Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Time to go shopping!

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:40 PM Local time: Feb 1, 2011, 04:40 PM #1 of 20
Time to go shopping!

Just curious. How often do you buy new clothes or other goods that wear out (basically anything other than electronics, guys). When you go to get new stuff, do you stick to something tried and true and find all the same styles, or do you try to find something new or different?

I'm the kind that tries to fit the same brands and styles a lot when I go shopping for clothes, backpacks, shoes, etc. Sometimes I'll try something new, but if I come across something I like, I'll generally buy multiples (assuming it's something I have more than one of). I get kinda pissed when it's been a year or two and I can't find the same model or style of what I had.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 08:13 PM #2 of 20
Well, obviously you have to buy new basic staple clothes as needed. As far as 'needed' is concerned, if I have to repair a hem a few times I think it's time to bid the garment a fond adieu.

I also am in the eternal process of updating my wardrobe. Better cut, fit, styles more appropriate to my place in life, etc. Basically I don't want to look like a poor college student anymore.

Lately I've been building up my accessory wardrobe, but sorely neglecting my shoe wardrobe. I have a good few pairs that need to be replaced.

I know you were targeting clothes mostly, but another thing I haven't been paying as much attention to as I should've is furniture/storage solutions. My big New Years resolution is to take a critical eye to what I have and how I'm storing it, and see if I can come up with a better solution that utilizes the space I have more efficiently. Another big goal for this is that the things I need be easily accessible. I've decided that I don't want to be angry every time I need to get a stain out while doing my laundry, but the stain removal solutions I have are up in my linen closet in my bedroom.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2011, 09:15 PM #3 of 20
I basically add two or three t-shirts, one pair of pants, and maybe a new dress shirt to my repertoire once a year. My work uniform (red polo and black slacks) starts to get ratty every 6 to 9 months, so those get replaced. I tend to just pick up the same brands, out of necessity, since I'm in the size range where it's hard to find people that make my size.

Especially shoes. Good god, the only people who make shoes in my size are New Balance, sneaker-wise. I have size 9 EEEE feet. For dress shoes, I have to luck into a size 10 or 11 shoe that my foot will fit in, and even then I have to break them in since my feet are WIDE AS FUCK.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:18 AM #4 of 20
Every other month or so, I may luck out and find something fun to wear at the Salvation Army or Goodwill. When I say fun, I mean something aggravatingly ridiculous and very likely already used down to threads.

Most of the clothes I own have rips and tears, but fuck it, I don't care too much.

I will buy new clothes maybe once a year, and never more than $50 at a time. Which means maybe I get a new shirt or pair of jeans maybe once a year.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:18 AM #5 of 20
I genuinely like to shop, so I'll keep an eye on sales at Sears or JC Penney when I'm walking through the mall, and if I see something I like, I buy it. I pick up clothes one or two at a time, or as needed, and don't go out with the express purpose of buying a new wardrobe every year.

As for shoes, Sketchers also makes EEEE shoes. I wear 15EEEE, and believe me, those are hard to find.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:44 AM #6 of 20
I'll usually go out once a month or so and check out any local sales that might be going on. Usually it's just for browsing, but every so often something catches my eye and I end up making an impulse buy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:35 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2011, 06:35 PM #7 of 20
Holy jesus nutty, I thought my 12 wides are tough to find.

Also, moo, if you're looking for dress shoes, Rockports makes their shoes in widths, as does Clarks, I believe.

FELIPE NO
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:57 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2011, 10:57 PM #8 of 20
I'm a shopping whore. I can't help it, every month I look at my credit card statement and vow to not by so many clothes, but something always comes up. Then I see a suit, then a friend asks me to come along and I end up buying something for myself, it just doesn't seem to stop, even though I don't need a lot of the stuff.

Over the past 4 months alone, disregarding basic stuff like t-shirts, sweaters etc, I bought a suit, two pairs of jeans, a new pair of jeans, two ties and 4 dress shirts (although I do need most of this for work, so that's a bit of an excuse I guess). I had to start listing everything that I buy just to se how much I'm spending.

