Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Halo 2 Vol 1, copy protected or what?

Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 11:38 AM #1 of 13
Halo 2 Vol 1, copy protected or what?

I'll take a chance and start a thread; I'm not sure if this should go in the sticky or not...

So I picked up the Halo 2 Vol 1 ost while ordering some other stuff and when I get it I try to rip it and my computer freezes, it only froze when it reached the last track. I try to play it and it starts to skip, and then causes my computer to lock up until I eject the disc. Then I threw it into my 360 to play and it can't rip the track and when it plays, it plays until it starts to skip and then jumps back to the first track. So I contact the store tell them what's up and send it back, they send my a new one and it has the same problems as the first.

So I try to play it in my laptop, Xbox 360 and Xbox 1 and no joy; so I try my PS2, it plays, a portable cd player, it plays, and in my old desktop, it plays, and in my friends computer, it plays- so I'm like "what gives" (I find it ironic that the Halo 2 OST won't play in a Microsoft product). I haven't had this happen before and the rest of the disc plays fine, so it can't be a failing drive, right? Also when the compute starts to lock up I notice the hard drive light flashing and staying on a lot.

I decided to try to copy the disc, with my desktop, and I get "this disc is copy protected," and the copy works fine in all the things the orginal won't (even though Nero told me it failed)- I also made a image on the desktop and played it over a network on my laptop, which worked fine.

I tried to use Isobuster, on my laptop, which could play the track fine, but couldn't rip it, as described here:
http://www.dsg.cs.tcd.ie/~haahrm/copying-protected-cds/
But the thing is that there is only one session, the one with the audio tracks, so I'm confused as to whether or not there is any copy protection or not.

I also tried the holding shift key, and disabling the auto run in the registry as described here:
http://features.engadget.com/2004/06...un-on-windows/
Maybe here is where I should also say that I didn't try this on the desktop, so if there was anything bad on the disc it didn't seem to cause any problems. Both computers are Windows XP with service pack 2.

It made things worse when the store emails me and tells me the disc I sent back plays fine. So I am wondering if any one has ever had a problem like this before, particularly if anyone has the same problems with this disc? The disc and last track play fine in some things, but not in others, while the things it won't play in don't have a problem with any other track on the disc or any other disc, so I am confused. Any ideas?

Also do you think if I complain to Microsoft, I can get my four bucks I paid to ship the disc back because no where can I find anything that says "that this disc may not play right in some player?"

Thanks.

How ya doing, buddy?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 10:32 AM #2 of 13
Definitely copy protected.

Just fire up Exact Audio Copy, and rip or clone it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 11:14 AM Local time: May 20, 2006, 08:14 AM #3 of 13
Is there more than one version? I am pretty sure my copy isn't protected...

Seems more like a bad disc to me. Either way, I'd ask for a refund and buy it elsewhere, just to make sure.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 06:14 PM #4 of 13
Well EAC is what I used first when I did encounter the problem- the computer just starts to freeze. I had to bring the desktop out of retirement to make an image.

They won't give a refund on an open disc; and this disc number 2. The store said the disc plays fine, and some of my things the new disc plays fine too. I just don't get how it can play fine on somethings and not others. Well maybe I can ask for refund and see what happens, the thing is the cost of having to ship it back again would pretty much be the same value as the cd. Actually I intend to email someone who has dealings with the disc and see if I can't at least get the money back that I paid on shipping.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 04:14 PM #5 of 13
I don't know, EAC ripped all three of the Halo OSTs I have with no problem whatsoever...

Oh well, good luck!

Most amazing jew boots
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 07:55 PM #6 of 13
Yillb, what CD drives do you have in your desktop?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 05:32 PM #7 of 13
The desktop drives are: a Lite-On CDRW (sohr-52385), and a Samsung DVD-Rom (sd-616f): this is the computer that the disc works in; while the laptop has a Toshiba CDW/DVD (sd-r2612) and, for the record I have the Hitachi DVD drive in the 360.

FELIPE NO
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 07:55 PM #8 of 13
Well I did make a copy which worked fine- I guess I'm just curious really.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 09:21 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 06:21 PM #9 of 13
What I'd like to know; has anyone else had this problem as well? This is the first time I have heard anything about such an issue with the disc. So, it makes me wonder if it's a problem with CP, the disc or something else...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 02:34 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 11:34 AM #10 of 13
~Bump~

Just ripped all three Halo CDs, no Copy-Protection on any of them...

Most amazing jew boots
Yillb
Syklis Green

Member 145

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2006, 05:50 PM #11 of 13
Damn...sigh...oh well, thanks.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Halo 2 Vol 1, copy protected or what?