Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Grim Grimoire

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 07:41 PM #1 of 20
Grim Grimoire

Well, here's another game by Vanillaware (same folks who're making Odin Sphere). The gist of the story is that some terrible tragedy occurs and the main character somehow manages to go back five days before said event. From there she tries to figure out what happened by going through those days repeatedly. The combat system is some strange kind of RTS-type setup, though the official site should clear things up a bit.

I applogize to those of you who are having Ephemeral Fantasia flashbacks right about now.

The official site has recently become active, so head on over there for some wallpapers and a chibi main character over the loading bar.

I'll put some artwork up in a bit. Edit: Ok, here it is:

Characters:

This lady here is apparently very important since she also plays a key part in another upcoming game. You may have heard about it, it's called Soul Cradle.

Your troops:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; May 8, 2007 at 10:45 AM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 09:31 PM #2 of 20
I saw somewhere that Nippon Ichi had something to do with this, although I don't know if it's only the case of being in name only like Atelier Iris. I don't like the soundtrack but the game looks interesting enough already from the artwork.

Actually, looking at the site, it looks somehwat funny too (MargaritaSurprise!?). I also like the whole wizard atmosphere.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Summonmaster; May 7, 2007 at 09:34 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2007, 09:46 PM #3 of 20
I saw somewhere that Nippon Ichi had something to do with this, although I don't know if it's only the case of being in name only like Atelier Iris. I don't like the soundtrack but the game looks interesting enough already from the artwork.

Actually, looking at the site, it looks somehwat funny too (MargaritaSurprise!?). I also like the whole wizard atmosphere.
I think they're the publisher, while Vanillaware is the developer. So, yeah, it's just like you thought. The soundtrack for this is out already?

I think the interesting part, for me anyway, is the odd RTS/RPG style of the game. Oh that and the visual novel way of character speech and interaction, something you don't see every day.

I could post impressions from folks who've had the game for quite some time now. I didn't put them up in the OP since some people might not want to find out too much.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 01:56 AM Local time: May 7, 2007, 10:56 PM #4 of 20
Soundtrack is by Sakimoto san, the solo violinist is again Hiro Yura from Eminence orchestra in Australia.

He played in the track in the main pages of the JP site: http://grimgrimoire.jp/index.html

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:00 AM #5 of 20
Yeah, I've been following this and Odin Sphere for quite some time. I was astonished that not only Odin Sphere, but also Grim Grimoire was getting an English release.

This year is certainly going to be something special, what with all of these amazing games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 12:34 AM Local time: May 24, 2007, 09:34 PM #6 of 20
You guys might wanna start pre-ordering this, NISA is offering free postcards for those who placed their pre-orders along with the OST. The postcards are in limited quantities, later pre-orders won't be including them.

http://www.rosenqueen.com/index.asp?...&ID=3&DC=A22NM

Most amazing jew boots
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:11 AM Local time: May 24, 2007, 10:11 PM #7 of 20
Wow I cant wait for the soundtrack. Its a bummer that Gamestop has not offered any extras with the pre-orders. I was hoping for at least a postcard

FELIPE NO
Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:54 AM Local time: May 25, 2007, 07:54 PM #8 of 20
If anyone cares this youtube user's uploading the entire game, piece by piece: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=VividAriah

Japanese version of course but it gives you the feeling of what it's all about.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 08:22 AM #9 of 20
Thanks for the heads up, yangxu. I put five dollars down for it at Gamestop awhile ago, but they hadn't offered anything for the preorder. Just put it in at RosenQueen.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 09:13 AM Local time: May 25, 2007, 07:13 AM #10 of 20
http://rpgland.com/games/grimgrimoire/preview2.html
How it all works and impressions, English version:
Quote:
To do anything in battle, one needs mana. This mana can be harvested by certain types of characters that the player can purchase (so logically, the player starts with a small amount of startup mana), then command to seek rune stones to set up harvesting operations. When some mana has been built up, other soldiers with different purposes and uses become available. For example, elves are good for mining mana, healing other units, or building defense towers; phantoms are pure fighters; fairies' flying ability and decent attack power make them good for scouting new areas or defending a passage.