But I like it, I like trying on new things, I like different looks, it's simply fun to do in the morning. I try out a lot of different styles, nothing overly flashy because I do have to look acceptable at work, but tiny quirky things that add just a bit more to a look never do much harm. For instance, I have a Paul Smith shirt with a very small stripe pattern under the collar and the sleeves which make it just a bit more then an ordinary white shirt. I don't really limit myself to certain brands, but there are some like Paul Smith, Filippa K or Hugo Boss that you can always fall back on I believe.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:39 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2011, 10:39 AM #9 of 20
I wander through a handful of thrift stores once or twice a month. I don't always find something worth buying though... I like to keep my closet fairly roomy.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:45 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2011, 06:45 PM #10 of 20
I haven't bought many clothes for a while now, I think since Christmas I've only picked up a pair of trainers and a couple of ties, but I do generally buy quite a lot of clothes. I generally start at TK Maxx for some cheap deals on designer stuff but I'm not really a label-whore. I do have far too many clothes though, probably more than my girlfriend.

I wasn't aware that shoes came in different widths, I'm sure they just have different length sizes over here. Being a UK size 10 makes it hilariously easy for me to buy shoes as that seems to be fairly average, shops always carry a ten.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2011, 06:26 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2011, 11:26 AM #11 of 20
I only shop in charity shops for clothes these days because I couldn't give two shits about exclusive designer labels and because I'm not the only beneficiary that way. At the tail end of last year I snagged two gorgeous evening dresses for £7 - everyone's a fucking winner. The only problem is that I hate clothes shopping so I usually just grab whatever will do even if I don't particularly like it, so I have a love/hate relationship with my wardrobe. I'm vowing to cut that the fuck out. As for shoes it can be a bastard looking for ones that fit exactly because I'm a 5 1/2.

How ya doing, buddy?
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:11 AM #12 of 20
I buy new clothes every now and then. Honestly, it's usually some dumb shirt from Target. Last one I got was a brown shirt with Domo-kun on it with a mustache, and it says "Domo" underneath it. I liked it, so I bought it. I'll also pick up a button-up shirt from there every so often, too. ...A decent amount of my stuff comes from Target--probably just because it's right next to my workplace and opens when I get off work, so that's kinda convenient.

When it comes to what brands I buy, I stick to whatever works. For instance, pens. I have been using the same cheapo Bic "Velocity" pen for probably a year+. When I realized it will someday die on me, I looked for another pack of them and they don't make them the same. It's some funky new type, and they suck.

And my favorite type of shoe was Airwalk. They were comfy and lasted forever. Well, obviously not forever cause eventually mine wore out and I was left with having to find a new brand. Airwalk still makes shoes and all, but they're mostly all retarded-ugly.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:03 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2011, 03:03 PM #13 of 20
I don't really buy clothes that often, but I realize every year that my clothing stock has gone up significantly. Usually when I'm home on breaks my parents subsidize clothes...

My only purchases this school year have been a pair of APC New Standards, a pair of dunks, and a flannel shirt from American Apparel.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:02 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2011, 11:02 AM #14 of 20
I buy clothes once or twice a year on average. I have clothes in my closet that nearly have 10+ years on them that I still wear on occasion. Those would be the $80~100+ Ralph Lauren sweaters/jackets I my mom bought at Nordstorm's because they don't really ever go out of style. Once every 3 years or so, I'll rummage through my closet and see what can be sold for a buck each in a garage sale. If it's beyond sellable condition (sleeves too frayed or what not), it goes to Goodwill.

I've racked up a lot of Express clothing while I used to work there (thank goodness for retail employee discounts!), so now when I feel I need a new line to wear, it's because the clothes I bought 2~3 years ago are finally "not in fashion" any more. I try to buy things that would still be "in" for another year or two down the line.

