Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Good MP3 Player (1 GB)?

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:31 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2009, 12:31 PM #1 of 18
Using a Sandisk Sansa Fuze (8GB version, firmware v1 type) since some weeks.

Did cost me around 70EUR and supports MP3, Vorbis, FLAC and WMA. Data can be uploaded either in MTP mode or with standard MSC (device appears as USB mass storage device on your system). Metadata is indexed when files change on the device and you can browse using the metadata. Metadata extraction when using MSC mode is still a bit flawed, but it works OK for MTP mode. However you can also use directory based browsing for files that were uploaded through MSC.

Still no official Rockbox support for the device, but I'm tracking the development and as far as I can see only small issues remain before the port becomes officially supported.

Coming back to the metadata issue: The most problematic thing is ID3v2 (the newer type of tagging for MP3) since there are a bunch of different format types like v2.3, v2.4 plus the different encoding types (UTF8, UTF16, latin1, etc.)
No problem with Vorbis files, since the tagging structure is pretty easy. Upload Vorbis through MSC and it works like a charm. Do the same with MP3 and if you're lucky you get your tags recognized, if not... well, you'll have a hard time finding your files.

I'm currently using Gnomad2 (originally for the Creative Labs player series) to upload files via MTP. Beware that Gnomad2 is a linux tool, but I'm pretty sure that there is something similar on Windows.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the player. The sound quality is very good (provided that you don't use the original earbuds) and the metadata issues are minor stuff for me.

EDIT: Oh yes, almost forgot a important bit: The newer firmware versions support replaygain, which is really great when you have a lot of different files (meaning from different albums) on your player.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:18 AM Local time: Sep 23, 2011, 04:18 PM #2 of 18
I'm still using the Sansa Fuze from my previous post, but now it is rockboxed and upgraded with a 8GB microSD card.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Good MP3 Player (1 GB)?