Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Need help with Quantum Leap Goliath

Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:18 PM #1 of 7
Need help with Quantum Leap Goliath

Ok I have the "Play" version of Goliath and I want to enhance my music that I've made from Sibelius. How do I load midi's into Goliath? The program can run itself, but will I need a program like Cubase to do this? If someone can help me figure this out, I'd be very appreciative.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:24 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2008, 10:24 PM #2 of 7
You need a sequencer like Sonar, Cubase, Logic, etc. Import the midi file into the sequencer, load your instance of Goliath as a plug-in and then assign your midi tracks to different channels that are then routed through the Goliath samples.

Your workflow is a problem though. Here is my very strong recommendation: start composing from scratch entirely in the sequencer; you will get much better response from your sample libraries when you use them as a starting point, not an ending point.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Moguta
Tentacle Extraordinaire

Member 15679

Level 12.01

Nov 2006

Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:29 AM #3 of 7
Also wanted to add that REAPER is a wonderful rapidly developing sequencer. Much like WinRAR, you can sample its full functionality for free and then may choose to buy a license ($50 non-commercial, $225 commercial usage) after the evaluation period is up.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Good morning, post-apocalyptia!
killerpineapple
Chocobo

Member 18440

Level 10.84

Jan 2007

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:52 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2008, 11:52 AM #4 of 7
I totally agree with Cellius...notation programs are simply not designed to provide high quality audio files for listening purposes. If this is a one time deal, then yeah, import the midi into a sequencing program and commence clean up to get it to sound natural and pleasing. But if you're looking towards the future then seriously consider using Sibelius only for sheet music and a MIDI sequencer for producing your audio recordings.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:44 PM #5 of 7
Hey thanks for the advice everyone! I got Sonar 7 and am starting to get the hang of things. I've been writing my compositions through the sequencer, too. I'm actually in the process of resampling FFVI, I might post it on the forums if anyone is interested. Thanks again for the help .

I was speaking idiomatically.
Aztaroth
Syklis Green

Member 432

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Dec 4, 2008, 01:40 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 07:40 PM #6 of 7
I don't necessarily agree that you HAVE to use a sequencer to produce nice sounding audio files - sure, you can micromanage the MIDI easier, but you can configure a notation program to send all the midi data you need (not sure about Sibelius, as I use Finale).

If you wan't Sibelius to send the mididata (if it doesn't have VST support) to PLAY, you'll probably need a program like MidiOx/Yoke that creates virtual midiports, choose the MIDI output in Sibelius as MIDIYoke1 (or whatever it'll be called) and the same as MIDI-Input in PLAY.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
killerpineapple
Chocobo

Member 18440

Level 10.84

Jan 2007

Old Dec 4, 2008, 07:36 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2008, 05:36 PM #7 of 7
I actually use Finale all the time and, truth be told, it's playback has improved remarkably over the last several years. But it still pales in comparison to what you can accomplish sonically with a sequencer. Notation programs were never meant to produce high quality recordings. I shudder at the the thought of trying to use Finale to get a string quartet to play detached in the Baroque style, a harp to strum up and down naturally, or to get a piano to play rubato. It's possible, but it would take an absurd amount of time and it's doubtful that you can make it sound as good as a few minutes of work on a sequencer.

I find that Finale's playback does it's job admirably, but I wouldn't ever put it on my iPod.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Need help with Quantum Leap Goliath