Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Tri-Ace's Infinite Undiscovery

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2008, 05:09 AM #51 of 84
^Sry about the SO4 mention (not arguing btw)... was just thinking along the lines of if IU is exclusively 360... then I'm hoping the PS3 gets SO4 (so I can decide which next-gen console to go for... besides same makers right :P).

The thing is - I've always been a PS fan simply because I'm big for RPGs (yeah I'm crazy in that aspect.. just bought a whole load of PS1 RPGs and currently plan on playing them lol).... but I'm not what you call a crazy fangurl and I'm always out for any additional options. I know there's Lost Odyssey. However, that's not enough (by itself) for me to turn my back on the PS (I know the 360 got great games - but I'm aiming MAINLY for RPGs).

The addition of this game MAY though 'cause it LOOKS very nice, the character designs aren't bad, the music is neat, the trailer's kinda fun but the story (so far) is kinda bleh (but I mean you never know in this aspect) and the title is pushing me away. Eitherway, I'll be keeping an eye on this title and any further updates.

Why can't you just hope for both systems to get both games? Choice is always better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Tsunade
Clinically Insane!!

Member 153

Level 23.12

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2008, 04:34 PM #52 of 84
Honestly I wouldn't mind... there's no reason why I wouldn't want both console gamers to enjoy a good game. But as for now - that's not really how it's looking like unfortunately (again looking at the RPGs on line). So I'm trying to give myself a deciding factor (yes I actually have a job and no I still dun have the $$ to own both consoles).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

^By Auro from the FFXII board... Thanks ^^

Last edited by Tsunade; May 26, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2008, 05:45 PM Local time: May 26, 2008, 02:45 PM #53 of 84
Why can't you just hope for both systems to get both games? Choice is always better.
Not really. A development focus on one system usually results in a better game. We need more games that focus on individual system strengths rather than getting a bunch of games developed for the least common denominator.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2008, 08:47 PM Local time: May 26, 2008, 07:47 PM #54 of 84
That's a pretty stupid outlook.

Even teams with small amounts of resources can do cross platform stuff fine. In most cases, the end result turns out to be pretty swanky, regardless of platform. How often do you end up with titles exclusive to one platform that the other couldn't do from a technical standpoint in this day and age?

Considering how small most of those strengths are on both sides, it seems like a far more sensible outlook to want to have other players experience the good games more than wanting them to miss out so you can have some mild to practically non-existant addition to your titles.

The lowest common denominator these days are the devs, not the consoles. When was the last time you saw them take advantage of anything, even when going exclusive?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2008, 01:28 AM Local time: May 26, 2008, 10:28 PM 1 #55 of 84
Multiplatform development is heavily restrictive still. If you are developing a game with two platforms in mind you must design your entire game down to each individual scene so both platforms can run them identically. Can't run 5 enemies on screen at once with AI on that Xbox 360? Gotta drop them down to 3 enemies on both versions. Can't push enough polygons for that scene on the PS3? Gotta drop the detail down on both versions. That's not to mention the huge Blu-Ray consideration for these types of games. Hell just consider the effect on the content in GTA4 if they didn't need to worry about DVD-9.

It's still very much a consideration for both platforms especially considering how different the two are in regards to CPU and GPU balance. It also adds a complex layer to design which has a huge impact of how a game turns out multiplatform over being platform specific.

We need less multiplatform games, not more. There is a reason why the most technically impressive games of this generation are largely exclusive to their platform. Not to mention multiplatform development costs money and more of that money is going into engine and technical development rather than content development when dealing with two platforms rather than one.

Quote:
Considering how small most of those strengths are on both sides, it seems like a far more sensible outlook to want to have other players experience the good games more than wanting them to miss out so you can have some mild to practically non-existant addition to your titles.
No I think this is a pretty dumb outlook. Is there some rule preventing people from buying more than one console that I wasn't aware of? I want the best games possible.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Cetra; May 27, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2008, 02:33 AM Local time: May 27, 2008, 01:33 AM #56 of 84
The problem with "best games possible" is that even developers working on exclusive titles for any of the platforms rarely do anything with the strengths of the specific console in mind. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone really take advantage of many of these strengths, and in cases such as that, I certainly wouldn't really care if it got ported to another box just so users who are not as fortunate as ourselves can get to enjoy it.

