Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 01:37 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 10:37 AM #51 of 143
My point:
Originally Posted by Someone
So yeah, Tarantino and Napoleon Dynamite get my vote for most overrated films of all time.
Try reading, next time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:10 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 04:10 PM #52 of 143
I think Natalie Portman's performance in "V for Vendetta" was pretty good. She is not a bad actress imo...

Anyway, i never understood the hype for "The Ring". The movie wasn't scary in any moment. It has some disturbing images like the "nail" part in the videotape, but apart from that, it's a common movie.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 01:11 PM #53 of 143
Originally Posted by LeHah
not unlike how Star Trek fans pissed all over Enterprise despite it having some of the best stories the franchise had in many years.
I'm glad someone had the balls to come out and say it. Enterprise was hated on for no legitimate reason whatsoever.

Fucking A+ LeHah

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 03:24 PM #54 of 143
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
Quentin Tarantino as whole is HIGHLY overrated.

He's done only 4 movies and they are the farthest thing from original.

1- Reservoir Dogs = Main storyline copied from Ringo Lam's CITY ON FIRE
2- Pulp Fiction = 80% written by Roger Avary
3- Jackie Brown = Based on a book
4- Kill Bill = Bits and pieces from his 'favorite' Asian and Western Spaghetti movies

Don't get me wrong, they are still enjoyable movies, but stop treating him like he's some sort of genius. Plus the fact that he whore his name on every movie posters doesn't help.
Sorry, but you're saying there's something wrong with a movie because IT IS BASED ON A BOOK? That pretty much includes half of all films, ever. Originality does not exist, get your head out of your ass.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by knkwzrd; Apr 11, 2006 at 04:27 PM.
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 02:29 PM #55 of 143
Originally Posted by Capo
Try reading, next time.
Hah! A battle of semantics. I love it.

Originally Posted by Dizzy
Anyway, i never understood the hype for "The Ring". The movie wasn't scary in any moment. It has some disturbing images like the "nail" part in the videotape, but apart from that, it's a common movie.
If you're thinking of The Ring as a common movie, then I think I need to go pray now.

This thread is just going in a large circle. Person A says Movie is overrated. Person B replies with why Person A is damn wrong and should be taken away to mental asylum. Repeat.

Here's a handy way to see what movies you think are overrated:
Go to IMDB's Top 250.
Run through the list, pick which movies you don't like.
Those are your overrated movies.

Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Sorry, but you're saying there's something wrong with a movie because IT IS BASED ON A BOOK? That pretty much includes half of all films, ever. Originality does not exist, get your head out of your ass.
I can't enjoy The Godfather or the Lord of the Rings because they were movies from books? Insanity.

FELIPE NO

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |

Last edited by Rollins; Apr 11, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 06:42 PM #56 of 143
My head seems just fine on my shoulders. What you missed to understand is that I never said they were 'bad' or 'wrong', I said people tend to forget those points and elevate him as a sort of genius who who wrote and 'imagined' every pieces in his four movies. Hence, he is overrated.

Not questionning if your head is at the right place, but rather, do you have one?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:50 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 03:50 PM #57 of 143
My head seems just fine on my shoulders. What you missed to understand is that I never said they were 'bad' or 'wrong', I said people tend to forget those points and elevate him as a sort of genius who who wrote and 'imagined' every pieces in his four movies. Hence, he is overrated.

Not questionning if your head is at the right place, but rather, do you have one?
And what you don't understand is that the vast majority of films are based on something else. So, he didn't think of the original story, or he didn't write the damn thing. So what. He still interpretted it for the screen, and did a hell of a job. Everyone knows he borrows things from other films. It's called influence. You can justify any films unoriginality if you try hard enough.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:53 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 11:53 PM #58 of 143
I said people tend to forget those points and elevate him as a sort of genius who who wrote and 'imagined' every pieces in his four movies.
What, what? Most people know perfectly well that Tarantino just mixes various pop-culture stuff together; in fact, that's what he's most famous for.

Most amazing jew boots
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 06:58 PM #59 of 143
Originally Posted by Aardark
What, what? Most people know perfectly well that Tarantino just mixes various pop-culture stuff together; in fact, that's what he's most famous for.
Rent CITY ON FIRE; exact copy of Reservoir Dogs but it was made in the '80s and Tarantino never acknowledged that it was based on it.