Once the game moves a bit and battles become larger-scale, the player won't have much time to sit calmly and watch the soldiers duke it out. There will be a lot of things going on at once, several key places requiring a watchful eye, and all the while, new areas of the battle map being scouted out in search of the enemy's bases. Players can build new types of bases using their grimoires, and each type of base can only summon its own variety of units. It's fairly complex-sounding at first, but it all falls into place easily, and RTS players in particular shouldn't have any problem getting good at the game relatively quickly.

--snip snip snip--

GrimGrimoire is pretty fun so far--not an amazing experience, but a good one for sure. At this time, it's hard to say whether veterans and fans of RTS games such as Warcraft or Command and Conquer would be very into this title, but hopefully that will make itself clear in time for our review next month. The game is due out in June.
That was written before clearing it, but now that it's over, my opinion hasn't changed much, and it'll get a positive rating. Soon I'll get off my lazy ass and review it....

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:01 PM Local time: May 25, 2007, 11:01 AM #11 of 20
Does the game feel like it would have been better off using a mouse and keyboard?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2007, 01:37 PM Local time: May 25, 2007, 11:37 AM #12 of 20
Does the game feel like it would have been better off using a mouse and keyboard?
Not really, no.
Longtime Starcraft/C&C/Warcraft players might disagree somewhat, but after a few battles to get over the initial awkwarness, you get used to the controls. It's not perfect, but it works just fine--I'd say about well as a keyboard and mouse combo.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:35 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 07:35 AM #13 of 20
So Grim Grimoire is out. Anyone have any thoughts?

Is it good enough to buy?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"

Last edited by Cat9; Jun 27, 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:26 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 11:26 AM #14 of 20
So aside from a lot of people going "omg this game lags worse than OdinSphere wtf >=0~~" I've been hearing many great things from this game.

I'll definitely try to pick it up this week so I can play it.

Apparently there are only sixteen units total (four per alchemy book). I hope it doesn't become too repetitive, then again I guess that's better than having 100+ units and only needing to bother with 1 of them because it's stronger than all of the others combined.

Videos make this thing look super confusing, so hopefully the controls aren't as as some of the videos make them out to look.

Worst comes to worst... at least the soundtrack is good.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:42 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 02:42 PM #15 of 20
I got my hands on an advance copy of this bad boy, and all I can say is YAWN. Not enough units, the game is too short (tops out at about 16 hours), the story is average at best, the gameplay is laggy, it is pretty as hell, but that just doesn't make up for the rest. This is more RTS than RPG, so I don't know what it's doing in this forum, but overall, I'd say there are better games out right now to spend your money on, but this genre is dead at the moment. If you want some eye candy, go for it. But this game is a slightly better use of cash than Dawn of Mana, and that's not saying much.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:18 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 07:18 PM #16 of 20
I got my hands on an advance copy of this bad boy, and all I can say is YAWN. Not enough units, the game is too short (tops out at about 16 hours), the story is average at best, the gameplay is laggy, it is pretty as hell, but that just doesn't make up for the rest.
If it isn't worth a purchase, is it worth spending the 16 hours on the game for a 5$ weekend rental fee?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:41 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 07:41 PM #17 of 20
Oh yeah, definitely worth a rent, if only for the visuals.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2007, 08:39 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2007, 09:39 PM #18 of 20
I just received the game last night and completed this morning.

My thought on it
1) Its very pretty (lotsa eye candies)
2) I love the music
3) Very repetitive
4) LAAAAGGGGG with 1000ms+ ping

Its worth collecting for hardcore collectors, otherwise rent before you buy!
Can't really get use to the control... I guess I am a bit of a slow learner <_<

How ya doing, buddy?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 06:39 AM #19 of 20
This game is 15 hours tops? Excellent. It's going to fit perfectly into my weekend schedule.

Is the fact that you can't save in the middle of a stage as bad as it sounds?

How ya doing, buddy?

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 03:50 PM #20 of 20
The game is too short for that to matter.

Most amazing jew boots
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Grim Grimoire