Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

remote administration of an FTP server.

Relic
and after all this...

Member 945

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:15 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 05:15 PM #1 of 5
remote administration of an FTP server.

So, I have an FTP server.

The actual server is running on my home PC, which is about 50 miles away from the dorm that I'm stuck in over the week. This is a bit annoying, since, even though I go back on most weekends, I can't check to make sure that no one's hammering the server 1000 times a second, or trying to download my entire hard drive, or doing anything else UNCOUTH and RUGOSE and making my computer or ISP ;_;.

So, is there any way to check on the status of an FTP server through the Internet? I'm running BPFTP Server, BTW.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
- won't you give me a smile...? -
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:11 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 03:11 PM #2 of 5
I do not know of any utilites that can do this for you. However, I do have two suggestions:

1) Run a web server (Apache) and write up a script that would output BFTP's logs for you. I can help with this if you want to try it.
2) Install something like TightVNC on the server box so you can log in remotely and check things that way--if you've heard of "Remote Desktop", this is similar.

SSH clients and servers can do the same, but you may not enjoy working on the command-line all the time~

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:45 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 07:45 AM #3 of 5
Why not just use Remote Desktop, since you're running Windows?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:13 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 02:13 AM #4 of 5
Or use FileZilla server ('tis free). This has remote administration built in.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Relic
and after all this...

Member 945

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:31 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 11:31 PM #5 of 5
Originally Posted by Bigblah
Why not just use Remote Desktop, since you're running Windows?
Originally Posted by Roph
Or use FileZilla server ('tis free). This has remote administration built in.
Don't you have to run Windows XP Professional to use Remote Desktop? Both systems are running Windows XP Home, and I don't really want to switch up all my software, which is also why I'd rather not switch FTP server programs.

TightVNC sounds promising, though...I'll give it a shot the next time I'm out of town. Thanks! <3

I was speaking idiomatically.
- won't you give me a smile...? -

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > remote administration of an FTP server.