Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Desperately need advice on recording from GBA games.

Dais
Are You The True Form of Darkness?

Member 12065

Level 5.43

Sep 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:05 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:05 AM #1 of 1
Desperately need advice on recording from GBA games.

Okay, it's like this. I have the games (the Shaman King: Master of Spirits titles). I have the DS. I have the cable to hook up to my system. I have a program (Creative WaveStudio) that will let me record from the DS and edit the wave and add stuff like fade and such. Using the resources on this board, I can find innumerable ways to encode the wav, with the preference for me personally being LAME.

I have, in fact, already done this for a single song, just to make sure I had that much ready.

The problem is, I still don't know how to do this right. If we define an audiophile as someone who is in love with sound quality and technology and all the ways the two interact, I'm pretty much an audiophobe.

For example - what's with kHz? Creative Wavestudio says CD quality is 44,100 kHz, but it goes up to 48000. So I recorded at that, only that ended up giving me a 48kHz mp3, and hey, my other mp3s are all 44. Probably for a good reason, only I have no idea what the reason is. So that's one thing I'd like to know - why 44 instead of 48?

The basic question I actually have, though, is this: how do I tell what kind of quality is best for this song file, and when it's too much? Obviously, GBA audio isn't exactly CD audio (although the MOS games have nicer quality music than a lot of GBA titles in my opinion). Is there a way to know when I'm overkilling, quality wise?

I ended up using out_lame.dll (ver 1.64, pointed at the latest lame_enc.dll), with VBR set min128/max320 and a VBR quality of 2. Is that a bad idea? It sounds 'fine' to me, but I have a really hard time figuring out when something is wrong with audio.

Honestly, anyone reading this topic would be doing me a big favor if they listened to the following mp3 and told me if there's something obviously wrong with it:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/...01/wave3-0.mp3

I mean, it should be at 44 instead of 48, and I'm not entirely satisfied with the fade (not that I know what satisfication would be), but I get the feeling that there's an optimal way of doing this that I most definitely did not follow.

Please help!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Desperately need advice on recording from GBA games.