Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Compression Software

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 08:32 PM #1 of 9
Compression Software

I made a video that ended up 3 minutes long and 1.05 GB, but I need to compress it to 100 MB for on-line video hosting. I went to the Sony help chat and both people told me that the software can magically convert 1.05 GB into 700MB for CD-R if I don't download it to the computer, but for some reason they want me to look for third-party software in order to compress the video for on-line viewing. Does anyone know of any compression software that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (not over $50 since I am a college student) or of free compression software?

I greatly appreciate any and all help you can give me. You are the closest thing to experts that I can find when it comes to video and compression software.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 08:50 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 02:50 AM #2 of 9
SUPER is the daddy of video / audio encoding / re-encoding software. It comes with pretty much every codec built in, even ones such as h.264 / Theora.

Best of all, it's free

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 09:07 PM #3 of 9
So it's able to convert a 1.05 GB .avi to a 100 MB .avi? If so, any idea how that works?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog

Last edited by Visavi; Jul 2, 2006 at 09:15 PM.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:51 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 04:51 AM #4 of 9
If you AVI is 3 minutes long and a whopping 1Gb, you definately won't have much trouble getting it under 100Mb.

Should be pretty much fine, depending on the resolution of your video.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 10:39 PM #5 of 9
Originally Posted by Visavi
but I need to compress it to 100 MB for on-line video hosting.

I greatly appreciate any and all help you can give me. You are the closest thing to experts that I can find when it comes to video and compression software.
I have to ask, what kind of hosting are you doing? If you are hosting it on a personal website for very limited number of people, then SUPER would probably work fine.

If you are hosting it on a public website, it is very important that you make the file in either Quicktime compatability or with WMV (or flash), because these are the common video formats. If you you want to make a QT file, try handbrake . If you want WMV, then download Windows Media Encoder 9.

I recommend QT over WMV, because superior compression is possible. H.264 all the way!!!

Most amazing jew boots
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:08 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 12:08 PM #6 of 9
I recommend using x264 as video codec (newest revision) and ogg or aac as audio codec. Container should be something like mp4 or even matroska.
x264 provides MeGUI to convert to h264 using avisynth scripts and aac-encoding is easily possible if you're using foobar and have nero installed (foobar can access the aac encoding engine of nero). mp4 muxing can be done using Yamb.
IIRC if you're using a not too high profile for h264 encoding the resulting mp4 should be playable on the normal qt player (which sucks in my opinion, at least concerning h264 decoding).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:27 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 09:27 AM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid
I recommend using x264 as video codec (newest revision) and ogg or aac as audio codec. Container should be something like mp4 or even matroska.
x264 provides MeGUI to convert to h264 using avisynth scripts and aac-encoding is easily possible if you're using foobar and have nero installed (foobar can access the aac encoding engine of nero). mp4 muxing can be done using Yamb.
IIRC if you're using a not too high profile for h264 encoding the resulting mp4 should be playable on the normal qt player (which sucks in my opinion, at least concerning h264 decoding).
Right I have done this. However, all this requires an extensive amount of setup/work. I luv MeGUI, but am recently stuck with a Mac . I tried handbrake and am very impressed by its easy of use, fairly high quality h.264 and aac output, and it's compatibilty with quicktime.

FELIPE NO
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:34 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 06:34 PM #8 of 9
Well, I don't think it really an extensive amount. You can create the AviSynth Script in a few seconds yourself or use AutoGK/GordianKnot - and that the biggest part you're doing yourself. Converting the sound to AAC are like a bit more than 3 clicks or so. You're probably waiting most of the time for the x264 codec to finish the video part. And muxing: select audio, select video, mux and again wait for the end product.

cya
liquid

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 06:51 PM #9 of 9
Originally Posted by Dayvon
I have to ask, what kind of hosting are you doing? If you are hosting it on a personal website for very limited number of people, then SUPER would probably work fine.
I'm hosting it on photobucket or YouTube. Thanks for the help so far everyone .

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Compression Software