Pulp Fiction, Avary never got mentions from any 'Pulp' fan that he wrote the piece.

You're gonna deny that?

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:10 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 04:10 PM #60 of 143
Rent CITY ON FIRE; exact copy of Reservoir Dogs but it was made in the '80s and Tarantino never acknowledged that it was based on it.

Pulp Fiction, Avary never got mentions from any 'Pulp' fan that he wrote the piece.

You're gonna deny that?
Yes, I am going to deny that. Roger Avary also started off directing and writing another great movie, Killing Zoe. I always give Avary the recognition he deserves for his writing.

And for City On Fire, sure, it has the same plot, but does that in any way detract form Reservoir Dogs being a great film? No, it doesn't. Enjoy both of them. Tarantino knew this was a great movie, and also knew that not a whole lot of the North American audience would have heard of it. So, he copies it, causing you some distress. In the meantime, he made one hell of a film, and through his love of Asian cinema, has exposed western moviegoers to techniques and plot devices they may not be comfortable with. If anything, he has greatly increased the chance of people going to see City On Fire, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Most amazing jew boots
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:17 PM #61 of 143
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the most highly overrated film in all of existence - The Boondock Saints.

What a dumb fucking piece of shit. I like to call it "the stupid person's Pulp Fiction." It has nothing going for it at all. The "style" is pathetic and is a complete waste of time. I couldn't believe people actually praised this pile of shit movie when they talked to me about it. Oh well, some people are just less evolved than others.

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:21 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 04:21 PM #62 of 143
I agree, the script is bad, and the style is awful, but what it does have going for it is Willem Dafoe, who gives an absolutely great performance.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 05:30 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 12:30 AM #63 of 143
Originally Posted by sprouticus
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the most highly overrated film in all of existence - The Boondock Saints.
It was mentioned in the first post.

Quote:

You're gonna deny that?
I have no idea, and I don't think it matters for this particular argument.

My point is that, whether or not Tarantino acknowledges and documents all his influences, he is definitely not known for basing any of his films on his own imagination only. He is not famous for creating every piece of his movies from scratch; he's famous for the way he takes different pieces and puts them together. Thus, saying that 'people elevate him as a sort of genius who who writes every piece in his four movies' is just absurd, in my opinion.

FELIPE NO
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 08:15 PM #64 of 143
Influence and copy are two diferent things.

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:25 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 05:25 PM #65 of 143
Influence and copy are two diferent things.
That's super! Yet, completely lacking in any relevance.

Tarantino "copies" some things and is "influenced" by others. No one is saying otherwise.

Aardark nailed the point I wasn't eloquent enough to get across with:
Quote:
My point is that, whether or not Tarantino acknowledges and documents all his influences, he is definitely not known for basing any of his films on his own imagination only. He is not famous for creating every piece of his movies from scratch; he's famous for the way he takes different pieces and puts them together. Thus, saying that 'people elevate him as a sort of genius who who writes every piece in his four movies' is just absurd, in my opinion.
His films are not about being original, they're about enjoying the movie, subtle and not-so-subtle references included.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:45 PM #66 of 143
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Thank you

All my friends love that movie and it just drives me up a wall. It's *so* bad.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:54 PM #67 of 143
Originally Posted by Aardark
It was mentioned in the first post.
Ah, so it was...

*backs away slowly*

:lolsign:

I thought of another one that has annoyed me - Wedding Crashers. Yeah, it was pretty funny. Ok? PRETTY funny. It's not the funniest movie ever made though. It has it's moments, but come on now.

Everyone has mentioned Napoleon Dynamite, so no need to harp on that one any more than needed.

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:10 PM #68 of 143
Harry Potter. Lord of the Rings. Fuck those movies and fuck every asshole with their shitty livejournal icons filled with shitty "witty" commentary referencing some retarded moment that happened in a series of shitty shit movies.

Both are overrated like all hell.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:37 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 06:37 PM #69 of 143
The two that come to mind at the moment are the aforementioned Boondock Saints, and Requiem for a Dream. There was some clever cinematography in Requiem, but with regard to the actual story, I felt absolutely no sympathy for any of the characters. No, not even the crazy TV-addict mom. I'm as anti-drug as the next guy, but in this case, drugs ultimately had little to do with their demise. Drugs can't destroy a person's life if they don't have one in the first place.

