Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:00 AM #1226 of 3592
Quote:
SOLDIER, take what I put near the trailer to heart. The screens don't do it justice.
Saying that isn't going to make the download run any faster.

I'm willing to settle for the $500 model myself, but one question would clinch it for me; will you be able to attach any HD you want? If that was the case, then I could easily wait until Office Max runs one of their usual specials and purchase a 100GB Maxtor for just 20 bucks. And I have an ethernet adaptor for my PS2, so I don't require the built-in wifi either.

Also, I checked with my Gamestop yesterday, and they claim that PS3/Wii preorders should start in early October, as Southjag mentioned before.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:04 AM #1227 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Saying that isn't going to make the download run any faster.
If it helps any, I'm going to be posting more screenshots at the tail end of this post.

Quote:
I'm willing to settle for the $500 model myself, but one question would clinch it for me; will you be able to attach any HD you want? If that was the case, then I could easily wait until Office Max runs one of their usual specials and purchase a 100GB Maxtor for just 20 bucks. And I have an ethernet adaptor for my PS2, so I don't require the built-in wifi either.
Yes, both models have HDD bays on the bottom for removable HDDs.

Quote:
Also, I checked with my Gamestop yesterday, and they claim that PS3/Wii preorders should start in early October, as Southjag mentioned before.
Heh, gonna spring on that real nice... Well, here's the screenshots!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:07 AM #1228 of 3592
Quote:
Yes, both models have HDD bays on the bottom for removable HDDs.
Resplendant. $100 saved then, good towards launch games and/or the Wii.

It's very clear at this point that the console war between Nintendo and Sony is going to be one of Form vs Function. Nintendo will delight with quirky games that will make use of the remote, while Sony will astonish with visuals that truly replicate the kind of CG imagery commonplace in movies.

It's a good thing we can enjoy the best of both worlds. It's the dawning of a brave new world.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Soldier; Sep 22, 2006 at 03:09 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:15 AM #1229 of 3592
Resplendant. $100 saved then, good towards launch games and/or the Wii.

It's very clear at this point that the console war between Nintendo and Sony is going to be one of Form vs Function. Nintendo will delight with quirky games that will make use of the remote, while Sony will astonish with visuals that truly replicate the kind of CG imagery commonplace in movies.

It's a good thing we can enjoy the best of both worlds. It's the dawning of a brave new world.
Well, let's keep on eys on the prize, shall we? I don't this to turn into a PS3 vs Wii brawl when the best solution is to have both.

Anyways, for those of you worrying about an HDMI cable for the $500 model (or $600 model), just go to Monoprice.com and you can get loads of Home Theater stuff there for cheap. They sell in individual pieces (cheap) or in bulk (cheaper) and the quality of their products is top-notch.

Oh and Congratulations PS3 thread for reaching 50 pages.

I was speaking idiomatically.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:29 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 03:29 AM #1230 of 3592
It's great to see Level-5 moving in a 3D direction, but still I wonder what effects PS3 hardware would have on cel-shading, Level-5's thus far preferred graphical method. Those screens are amazing though -- I can't believe how far they're already gotten.

I'm gonna have to check out the new Warhawk trailer. If it's making Skills consider a PS3, it's gotta be worth seeing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:38 AM #1231 of 3592
Just finished watching the trailer, and boy did it live up to the hype. I like how it lets you know from the start that everything is in-game footage, without any camera editing or other manipulations (sorry, Kojima). Well, the last scene with the hero transforming was likely manipulated to give the trailer a dramatic ending, but I digress.

The only thing I wish for in the final version is blood and scratch details when characters get hit. Then it will truly be impossible to tell the difference between this and pre-rendered CG.

Square no longer has the best looking RPG for PS3 at the moment. Of course I'll be happy to have them prove me wrong with a new FFXIII trailer.

