Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Guide to Ripping & Encoding High Quality MP3s

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:57 PM #1 of 108
I can't see what you're trying to say.

If it's that LAME (including its -V2 setting) is a good codec like it was discussed not so long ago and that is actually mentioned in the first post of this thread, sure, I agree. If it's that you actually want to discuss about LAME's settings/presets (and in answer to your question at HA), -V2 is not the best VBR setting to reach the highest quality, technically. However, it is considered to be transparent by the majority, so the advantage of using it over higher settings like -V0 is that it will make the filesize smaller while still having a "perfect" quality (in relation to transparency). I guess some people have better ears and they find the sound is bad with -V2 (which surprises me!) and they prefer to go with -V1 or -V0, but in my opinion, the quality difference is so small that I'm not certain if it's actually worth it. At that point, switching to another format would be better, if extremely-high quality is the objective.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2009, 07:03 PM #2 of 108
Hey Moguta, it seems like LAME 3.98 (3.98.2?) is the current stable release. I haven't noticed anyone using it yet, but I guess it is safe to go with it, right?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Guide to Ripping & Encoding High Quality MP3s