Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: How do you like it?
More more more! 1 12.50%
Psh, more like Moore Moore Moore. 7 87.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Stretching the picture

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 03:51 PM #1 of 9
Stretching the picture

Over Thanksgiving, I got into a debate with my family over viewing preferences on an HDTV. I'm fairly certain they're just nuts, but I'll let the community at large decide.

When I watch normal, non-HD programming, I set the TV in 4:3 mode. Yes, it puts black bars on either side of the screen, but it's the correct resolution. My father and brother, on the other hand, watch everything in 16:9. "Standard cable looks like crap on HD anyway, and we'd rather fill up the whole screen than have the giant bars on either side," they say. They don't understand that I don't want everyone on the screen stretched to Mo0-size proportions. Does anyone else leave their HDTV in 16:9 mode all the time?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:04 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 03:04 PM #2 of 9
I watch everything in its native aspect ratio, because I'm not retarded. You don't stretch a photo when you put it in a frame that is too big for it do you? No, you just mat it like a normal person. Same thing with a tv.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:25 PM #3 of 9
When I visit my family every now and then, I tend to find all of the widescreen televisions set to 16:9. This is especially curious since there are no HD playback devices in the entire house.
I used to covertly adjust the televisions so that they intelligently decide on the proper aspect ratio depending on the inputs, only to have to do the exact same thing the next time I visit.
Once, when I did that while other family members were watching with me, I got into an argument about how distracting it is to see Dylan McDermott resemble Michael Moore, and for some unfathomable reason most of my family was convinced that the grey/black bars were infinitely more distracting.
On top of that, my dad made the argument that he did not buy widescreen televisions just to "waste all that screen space."

Since there is no arguing with any of my family on any issue whatsoever, I continue to change the aspect ratios every time I visit.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:32 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 09:32 PM #4 of 9
I always watch 4:3 content in 4:3, no matter the aspect ratio of the screen it's on. Nobody else I know does this. It is apparently acceptable to watch things in stretch-o-vision. People actually complain about the black bars.

This is the problem with being a perfectionist.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:37 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 11:37 PM #5 of 9
black bars suck. :<
I stretch that shit, doesnt even look funny.

no homo
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:38 PM #6 of 9
I suppose I should have put a poll on this. A mod can feel free to add one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 05:47 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 03:47 PM 1 #7 of 9
Cryptic poll added!

I have a 4:3 TV and tend to watch most things in 4:3 even if it is widescreen content. At least I let the edges get chopped off instead of doing squishovision which is even worse than wiiiiiiiiiiiidescreen on normal TV.

Total mod actions for RR this year++

How ya doing, buddy?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:35 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 09:35 AM #8 of 9
I don't have HDTV so everything is in 4:3 mode, though I like squishovision with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen when watching widescreen movies. It looks like a "real" movie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 08:51 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 06:51 PM #9 of 9
In gaming, I leave it on 16:9. Otherwise normal TV stays at 4:3 (black bars doesn't bother me that much). Much better than seeing shit stretched and therefore looking messier.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Stretching the picture