Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Guide to Proper Lossless Rips

YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:53 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 11:53 PM #1 of 105
Quick question.

Ok, how come a track that I ripped a couple of weeks ago worked fine then, but suddenly now refuses to work and is corrupt? I don't get that. And is there a way to fix this or do i have to rip it all over again?

I get this error:

FLAC__FILE_DECODER_SEEKABLE_STREAM_DECODER_ERROR

Any thoughts on this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:38 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 12:38 AM #2 of 105
flac -> wav doesn't work either. When i initially did the rip i used flac frontend to encode, so i tried to decode with it to and still nothing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 02:51 AM #3 of 105
Well, the only thing i have done to the file is move it from one HDD to another. From SATA to PATA.

Now i have read somewhere else that this sort of thing could be hardware related, something like bad transfer between HDD's, something wrong with the mobo, bad drivers, overclocking, bad sectors on HDD's etc etc, but i am really not sure.

When it comes to .rar files, i ocasionally have CRC errors. No, wait, scratch that. Recently, a lot of CRC errors. Maybe there is a connection. Im not really good with these sorts of things.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 01:37 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 07:37 PM #4 of 105
Well i dont know what to make of this. I tried compressing an album that was in wav and cuting/pasting it from HDD to HDD to check if some CRC error poped up. There were no errors.

Then i compressed an album that was in flac, did the same thing, cuting/pasting it from HDD to HDD. The first transfer got me a CRC error right away.

I don't know what to do next, maybe checking the HDD's with some scanning program? What are some good HDD scanning programs?

Quote:
Trust me, from what I've heard so far, corrupted FLAC files is the least of your worries.
Please elaborate. Is it that bad?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 06:40 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2006, 12:40 AM #5 of 105
Okey, here is what i have done:

1. Compressed a flac album into one .rar file using winrar.

2. Move that file around old folders/new folders/different HDD's (I have 3 in this case) and tried to unpack and test it if its got any CRC errors.

3. The result: nothing, no CRC's errors whatsoever. My guess is that this thing happens randomly because i can't seem to find any pattern here. Sometimes it gets an error, sometimes it don't.

But why are errors such a big problem with flac files opposed to say mp3 files?

And a little humor to close off this post:

As i type this i see that my google ads read:

1. Corrupt File?
Free Registry scan, fix errors and improve PC performance. Try it now

2. Fix Corrupt Files Fast
All Corrupt Files Fixed Instantly Free Scan, Repair 100% Guaranteed

I thought it was kind of funny

I was speaking idiomatically.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 05:29 PM #6 of 105
Okey, so I want to rip this CD that I have. The format is .oma or .omg, meaning that it's some sony stuff. EAC can't handle it, gives me sync errors everytime I try. So I read that dbpowerAMP can rip it.

My question being this:
Are there any differences between EAC and dbpowerAMP? Will it still be lossless when I rip it? Will it still be the same quality as any standard EAC rip?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:49 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 07:49 PM #7 of 105
But it's an original CD, not some junk I downloaded from the net. And it's the official release of that CD, not a bootleg. How can an original CD be lossy? I'm confused.

FELIPE NO
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:56 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 05:56 PM #8 of 105
Is it still lossy? Cause if it is there is no point in trying to rip it, because I want it lossless.

I have a NEC DVD RW 3550A. I tried ripping it, but it gave me a bunch of sync errors. I tried it with the standard EAC lossless ripping setup (Eleo's guide). Maybe I need to change some settings?

And here is a link to the CD.

http://www.cdon.com/main.phtml?navroot=904&session=1

Duran Duran - Astronaut (CD+DVD)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 01:45 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 07:45 PM #9 of 105
Okey, apparently my DVD-ROM wasn't good enough (NEC DVD_RW ND-3550).
So I bought a new one (PLEXTOR - DVDR PX-760SA). Works like a charm.

Now on to another question. The driveoffset list on accuraterip.com only lists the ATA version of the plextor drive. I have the SATA version. Does this affect the drive offset or is the same one in both cases?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Guide to Proper Lossless Rips