Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

GUN DEBATE

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:05 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 12:05 PM #51 of 125
We shouldn't be treating millions of adults like children because a statistically insignificant number of people don't use or store their firearms safely.
There wasn't a significant number of dumbfucks dying in their bathtubs while using their hairdryer either yet, it's mandated by law to have the WARNING TAG on the power chord.

Personally, I think the tag should be removed for the sake of natural selection. You do the math and see where I stand on the gun issue.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:15 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 02:15 PM #52 of 125
But think of all that wasted electricity.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:18 PM #53 of 125
This is because gun collections are paradoxically more likely to make one a target for home invasion, and guns stolen from private collections are a significant source of illegally circulated weapons.
It only seems "paradoxical" if you buy into the quasi-magical notion that guns emit an anti-crime radiation (as many here seem to). Practical thinking leads us directly to the obvious conclusion that guns are worth a lot of money on the gray market, of course they will be routinely stolen. It's not like they jump out of the display cases and shoot the criminals automatically.

People keep treating these things as some kind of goddamn Living Embodiment Of My Constitutional Rights!!! instead of an object.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:22 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 12:22 PM #54 of 125
It only seems "paradoxical" if you buy into the quasi-magical notion that guns emit an anti-crime radiation (as many here seem to).
But they don't! The bullets do. Plus, if it's that much of a concern, you can always buy a sound-and-flash suppressor. Make sure your firearm is capable of sporting such a device!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:30 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 01:30 PM #55 of 125
If that's genuinely your opinion, I assume you're against the international community trying to stop Iran building nuclear enrichment plants? Why shouldn't they be allowed to produce nuclear power when it's only the crazy people in power who'd want to make atomic bombs with the leftovers after all.
Again, the issue is one regarding the individual liberties of US citizens. Issues of state soverignty in relation to nuclear programs are probably better suited for another thread.

Originally Posted by Pang
You have misunderstood my argument, such as it is, rather thoroughly. The notion of engaging in "safe practice" with a tool designed to ventilate someone's liver is a bit amusing, though. Whom are we practicing on, exactly? The dog?
To clarify, by safe practice, I mean practicing in the same way that you'd practice safe driving habits, practice safe sex, or in this case gun safety.

FELIPE NO
LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 02:59 PM #56 of 125
If a teenager can bribe someone to purchase something in his stead, I'm fairly sure a lunatic can.
i'll go ahead and say lunatics will probably have a much harder time

you know

because guns are registered, usually

and taking mental tests is harder than flashing a driver's license

there's probably a lot more paperwork involved than when buying a 12 pack, so yeah, generally harder

Quote:
It only seems "paradoxical" if you buy into the quasi-magical notion that guns emit an anti-crime radiation (as many here seem to).
Do you think it's paradoxical that a gun ban doesn't eliminate all violent crime?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:00 PM 2 #57 of 125
These analogies do not hold up so well, Meth. Their core functions are incompatible.

You see, the function of a car, the reason people purport to need one, is travel. It is indeed possible to use a car in this fashion safely. There are other ways to use a car, but this is the core use. If a car was built that did everything that a normal car does except accelerate your travels, no one would buy it.

The function of a gun is to put new windows in a structurally-sound person. It is not possible to use a gun in this fashion safely; by definition if the gun is used in this fashion someone has been hurt. There are other ways to use a gun, but this is the core use. If a gun was released that did everything a normal gun does except shoot bullets into people, no one would buy it.*

When people talk about "safe driving" what they generally mean is usage of the item's core function (accelerated travel) with the hope of absolutely minimizing injury or harm to the driver or other drivers.

When people talk about "safe gun ownership" what they generally mean is preventing the item's core function from engaging, by keeping the weapon unloaded, locked up, et cetera. A safe gun owner wants to prevent people from getting shot, or to make the gun useless.

You can't just treat a gun as a piece of property like any other for this reason. Either you're just looking at it (it's useless) or somebody's badly hurt (it's useful). Maybe there are other items like this but none are coming to mind. You can fuck somebody up pretty badly with a cricket bat but that's not why cricket bats exist.

