Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Wireless Internet question

Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:13 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2007, 05:13 PM #1 of 3
Wireless Internet question

I've been running DSL from a modem for years now and I've always had to plug it into the Ethernet slot to get service (as expected).

Well, now I'm going to get wireless internet and I have a question about it: do I need something special on my computer to get service? I guess I could ask it like this: where does it plug in? I've never had wireless internet before, but I always thought it was some kind of card, and I don't know if my computer has a slot of a wireless internet card.

Forgive me if there's more than one way to plug wireless internet into your computer, if you need more info, I'll try, I haven't actually ordered it yet so I don't know too much, but I don't want to order something I can't really use.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2007, 08:36 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2007, 05:36 PM #2 of 3
Wireless internet isn't a seperate service from the one you have now, unless you mean Satellite Internet. If your case is the latter, SAGE that shit.

All you need is a wireless router (Wireless G is fast enough for most; buying anything better won't increase your internet speed) and a receiver for your computer. You can get either a PCI or USB receiver for about $40-50, or a PCMCIA card (for a laptop), for the same. If your laptop is fairly recent (last year or so), it's most likely built-in. The only exception is some of the HP slimline computers, because some of them have integrated wireless.

Hope that helps.

Most amazing jew boots

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2007, 05:02 AM Local time: Nov 7, 2007, 03:02 AM #3 of 3
Oh, okay, it's not seperate.... still a confusing process, but I think I get it. It boils down to me having to go out and buy stuff for it, which sucks. =/

But thanks, you cleared some hardware questions up, which was what I was worried about.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Wireless Internet question