Most amazing jew boots
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:42 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 12:42 AM #1232 of 3592
Sony just sold me a PS3 with White Knight Story. Level 5 has easily become my most watched game developer and they just get better with every game they make.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:46 AM #1233 of 3592
You bastards are robbing my post ideas. One thing that they may want to fix is the attacks in battle. They looked like they lacked any sort of power or force behind them. TTP nails it with Link's slashes. It's not really a critique, just make the attacks a tad bit more violent. BTW, Lost Odyssey is unbelievably close to being CG, yet it's realtime.

Hopefully this lights a fire under SE's ass to make FFXIII exceptional.

How ya doing, buddy?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:56 AM #1234 of 3592
Quote:
One thing that they may want to fix is the attacks in battle. They looked like they lacked any sort of power or force behind them.
You mean they looked like normal, human battles (minus the airborne special attack and the henshin Knight), which is a good thing. Not every RPG hero can fly a thousand feet in the air while slicing entire buildings in half.

And Lost Odyssey was decent, but didn't carry over the transition from FMV to realtime very well. The worst part was watching the ingame battles, where the main guy slashes at thin air instead of the enemy, followed by numbers indicating damage. Going for that classic RPG feel? Nope, just laziness.

Well I'm out for the night. Keep the thread updated, guys, I hope to wake up to even more good news.

Most amazing jew boots
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:59 AM #1235 of 3592
I don't think SE has anything to worry about cause these 2 pics look better then LO and White Knight: http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...2015413287.jpg
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...1093409583.jpg
and it still has over a year left of development.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 04:01 AM #1236 of 3592
You mean they looked like normal, human battles (minus the airborne special attack and the henshin Knight), which is a good thing. Not every RPG hero can fly a thousand feet in the air while slicing entire buildings in half.
Nah just a little more force in the blow, have an animation the the character taking a heavy step or some action indicating exertion.

Quote:
And Lost Odyssey was decent, but didn't carry over the transition from FMV to realtime very well. The worst part was watching the ingame battles, where the main guy slashes at thin air instead of the enemy, followed by numbers indicating damage. Going for that classic RPG feel? Nope, just laziness.
It's got time to grow, like FFXIII and White Knight Story.

Quote:
Well I'm out for the night. Keep the thread updated, guys, I hope to wake up to even more good news.
Night.

Oh and for those of you still awake, here's pictures of GT4:HD.

Let me explain. GT4:HD is simply GT4 with HD assets, tracks, cars. The problem is, you have to buy cars through microtransactions. You buy the game with 0 cars present.

GT4: Premium is basically GT5: Prologue. Assets built from the ground up for the PS3 and it shows. The following screenshots are of GT4:HD.

How ya doing, buddy?

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 04:02 AM #1237 of 3592
Also btw LO is 80% complete, White Knight is 70% but FFXIII still has a year left. Still all 3 look amazing!

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 04:08 AM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 03:08 AM #1238 of 3592
Nice, the cars and environments look almost photo realistic. Especially the shot from the rear.

Also I stumbled upon a couple pics of Ridge Racers 2. And the one that really caught my eye was Reiko (I assume it's her), she almost looks like a real Japanese girl...

http://ruliweb.dreamwiz.com/data/pre...num=534&left=b

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 04:35 AM #1239 of 3592
Have a look athe the boxart for GT:HD (and a look at the format of the cases, no less):

The PS3 strip widely criticized has been thinned out considerably and pushed more towards the spine. The case is shorter and thinner than DVD cases. Overall, it looks nice. Hopefully that transparent case look won't stick.

FELIPE NO

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 06:47 AM #1240 of 3592
sweet! wow all those screen shot are amazing, White knights and Ninja Gaiden are the oen that catch my attention ^^

and I like the transparent case, like they are doing with the psp case, it's nice to have a great cover and open the case to see abother wonderful "inside cover art" in it (look at Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth cover) well at least it's better then that ugly cover with the big blue thing on top of it...