Frickin' plastic bag.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:42 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:42 PM #70 of 143
I really enjoyed Pulp Fiction and the first half of From Dusk Till Dawn. Sure, Tarantino's not as amazing as some people say he is, but I have nothing against him.

Fight Club was awesome. It had this great style and atmosphere that few movies even come close to giving. The story also made you think, and it was just really entertaining.

Someone also mentionned Leon, which I really liked. Maybe it's because I could care less about Nathalie Portman and watched it for Jean Reno. The action scenes were tight.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Newbie1234; Apr 11, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
Top Dollar
Still Alive And Kickin'!

Member 546

Level 9.70

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:02 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 02:02 AM #71 of 143
I think SAW is overrated. People deal with SAW as it is the second coming of horror. I don't believe it. I feel nothing but pity for the next sorry soul who says "OMG teh ending is sooo cool!" I think it's just plain stupid. Now, add Danny Glover reprising his role from Lethal Weapon in a cliché-ridden "fucked-up cop" side story. Ah, yes, it's also a good this that the Jigsaw killer didn't want his two prisoners to act their way out of the basement... So, we end up with some creative killing methods + Michael Emerson + Shawnee Smith= Second coming of the Horror movie genre? I still don't believe it.

Actually, I found the sequel to be a better movie although a cancer-stricken serial killer setting up an entire house with deathtraps goes way beyond my acceptance level for "suspension of disbelief".

FELIPE NO
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:11 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 07:11 PM #72 of 143
Fight Club the movie was great, but it left out a lot of good stuff from the book (yeah, i read the book. Chuck is an amazing writer. check out his other books too *pimp*). I really wished they put in the part about making the chicks mum into soap... (long story).

Napolean Dynamite. I guess it isn't as bad as it was last year, where everyone in my highschool would talk about it, say the jokes and shit, and every friday night a teacher would show it in their room as a 'club.' yeah.

And Family Guy. it's not a movie (well...there is one) but FUCK stop quoting it.

Double Post:
That's super! Yet, completely lacking in any relevance.

Tarantino "copies" some things and is "influenced" by others. No one is saying otherwise.

Aardark nailed the point I wasn't eloquent enough to get across with:

His films are not about being original, they're about enjoying the movie, subtle and not-so-subtle references included.

He takes a lot of things from Takashi Miike and suppousively Takashi is one of Taratino's "All time favorite directors." He just plainly takes a HELL of a lot of things from japanese movie directors.

Last edited by ComradeTande; Apr 11, 2006 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 10:51 PM #73 of 143
http://www.impossiblefunky.com/qt/RD_4.html

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Zephos
Syklis Green

Member 994

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:54 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 12:54 PM #74 of 143
Saw is one for me. I couldn't understand how a predictable horror movie with a stupid villain who had stupid motives and shitty acting could ave garnered the affection it did. I mean, really. Each flashback sequence is introduced by a brilliant line such as this:
"I remember it now..."
"It was like it was only yesterday..."

Added to that, I could see who the true killer was a MILE away, and while I didn't see the big twist at the end coming (i.e. where the killer was), I still thought it was shit and pointless. Ugh. Utter trpie.

The Empire Strikes Back
is also overrated. It's certainly a fucking awesome film, and forever influenced pop culture, but I preferred the first Star Wars film, personally.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2006, 09:17 PM #75 of 143
I was not all that impressed with Raging Bull. I can appreciate the cinematography and visual design, but as a piece of entertainment I think it was clunky and tended to drag on when it should have been captivating. The premise was good, but the execution was less good.

I know, I'm a heathen.

I can't think of many movies that I absolutely can't stand that also managed to become popular. I can always seem to find one thing or another to like about a film that hits it big. Akira is an example of one that I just can't swallow, though. Everyone harps on it like it's the Genesis Of All That Is Animated, and really it's just a mishmash of a bunch of unconnected shit and random happenstance.

Last edited by Skexis; Apr 12, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Overrated Movies (or "Why Does Everyone Like Tyler Durden?")