To complain about BEST POSSIBLE would require the industry to put forth the effort to meet that, and fuck, they almost never do that anymore. Maybe if they did, I'd be more inclined to agree with your viewpoint.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2008, 03:05 AM Local time: May 27, 2008, 12:05 AM #57 of 84
Well after the fact ports aren't so bad mostly because those tend to get an additional budget plus the original development usually doesn't have to keep the second platform in mind.

But this simultaneous platform development is killing these games. They pretty much get the same budget and development time as exclusive games but that budget is split between two sets of development teams rather than one. Plus framework creation takes longer so content creation ends up with a smaller time slice than exclusive development. You can bitch about the general state of the industry in terms of quality, but there really is no way in hell you are getting an equal game from simultaneous development with resources for the project being split across two platforms rather than those same resources being focused on a single platform.

How ya doing, buddy?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2008, 03:27 AM Local time: May 27, 2008, 02:27 AM 1 #58 of 84
I don't think I ever disagreed with the notion of a simultaneous development on multiple platforms ended up splitting costs or resulted in longer times in the oven.

I'm saying that going for a single platform rarely results in a better product, regardless of these design and implementation issues. So rarely, in fact, that I rarely give a shit if something is going to be exclusive anymore. It's not likely that they'll take advantage of the situation and give us a better product in the end, anyway. So yeah, you often do get an equal game.

If they did, sure. Otherwise....eh', why not?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2008, 07:02 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2008, 04:02 PM #59 of 84
Gameplay demo footage

Forever Fantasy - Infinite Undiscovery Demo Video Part 1

Quote:
A new Infinite Undiscovery video has been uploaded to the Japanese Inside Xbox service. The video shows off the first high quality gameplay footage taken from the game's official demo. This is only part 1, and part 2 is supposed to be released tomorrow.
Download: http://trailer.forever-server.net/in...july-part1.wmv

YouTube Video

If anyone can translate some of what the Tri Ace developer says in the footage, that would be nice. I like what I can see in the battle system so far.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Jul 2, 2008 at 07:19 PM.
Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:28 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2008, 08:28 PM #60 of 84

This is the best thing to ever happen to JRPGs.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:25 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2008, 01:25 PM #61 of 84
IGN REVIEW UH OH

Might have to wait for the Last Remnant for a better squareenix offering.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:42 PM Local time: Aug 28, 2008, 02:42 AM #62 of 84
What the fuck, I read through that whole review twice and I couldn't figure out what they actually disliked about the game.

Absolute shit article with arbitrary scores. Is this the norm for IGN?

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:05 PM #63 of 84
Pretty much, yeah, especially for RPGs. I was shocked they actually liked Tales of Vesperia. Many of their reviews consist of the writer complaining about how much he hates the game, then giving it a 7.x score.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:14 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2008, 10:14 PM #64 of 84
What the fuck, I read through that whole review twice and I couldn't figure out what they actually disliked about the game.

It's not that unusual for a whole bunch of sites (*ahem*... just saying).

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:24 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2008, 05:24 PM #65 of 84
Although I haven't read the review yet cause I'm at work I really am looking forward to this time. It comes out on my bday. I love how the battle system looks.

How ya doing, buddy?
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:32 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2008, 07:32 PM #66 of 84
Infinite Undiscovery: New Japanese Infinite Undiscovery Gameplay Trailer

New trailer, all footage is in game. Looks really nice so far to me.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 4, 2008, 07:22 AM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 10:22 PM #67 of 84
Oh hay, did anyone else get this? I was in an RPG mood for some reason, and thanks to Namco being cunts with Vesperia (region locking the US version, PAL version not due out for another eight months) I decided to give this a go. With my wallet. And my hands.