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 08:33 AM #1241 of 3592
I don't give a damn about GT4, but White Knight has given me genuine interest in the PS3. It would be truly magical if those screens became reality and the gameplay matches even half of what those screens are showing me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 08:45 AM #1242 of 3592
those screens are pretty much gameplay, the entire trailer is. WATCH IT NOW DUDE it's really good.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:21 AM #1243 of 3592
Err, the White Knight trailer is all gameplay folks, just so you know. Level 5's been working on it for a good bit, since reportedly it's 70% complete.

FFXIII BTW, the shots below are all realtime. This has been confirmed by many at the event, along with the new locales shown in the trailer.

Originally Posted by IGN
The trailer for FFXIII was essentially a remixed version of the E3 trailer, with added scenes to show off more gameplay. The trailer started off in a speeding train much like the E3 trailer, but quickly shifted to other locations, such as a populated city. The trailer also showed how the heroine is able to move with such accuracy and speed; she uses a special device that allows her to literally levitate when she's not moving, and it also lets her move faster than normal. This might make sense in battles; the game still uses menu-driven combat, and it's possible that while making decisions on what to do, the game will go into slow motion a la The Matrix while it waits for your commands. The trailer ended in the same fashion as the E3 original, with our heroine squaring off against a giant monster. Overall it was a cool trailer, but there wasn't a lot of footage that suggested how the game is going to be played.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 22, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:00 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 10:00 AM #1244 of 3592
How much does a setup cost nowadays that lets you see graphics like this?

Because I'm guessing the PS3 will look pretty similar to the ultra-smooth games (like Ace Combat/Ratchet & Clank) on my 15 year old CRT, how much of a real boost can I expect when playing?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:13 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 09:13 AM #1245 of 3592
Originally Posted by RacinReaver
How much does a setup cost nowadays that lets you see graphics like this?

Because I'm guessing the PS3 will look pretty similar to the ultra-smooth games (like Ace Combat/Ratchet & Clank) on my 15 year old CRT, how much of a real boost can I expect when playing?
Well a good quality, 30ish inch LCD HDTV runs at about $900 at the moment where lower quality screens can be found for about $600. A large price drop on HDTVs is expected this year around Christmas time as well.

Another option is LCD monitors. You can get a 20-inch widescreen from Dell for about $370 and can pick up a HDMI-to-DVI cable for ~$10.

As for getting an idea on the boost in quality, play a modern PC game at 640x480 resolution then kick it up to 1280x1024. That's pretty much the difference in quality between a SD and HD signal.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:18 PM Local time: Sep 22, 2006, 10:18 AM #1246 of 3592
I'm asking about the quality improvement from a PS2 to PS3 on an older CRT, not to new technologies (I've seen that plenty whenever I walk into my local Best Buy).

Heh, and it's a shame I bought my LCD display back when they were pretty expensive. I had a really tiny-ass dorm room and wanted enough space on my desk to put both my keyboard, monitor, and a textbook, so I forked out $450 for a really nice 17" Dell monitor (it was a steal at the time, too!). The monitor's still looking beautiful, so I doubt I'll want to replace it any time soon, and there's no way I'm going to be able to drop $600 on a new TV, so I guess I'm stuck with old technology for another generation.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:19 PM #1247 of 3592
Doesn't look like I've missed much so far. Any word when we'll be getting anymore news? The show runs until tommorow, right?

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:21 PM #1248 of 3592
Ok, here's some more news guys. While it may not interest some, or most of you, Ridge Racer 7 is also running at 1080p at 60fps. If you want proof, here it is running on Sony's new (and ridiculously expensive) XBR2s:

BTW, I can't wait for Ace Combat 06. I wouldn't surprised if it looks startlingly photorealistic.

RR7 TGS trailer (looking a bit better than RR6):
http://www.playsyde.com/leech_3051_1_en.html

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 26, 2006 at 06:18 PM.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:22 PM #1249 of 3592
Jesus Christ. That setup must cost an arm and a leg....XBR2?!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:25 PM #1250 of 3592
Yes, XBR2. XBR1 was last year's SXRD sets. RXBR is the Premium SXRD sets for this year and XBR2 are the top of the line (flat out gorgeous styling and picture) LCDs.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread