Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Game Ripping at Wikipedia

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:40 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 04:40 PM 1 #1 of 17
Game Ripping at Wikipedia

I started this article over at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_rip_%28audio%29

What do you guys think? Please add to it or modify it if possible. Thanks!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 05:33 PM #2 of 17
Looks awesome! I can see this article being expanded in the future (I might contribute at some point). I fixed one typo, I'll see if you can guess where.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:35 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 02:35 AM #3 of 17
I'm amazed that there hasn't been an article about this until now, to be honest. How long have people been doing VGM rips? I have no idea myself, but I'm sure it must be about a decade, if not more.

How ya doing, buddy?
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:55 PM #4 of 17
I've been there for a very long time, but I start contributing to the gamerip "community" when I got Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on PS2 and I start ripping at that moment. And "gamerip" was already a common word in the forum. So it's been a while. Probably a decade yeah.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 01:00 PM #5 of 17
I think the menu bar at the bottom of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Sound_Format, which deals with PSF's and the like, might be a good addition to the page, and some of the categories are good candidates for inclusion too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:50 PM #6 of 17
Looks good to me. I'm not familiar with Wikipedia's rules in regards to questionably legal activities like game ripping, but would it be kosher to include links to the websites of common recording/extraction/editing software? Examples could be EAC, FMV Extractor, Audacity, and maybe Total Recorder. Also, an explanation of common recording setups might be in order. You know how there's a question about hooking up a playstation to a PC sound card and what cables to use around here every so often.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:48 PM Local time: Nov 30, 2006, 04:48 PM #7 of 17
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I think the menu bar at the bottom of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Sound_Format, which deals with PSF's and the like, might be a good addition to the page, and some of the categories are good candidates for inclusion too.
I actually have that already linked to at the end of the paragraph about extracting from uncommon formats. I don't know if it would be necessary on the page itself, however.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by tenseiken
would it be kosher to include links to the websites of common recording/extraction/editing software?
I think that is fine. It's the game/audio data that would cause any problems. Ripping software is totally legal as far as I can tell.

Also, the other stuff you mentioned sounds great. I'm not going to work on this article any more for now, but you or someone else can go right ahead and add that info.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Nov 30, 2006 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:19 AM #8 of 17
Yeah, they do all have a legitimate use, so I'd imagine they'd be okay to link. Well, I might fool around with it at work tomorrow then. =]

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2006, 06:16 AM Local time: Dec 1, 2006, 09:16 PM #9 of 17
Quote:
would it be kosher to include links to the websites of common recording/extraction/editing software?
The project isn't a how-to or web directory, so kosher it isn't.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 04:11 PM #10 of 17
Originally Posted by tenseiken
Looks good to me. I'm not familiar with Wikipedia's rules in regards to questionably legal activities like game ripping, but would it be kosher to include links to the websites of common recording/extraction/editing software? Examples could be EAC, FMV Extractor, Audacity, and maybe Total Recorder. Also, an explanation of common recording setups might be in order. You know how there's a question about hooking up a playstation to a PC sound card and what cables to use around here every so often.
Gameripping is perfectly legal even in the U.S.A. as long as you don't distribute the recordings.

Depending on the wording of any given game's license agreement, you may be breaking the terms of the license... and that would mean losing your privilege to play the game, not being brought to court.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:08 AM #11 of 17
I probably shouldn't have used the word 'legal'. I know that making a backup for personal use is legal, but Wikipedia isn't funded by the US government, so they don't necessarily have to allow anything the government would. After all, the recording industry has gotten away with suing over things that merely have the potential to piss in their cornflakes.

Anyway, that aside, Cal makes a pretty good point about Wikipedia not being a how-to, and that's why I haven't done anything with it myself.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Petra
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 14422

Level 2.25

Oct 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 04:05 PM #12 of 17
where can more details on the "Extracting from uncommon audio formats" method be found?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 08:28 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2006, 01:28 PM #13 of 17
I always thought wikipedia was more of an encloypedia then a 'how to' website so I'm a bit dubious how wiki admins would react to those website links, still as long as you keep what you typed up on record you can't lose anything either way. Who knows maybe the next big thing will be an encloypedia 'how to' website?

Most amazing jew boots
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 05:55 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 11:55 PM #14 of 17
I have some very imporant news that needs to be brought to attention. Please read my ENTIRE post before going anywhere else. Someone has changed the entry and entered this;

Quote:
Digital recording

If the game outputs digital signals directly to the recording device, such as a computer game producing sound on a personal computer where the recording is also being done, the audio can be recorded without any analog conversion. Once this is done, the file must be edited and such, just as with a line-in recording. This is different from a digital extraction in that there is no manipulation of game's audio files involved. However, the line can be blurred in some in some instances, such as when recording from an emulator. However, the good folks at Gamingforce have created a program that can record from an emulator perfectly, called Emu-Rip: SENDSPACE LINK WITH VIRUS Be sure to post any comments you have about it on their forum - http://www.gamingforce.com/forums
Before you rush over there and click the sendspace link - it's a virus. And someone is trying to set us up. The virus in question is; W32.Stration.DL@mm and Norton classifies it as a High-risk virus. Do NOT download that file.

I didn't change the entry because it might be useful in backtracking who edited the paragraph and uploaded the virus.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Killy; Jan 4, 2007 at 06:00 PM.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 06:30 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 01:30 AM #15 of 17
I didn't change the entry because it might be useful in backtracking who edited the paragraph and uploaded the virus.
A kid who hates the gamingforce forums and who loves to send viruses around. Hmm, I wonder who it could be~

FELIPE NO
WarpStar
Star of Warps

Member 8059

Level 13.14

Jun 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:35 PM #16 of 17
I think it's pretty obvious...he's vandalized that article numerous times before, if you look at the history.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:12 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 06:12 PM #17 of 17
All activity on Wikipedia is logged. If you see the page vandalized, you can go ahead and fix it (revert it). The history will always remain to provide evidence of crimes.

I'm not a big Wikipedia nut, but somebody could probably add this page to the watchlist here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped..._investigation

I just don't know if these malicious edits are severe enough for it to be listed there.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Game Ripping at Wikipedia