I've put in a few hours so far, destroyed the first chain. It's pretty okay I guess. I like the combat, you can play this game with the control pad, the visuals are typically displayed on a display of some sort. It has music. I'll possibly play some more later on and keep you updated okay.

Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:29 AM #68 of 84
Oh hay, did anyone else get this? I was in an RPG mood for some reason, and thanks to Namco being cunts with Vesperia (region locking the US version, PAL version not due out for another eight months) I decided to give this a go. With my wallet. And my hands.

I've put in a few hours so far, destroyed the first chain. It's pretty okay I guess. I like the combat, you can play this game with the control pad, the visuals are typically displayed on a display of some sort. It has music. I'll possibly play some more later on and keep you updated okay.
I got the game also. It's ok in it's own way, but could have had a few improvements. The main character's VA in the beginning is awkward.

Yes....yes it is.
IGN is just bad for that reason along with others. It's like the content written within the review doesn't even match up to the score. You'd probably get a better job of having monkeys writing.

Hell, just about the only few places I even give any small concern, is with Gametrailers, and GameInformer, because they at least give some sort of content to go upon.

Last edited by Kagosin; Sep 4, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:33 AM #69 of 84
I'm planning to buy this from my local Play N Trade, but he wasn't getting it in until today. I'll probably trade in a couple of old DS games to lower the price a bit, but if nothing else he charges $2 less on new titles.

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2008, 08:34 AM #70 of 84
I plan on getting this as well, but since I'm in the midst of Tales of Vesperia, I might wait a bit.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Sep 4, 2008, 02:51 PM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 11:51 AM #71 of 84
I'm going to rent this from blockbuster tomorrow or Sat for sure. I can't wait!

FELIPE NO
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2008, 01:22 AM #72 of 84
I picked it up from Gamestop today on a whim, gonna get to it after I finish Vesperia. I was also given the pre-order bonus, despite not having the game pre-ordered. Pretty nice surprise, although ultimately something I likely won't care about.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 5, 2008, 01:45 AM Local time: Sep 4, 2008, 10:45 PM #73 of 84
I got a good 6 hours in with this game today. It's an average Tri-ace game and reminds me a lot of Radiata Stories in that it has a lot of great concepts but they just couldn't bring them together very well. I'll finish it eventually but eh nothing much to mention about this one.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:03 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2008, 12:03 AM #74 of 84
I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, I'm about 10 hours in now. The game really picks up pace after the first 6 hours I'd say, and things get a good deal more fun. Unfortunately the first 6 hours can be pretty painful.

I'm enjoying the gameplay -- the computer AI is great for your teammates. They actually heal you, and they actually run away when they're dying. What a relief!

For anyone that hasn't played a Tri-Ace action RPG, think of it kind of as a cross between Ocarina of Time swordplay and Star Ocean group play. There's quite a bit of customization that you can throw in there -- though some of the combat elements can feel a little wonky at times (though other times they shine, so I'd say the issue is more with some of the encounter designs).

Overall, it's a lot of fun, an untraditional style RPG. And the story gets a lot better if you can just get through the beginning without giving up! =P

<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2008, 01:27 AM #75 of 84
I'm only a couple of hours in (I broke my vow of completing Vesperia first). The game itself is fun. Dialog is a bit awkward, but that's to be expected from a JRPG. What gets me most is the motion capped cutscenes. It's not just this game, but it really underscored the problem: Whoever they get to motion cap these things could not look more jerky and awkward if they tried. It's like they don't know how to move naturally. Maybe it's a Japanese Actor thing.

The battle system and AI are great. As Guru said, the AI runs when low on HP and heals whoever needs it usually without any prompting. The quick Connect commands are also really helpful for getting the drop on enemies.

The music caught me by surprise, too. It's one of the more original scores that Sakuraba has churned out recently, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Not a half bad impulse buy if I do say so myself.

Last edited by Taco; Sep 6, 2008 at 02:25 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Tri-Ace's Infinite Undiscovery