One general rule of thumb I follow: if the grannies and middle school kids are starting to wear it, it's time for that style to die and move on to the next. I hate, hate, hate, HATE shopping in general, so I try to limit that experience to once/twice a year and buy a couple outfits that can be mixed with what I already have to create a new look. Shoes? Fuck. I don't bother going in if the store carries only a size 6 as their smallest size.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Shorty; Feb 17, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:31 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2011, 05:31 PM #15 of 20
I never really make a special shopping trip for clothes, just if I'm out and about I might pop in and get something. Most of my clothes are pretty cheap and I don't normally bother with brands either.

Shoes are a pain though, I need 10 1/2s and a lot of places don't seem to do half sizes any more so I usually have to keep getting them from the same shop. For trainers though I get 11s that fit and that's much easier, if I got size 11 shoes they'd be way too big.

Oh, and I don't throw old clothes away often. They usually either end up at the bottom of the wardrobe or just something to lounge around the house in when I don't want to wear it to go out any more.

FELIPE NO
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:13 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2011, 01:43 PM #16 of 20
I usually go clothes shopping about twice a year. When I was working out in Alberta I had to buy a couple of pairs of work jeans every 6 months with how much punishment they use to take.

I'm not usually one for shoes though. I only own a pair of shoes, a pair of work boots, and two pairs of winter boots and that's about it. I definitely need to make time to eventually buy some casual or dress foot wear.

The majority of the clothes I buy from Wal-Mart (YEAH I SAID IT!!!!!!!!).

I guess I'm just at that age I don't care about style or price anymore. I just wear whatever is comfortable and at a good price. I've kind of adopted the whole jeans and short sleeve plaid or striped buttoned shirt look. Its kind of funny because I said when I was younger I would never be wearing plaid but its one of favorite types of shirts.

I guess I'm looking more like the blue collar worker every day. I only own about two sets of semi formal clothes. I think the only thing i spend quite a lot of money on are my leather jackets. I own two leather jackets right now and usually buy a new one once every 3 to 4 years.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2011, 07:33 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2011, 05:33 PM #17 of 20
And my favorite type of shoe was Airwalk. They were comfy and lasted forever. Well, obviously not forever cause eventually mine wore out and I was left with having to find a new brand. Airwalk still makes shoes and all, but they're mostly all retarded-ugly.
Quoted for truth.

Anybody here ever bought clothes off of eBay? I have a hard time finding things I like at the thrift stores, and I'm really cheap when it comes to clothes, so I've gotten a number of things (usually shoes) out of eBay... but it's kind of hit and miss because people suck at reading size labels, apparently.

Rangel
Not as new as he looks

Member 1986

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:40 AM #18 of 20
When I worked at JCPenny, I used to get my clothes exclusively from there. The 20% discount on all items was a little too much not to pass up. I’m not one to care about brands, as I am more willing to wear a dress shirt or a pollo or some pearl snap shirts. Yes, I also wear skinny jeans. Don’t judge me.

However, now that I left JCPenny for the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, I stick solely to Amvets, Salvation Army, Goodwill. I have found some pretty awesome shirts and sweaters and even sports jackets and dress shirts at these places.

As for E-bay, I have bought the occasional shirt and tie and shoes there too – It’s a little more risky because, like you said, you never know if the size is going to be correct as it is labeled on the web site. But when you do it right you can score some pretty good deals.

Last edited by Rangel; Mar 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:55 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2011, 02:55 PM #19 of 20
My mom has worked at JCPenny for the past....16 years? Yeah, you can't imagine the amount of free/practically free shit she brings home and has thrown at me over the years.

JCPenney actually has some really good clothes. I am just now wearing out the last of some of the shit she bought me in high school (that'd be 8 years ago, at least.)
My Arizona brand jeans last infinitely longer than any Levi's I buy, which rip after 9 months to a year, usually.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2011, 06:07 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2011, 12:07 AM #20 of 20
I hate shopping for clothes. I tend to just find some basic, simple items that fit me and then bulk buy. For example I have four pairs of the same jeans, and about a dozen identical black t shirts. I also have two pairs of the same trainers. The rest of my wardrobe follows basically similar lines. I picked out a style that doesn't make me look like a refugee and I'm sticking with it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Time to go shopping!