*with some exceptions vis-a-vis hunting, but do you think the gun lobby would accept a ban on everything but hunting rifles? Also, when I say "no one" this obviously excludes collectors, which are in a class of lunacy all their own.

there's probably a lot more paperwork involved than when buying a 12 pack, so yeah, generally harder

Do you think it's paradoxical that a gun ban doesn't eliminate all violent crime?

If you think "paperwork" keeps a determined asshole from doing whatever the hell he's decided to do I expect you don't watch the news too often. Here, let me lay it out for you. You have a gun. I am a criminal who does not object to killing someone to get what I want. Now I have a gun!

At any rate gun bans obviously don't eliminate violent crimes. Mostly people just resort to stabbing each other. But the class of crimes you can accomplish with knives is significantly smaller. I can't see anyone holding up a bank with a machete exactly.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jun 27, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
LZ
What I'm out for is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.

Member 71

Level 19.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:19 PM #58 of 125
Here, let me lay it out for you. You have a gun. I am a criminal who does not object to killing someone to get what I want.
wait man let me stop you here! this is the part where I shoot you for breaking into my house ok go
Quote:
Now I have a gun am a dead loser!
No, it won't go that way all the time, but paperwork and bureaucracy is sort of necessary to make sure guns make it into capable hands. In the situation you gave, at least the good guy has a chance to protect himself.

Quote:
At any rate gun bans obviously don't eliminate violent crimes. Mostly people just resort to stabbing each other.
If you think "gun bans" keep a determined asshole from getting a gun, then you're the one who needs to watch the news!
Quote:
But the class of crimes you can accomplish with knives is significantly smaller. I can't see anyone holding up a bank with a machete exactly.
No, but how about them breaking into someone's house?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:21 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 03:21 PM #59 of 125
At any rate gun bans obviously don't eliminate violent crimes. Mostly people just resort to stabbing each other. But the class of crimes you can accomplish with knives is significantly smaller. I can't see anyone holding up a bank with a machete exactly.
I guess you could hold up a bank with homemade bombs.

Guns aren't useless if they don't hurt anybody, your own example of the bank robbery is indicative of the deterrent factor. Some people get shot during bank robberies but most of the time they don't and I'd hardly think the robber considers his gun useless because nobody was perforated. Hell, you don't even need a real gun for deterrent, which is a significant cause of gun crime in Britain. You could even use an airsoft gun in a robbery (doesn't shoot bullets).

The same principle applies to all other uses, legal or otherwise. If I can deter somebody from committing an assault or robbery without firing a single shot that's the best possible outcome.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:37 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 02:37 PM #60 of 125
Originally Posted by Pang
The function of a gun is to put new windows in a structurally-sound person. It is not possible to use a gun in this fashion safely; by definition if the gun is used in this fashion someone has been hurt. There are other ways to use a gun, but this is the core use. If a gun was released that did everything a normal gun does except shoot bullets into people, no one would buy it.*

When people talk about "safe gun ownership" what they generally mean is preventing the item's core function from engaging, by keeping the weapon unloaded, locked up, et cetera. A safe gun owner wants to prevent people from getting shot, or to make the gun useless.

*with some exceptions vis-a-vis hunting, but do you think the gun lobby would accept a ban on everything but hunting rifles? Also, when I say "no one" this obviously excludes collectors, which are in a class of lunacy all their own.
The function of a gun is to fire a projectile. The target is reliant upon the user and their motivation. Why all the demonizing? As you said earlier, it's just an object. Gun safety is practiced not to prevent the core function from engaging, but to help insure control when the function is engaged and prevent accidents.

Some people keep pistols not only for personal protection, but also for competitive shooting and recreation, and as you mentioned, collecting. Clue me in on why this seems crazy.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:45 PM #61 of 125
wait man let me stop you here! this is the part where I shoot you for breaking into my house
Yes, because I went up to your bedroom, woke you up, announced my intentions, handed you the gun I already took out of your cabinet, stood against the wall, and held up a dartboard in front of my chest. Best of luck with that scenario.

