Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ripping in FLAC with my laptop

Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:03 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 12:03 PM #1 of 15
Ripping in FLAC with my laptop

I've recently switched to ripping my CDs in FLAC using my laptop, as it's a lot faster, although i've found the drive has different settings than my desktop one.
I'm ripping in secure mode, the results sound fine, but it seems both drives have 'use accurate stream' enabled, although my laptop one does not auto detect 'defeat audio cache', where as my PC drive does, and instead it detects 'make use of C2 pointers', which my PC drive dosn't.

I just wanted to check that these settings will still give me the best results, before I started ripping my entire collection

Additional Spam:
Also, on both my laptop and PC, I am unable to rip the Narnia LWW soundtrack. If I use secure it takes like 3 hours and I get sync errors, and if I use burst it rips, but the tracks are crazy, skipping all over the place non-stop. Odd.

I notice the CD has one of those stupid data files in the tracklist. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Edit - 3 drives i've tried ripping it on now. Secure and Burst both give crazy skipping tracks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Thalin; Aug 8, 2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:19 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2008, 12:19 AM #2 of 15
Sounds like the problem isn't with your software, it's with the hardware. Probably the disc itself. Is it all scratched up?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Nehmi
spectre of humanity

Member 684

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:30 AM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 11:30 AM #3 of 15
So which settings are you using exactly? It sounds like you need to enable audio cache (apparently not the best thing) & C2 error correction for the drive. Also, as a bonus, make sure you are using the correct offset for you particular drive. The Accurate Rip website should have it.

If you don't have C2 error correction enabled for the drive and it is capable of it, you should definitely turn it on! That might help with all the crazy skipping tracks.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 06:23 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2008, 11:23 PM #4 of 15
Well the laptop ripping and disk problem were meant as two different questions I was just wondering whether not having the 'defeat audio cache' enabled for my laptop drive would affect the quality of any of my CD rips. I auto detected and that's what the results were. I make sure the offsets are correct for each drive

As for the Narnia CD, it has a few light scratches, but it seems OK. I think it might be to do with the data track. When it loads up on the PC it opens some lame media player and plays it, so EAC must be picking up that program/file in the tracklist. I seem to remember having the same problem with another CD, with it picking up a data track, although I think that one ripped OK, it just took hours. This one however rips the disk but every track is crazy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:27 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2008, 08:27 AM #5 of 15
Ok, try disabling Autorun. Hold down shift while inserting the CD into the drive. Then try ripping again to see if it makes any difference.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
KeyLogic
Good Chocobo

Member 23833

Level 16.19

Aug 2007

Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:46 PM #6 of 15
Also make sure to properly set your laptop drive's Offset Correction, AccurateRip will have it listed.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:31 AM Local time: Aug 11, 2008, 04:31 PM #7 of 15
Does nobody think what I think? Copy protection...

I also have the Narnia score, the limited edition one, dunno if it has a CP though. I can try a rip this evening if that would help you Thalin. However it played back fine with digital extraction on my LG drive, hmm...

FELIPE NO
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:01 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 01:01 AM #8 of 15
Yeah, I suspect it's copy protection. Sneaky bugger must be autorunning some sort of program. I understand Sony BMG used to sneak in their rootkits through this option?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:02 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2008, 11:02 PM #9 of 15
Hmm, I have a unix OS running, so I'm not affected by these funny tools (I even don't have any automounting/autorunning activated).
After the Sony rootkit affair people should now better though. If someone with a little information about current activities in the record industry has still activated autorun features... well, he deserves to be rootkitted

Anyway, I was more thinking about manipulated TOC stuff, bad sectors, etc.
I have a Vanessa Mae album that is incredibly hard to rip because it desyncs all the time. Playing it back with digital extraction is impossible in real-time, because the drive is constantly seeking to keep finding the correct sector. That's a real killer CD, use it thrice on your brand-new drive and it makes it age fast-forward *g*

I think I did use EAC to rip it some time ago (I legally own it, and I'm really not into breaking my hardware so I found it best to create a FLAC rip which I could play back without trouble). But I did it with burst mode and made multiple runs, checking the CRCs I got after each extraction run. They were all identical, so I assume that the probability of non-detected errors is quite low.

When dealing with these types of discs there is always some way to rip them cleanly. Either with EAC (for me the preferred method), or using some other tool like IsoBuster or even CloneCD.
Also you might wanna have an archive of old EAC versions on your system. Some time ago EAC had support for TOC reconstruction and some other neat features, which made it good for breaking the popular audio CD copy protections. However the author got in trouble with the german authorities (we have quite some legal trouble here in Germany, concerning circumvention of copy protection...) and had to remove the functionality from the program again.
Also he had to remove the "bad" versions from his site. But as always there is a mirror on the net

Greets,
liquid

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Aug 11, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:30 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 05:30 PM #10 of 15
Ok, try disabling Autorun. Hold down shift while inserting the CD into the drive. Then try ripping again to see if it makes any difference.

This worked! Thanks so much, and for the other advice too

It's funny how if you forget to hold shift for like a split second during it's load it goes back to a crazy rip. You have to hold it literally the second the tray closes. Pesky autorun, or whatever it was.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:52 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2008, 10:52 PM #11 of 15
It's funny how if you forget to hold shift for like a split second during it's load it goes back to a crazy rip. You have to hold it literally the second the tray closes. Pesky autorun, or whatever it was.
You should just disable it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:05 AM #12 of 15
This is a long shot, but how can I convert a flac rip to mp3?

EDIT: On second though, ignore this post, found Foobar2000.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Sin Ansem; Aug 17, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
Thalin
Mountain Chocobo

Member 147

Level 26.83

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2008, 01:44 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2008, 06:44 PM #13 of 15
Might decrease quality. I suggest an MP3 rip right from the CD.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2008, 01:54 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2008, 12:54 PM #14 of 15
Doesn't matter how you create mp3s, once you convert something from any lossless format (WAV, FLAC, APE, etc.) to mp3 there's an automatic loss of quality, since mp3 is lossy.

I dunno if it's possible to directly convert FLAC to mp3, but I'd recommend converting FLAC > WAV > mp3 instead.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Aug 17, 2008, 02:12 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2008, 08:12 PM #15 of 15
Might decrease quality. I suggest an MP3 rip right from the CD.
Nonsense

I dunno if it's possible to directly convert FLAC to mp3, but I'd recommend converting FLAC > WAV > mp3 instead.
That's only a technical issue. Internally every transcoder first decompressed FLAC to the original waveform and then feeds it into the output encoded (LAME in this case).
The foobar2000 transcoding engine can do this on one step, however internally.... (see above).

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Ripping in FLAC with my laptop