Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Bionic Maaaaan~

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:11 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 07:11 PM #1 of 14
The Bionic Maaaaan~

Source.

Originally Posted by Article
A man paralysed from the neck down has shown he can open email, control a TV and move objects with a robotic arm by thought alone.

The 25-year-old American patient, Matthew Nagle, had a computer-linked implant placed in his brain that enabled him to operate devices just by thinking about it.

Professor John Donoghue, who led the research and heads the brain science programme at Brown University in Rhode Island, said: "The results hold promise to one day be able to activate limb muscles with these brain signals, effectively restoring brain-to-muscle control via a physical nervous system."
Bionic Commando coming in 2015.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:50 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 05:50 PM #2 of 14
The beginnings of cyberbrain technology are here.

How ya doing, buddy?

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:00 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 11:00 PM #3 of 14
Yar ;D 'Tis cool stuff, no? This'll be really kickass in a decade or so.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 11:23 PM #4 of 14
Uhm... Care to expand some more on that? I trust you don't mean ESP?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 11:30 AM #5 of 14
this is totally cool. Finally we see a hope for people with disabilities to function properly. CMIW, but I think Stephen Hawking is also a "bionic man" since the equipment of his wheeling chair is quite advanced.

Most amazing jew boots
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 11:38 PM #6 of 14
This involves a microchip inside of his brain. I don't think Hawking has anything that advanced. He's got a pad which he types on using his one finger that works along with some other gizmos. This is a result of surgery and technological advances.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:46 PM #7 of 14
Yeah, cyberbrains, decked out military cyborgs/prosthetic bodies, etc..

That's actually pretty interesting, and I remember hearing something like this a while back. It was controlled by the people looking at a cursor on the screen and actively moving it around, while having probes/sensors stuck to their head.

FELIPE NO

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:51 PM #8 of 14
This is an amazing advance in technology and medicine. There was a show about it on the Discovery Science channel about how man and machine are slowly becoming one. It had a scientist saying how he was born a man, but will die a cyborg. I'm still waiting for someone to say how the Government could use this technology to control people, but for this purpose I think it is amazing that science is making this kind of breakthrough.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Piano Guy
Carob Nut

Member 9505

Level 5.11

Jul 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:02 AM #9 of 14
Hmmm... this is one of those things that has the potential to be very good or very bad. Either we'll see something great medically to come out of this (i.e. real working thought-controlled prosthetics), or we'll see it used for destruction and warfare (i.e. soldiers able to operate weapons from a long distance using only their brains),. Maybe both. Who knows? This is one I'll be interested to see as it unfolds!

-Adam

How ya doing, buddy?
Tuxedo-Templar
Carob Nut

Member 9158

Level 4.12

Jun 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 05:59 PM #10 of 14
Nothing new. Just a reminder of where we're headed. I'm sure we're in for a world of ethical warfare when cybernetics, genetics, and other technologies enter the mainstream. No doubt about that.

But I'm not dumb enough to think this kind of stuff is new by a long shot, though. I just think those who've made the major discoveries with it are being kept in secrecy and under control, for either ethical reasons or by those who wish to use them for their own gain and are waiting for the right time and avenue to bring about their use.

I'm not talking about conspiracy drivel here, I'm just saying if you made a potentially world-changing technological discovery, would you be so keen on letting it out before you could properly secure control, rights, and use of it? At least, that's what I think is what's going on.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 06:16 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:16 AM #11 of 14
This wouldn't help all disabled people in any case. Take the example of my father. There's no cybernetic technology in the world that could make him able to use his right arm and leg again, and there never will be.

The reason for this is because his case actually involves damage to the part of the brain responsible for moving those parts of your body. I admit that it's going to help a lot of people, and it's a very interesting discovery, but unless I'm mistaken, there's no way it could help people who are disabled for reasons similar to my dad. I wonder just how many disabled people are similar to him, and just can't be helped in this way?

That's not a reason to not develop this technology, but it might not be as big of a deal as it seems, if it can only help a small percentage of people with disabilities. I'm only using a personal example because it's the easiest way for me to describe what I'm talking about. It also seems as though this will only help people who are relatively young and robust, since it involves invasive surgery.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Soluzar; Jul 14, 2006 at 06:20 PM.
Tuxedo-Templar
Carob Nut

Member 9158

Level 4.12

Jun 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 06:44 PM #12 of 14
It's significance is not specifically so much about who it can help, but whom it can empower. Think of military applications, for example: If you could replace human eyes with IR cameras, use robotic limbs instead of flesh, or hell, even take a brain completely out of a body and operate it by remote (or simply use RC infantry altogether)... but that's a bit down the road. This stuff will be big, when it comes to fruition.

And brains are complex, but I have no reason to believe we won't start seeing prototype medical technology for 'patching' missing or damaged portions of a person's neuralogy in the coming years. Even people disabled on that end might stand a chance eventually.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 06:57 PM #13 of 14
Ah, Templar, your probably right about the actual technology being farther along than what we're seeing now. Aren't most inventions, or a good bit of them, the result of military research? Things like this hold immense promise.

And if we get nanomachines sophisticated enough, couldn't we get them to patch certain parts of the brain? Or some sort of stem cell delivery system to the brain?

I was speaking idiomatically.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:22 PM #14 of 14
Cyborgs and androids are no longer myth. I read the entire particle in the New York Times.

There's also an interesting article in American Science about prosthetics technology. Amputees can now get arms that are connected directly to the severed nerve connections and with the addition of brain implants can use their new fake arms just as good if not better than real arms. Without physical limitation the arms themselves could be better.

Somehow that article made me think of Jet Black.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > The Bionic Maaaaan~