperFidelis
Anyone ever notice that Gatorade tastes a lot sweeter after you're tired?
Yup, any time after a good workout or run everything tastes sweeter. Probably has something to do with a drop in blood sugar.

Originally Posted by xiaowei
I guess Gatorade does have some minerals in it the body may need. But, I seriously I doubt poeple can sweat out enough to warrant using Gatorade. We already get plenty of salt from our food and the like.
You don't run long distances do you? Any kind of endurance activity and you can very quickly deplete your electrolyte levels. In Basic training we were having to add salt to our food (which is already pretty salty) just to make sure we got enough of it. You'd get rings of salt in your uniform after training all day.

Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
Vitaminwater is indeed my preferred choice of 'sports/energy drink,' since it doesn't taste like fake watered down fruit juice (like Gator/Powerade). It has a lighter flavor, since it's just fruit essence more than actual flavoring. The Energy or Stamina generally are my favorites, but I also like the ones that don't really 'do' anything besides have Vitamins -- especially the Watermelon flavor.
Seriously you'd be better off with a good multi vitamin than you are with these "vitaminwater" drinks. Also the only time you should be drinking stuff like Gatorade is when you are doing a lot of physical activity. The stuff really isn't meant to be a replacement for water...

Originally Posted by nazpyro
Gatorade/Powerade definitely are my go-to if I'm feeling more spendy on a thirst-quencher. I always had them in supply in my apartment. This stuff really helps me. I have bottles of water too that I drink often enough, but sometimes I get this weird "overhydrated" feeling (does this exist?) where I just feel a little nautious after drinking too much water. Gatorade/Powerade seems to relieve this feeling for me, plus it tastes good to me. I just recently tried Gatorade's Rain brand, and it goes down soooo good. Yum.
You can indeed consume too much water. However I seriously doubt that is the case with you. You'd have to be comsuming more than 12qts of water per day to risk water intoxication and the only reason why that is dangerous is that it delutes the salt in your body to such an extent that it become life threatening condition. You'd have the same symptoms as someone suffering from dehydration/heat injury... not the feeling that you drank to much water. My guess is that you just overfilled your stomach with water (I've done this before ) and it makes you want to puke (which I have also done )

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 10:21 PM #20 of 55
Marathon runners can drink too much water and die. Forgot what the condition is called but it happens. You should weigh yourself before and after running. If you're heavier than you started with, you drank too much.

And as Gumby said, Gatorade basically melts the enamel off your teeth.

"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 11:58 PM #21 of 55
I believe that Gatorade is "better" than drinking plain old water due to the concentration of stuff dissolved in it (salts, sugar, etc..). You lose salt when you sweat. If you sweat enough, you'll eventually really screw up the concentration of these substances in your blood, which is really not good. Drinking a lot of water after you've sweated a lot (e.g. during a marathon), could perhaps lead to death as you would be even further diluting the concentration of these substances in your blood.

Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 12:15 AM #22 of 55
I don't see how Gatorade can damage the enamel of your teeth any worse than Coke. Is the acid level that high or is there another chemical at work?

Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 07:32 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 02:32 PM #23 of 55
Dee: Sports drinks are far worse for your teeth than Coke. Gatorade for example is extremely acidic. How do you think they keep all that sodium and potassium in an aqueous state?

Mucknuggle: It is far worse for you than water. The high salt content in sports drinks is not a healthy thing. Americans in particular get far more salt in their food than they need, adding more to the water you drink is only going to cause you more problems than benefits. So unless you are training for something that requires that you push your body well beyond the normal daily use then you have absolutly no need for a sports drink, in fact you'd be better off with water because your body already has more than enough salt in it. As I said before, the only time I've ever had to worry about my bodies salt levels was during basic training where we were constantly physically active 12 hours a day for weeks on end.

SemperFidelis: As I said, it is called water intoxication. It has a technical name but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

FELIPE NO

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
SunkistTheHedge
Good Chocobo

Member 624

Level 18.07

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 11:49 AM #24 of 55
Water to me has no taste =P

So i prefer gatorade , And the flavor of it! Fruit Punch!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
shining_force
Finch Reign So

Member 347

Level 4.31

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 12:21 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 09:21 AM #25 of 55
Originally Posted by Gumby
Dee: Sports drinks are far worse for your teeth than Coke. Gatorade for example is extremely acidic. How do you think they keep all that sodium and potassium in an aqueous state?.
Dude...take a chemistry class before you go spouting off this misinformation. You can dissolve sodium in water, which has a Ph of 7. So no, gatorade does not need to be and in fact is not very acidic.

Coke, on the other hand IS extremely acidic and hence bad for your teeth in virtue of that as well as all the sugar it has.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Gatorade. Is it really better for you than water?