It's entirely possible you're awake 24/7 and never leave the house but this is not probably the most common example.

Originally Posted by Meth
competitive shooting and recreation, and as you mentioned, collecting
"Competitive shooting". Explain to me why you need anything more than a paint gun for this. Or, hell, a crossbow. Darts. A rubberband and paperclip. Spitwads. In the world of "gosh let's see which of us can point at something" there are many options that hardly ever blow off somebody's thumb.

As for collecting I don't see why "GUYS LOOK: I HAVE A LOT OF SOMETHING" isn't a little silly. When I was about 7, maybe 8, I collected baseball cards. And then I said to myself: "Self, these things are fucking worthless".

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jun 27, 2008 at 03:50 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:10 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 04:10 PM #62 of 125
It'd probably be best if everybody stopped fantasizing about what could go right or wrong. Paranoia isn't going to get us anywhere, and paranoid fantasies should not be the basis of policy.

The fact is that guns have deterred crime. Guns have also made people the target of crime. Guns can save lives and also be completely useless. The core of this debate concerns cultural values, and the political reality is that despite the majority of Americans who do not mind gun control, the few that care about it are the only ones who consider it a voting issue.

So I guess Americans just love guns FUCK YEAH

YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH

YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH

YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:49 PM #63 of 125
more like
YouTube Video

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 05:01 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 05:01 PM #64 of 125
Originally Posted by lordphoenix71
For my critics, see the shirt.
owned

Most amazing jew boots
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:59 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 06:59 PM #65 of 125
"Competitive shooting". Explain to me why you need anything more than a paint gun for this. Or, hell, a crossbow. Darts. A rubberband and paperclip. Spitwads. In the world of "gosh let's see which of us can point at something" there are many options that hardly ever blow off somebody's thumb.

As for collecting I don't see why "GUYS LOOK: I HAVE A LOT OF SOMETHING" isn't a little silly. When I was about 7, maybe 8, I collected baseball cards. And then I said to myself: "Self, these things are fucking worthless".
Ok, within competitive shooting participants use both rifles and pistols in a variety of calibers. Paint guns aren't anywhere near as accurate as real guns over long distances. And yes, they have competitive crossbow shooting and darts. But as you can imagine, it isn't quite the same. Your statement is about as silly as telling a formula 1 driver that he should stick to go-karts, tricycle races, or pony rides. You really should try going to a gun range if you have access. Not to march around all macho, but to give it a go for the sport and get some firsthand education on the subject instead of immediately writing it off because it involves scary weapons. You'll find that it's not quite as simple, or barbaric as you might think.

And just cause you decided that your baseball collection sucked, doesn't mean that other people don't enjoy collecting things (guns included).

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:28 PM #66 of 125
I'm not saying they don't enjoy it. People enjoy a lot of terrible things. NASCAR. Hot Pockets. Everybody Loves Raymond.

I'm not writing anything off because it's "scary" but because it's conceptually boring. People taking turns pointing at things. It's not an objection to guns precisely, I have the same attitude toward, say, a free-throw contest. "Sports" where nobody's actually interacting.

Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:43 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2008, 09:43 PM #67 of 125
Freud was also a quack. You could've chosen a much better example.
Maybe, but I don't really think any Brit is going to look kindly on a person who helped perpetrate the "events of 1776".

Plus, I'm a big fan of Xenogears. Freud rocked his shit off in that game. Uhh spoiler alert?

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:32 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2008, 01:32 PM #68 of 125
It is interesting to see that the Vehicle Theft rate was significantly high in 1995 and 1996. It appears to me that this was because everyone wanted to go to Atlanta for the Olympic Games.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:48 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2008, 04:48 PM #69 of 125
It'd probably be best if everybody stopped fantasizing about what could go right or wrong. Paranoia isn't going to get us anywhere, and paranoid fantasies should not be the basis of policy.

The fact is that guns have deterred crime. Guns have also made people the target of crime. Guns can save lives and also be completely useless. The core of this debate concerns cultural values, and the political reality is that despite the majority of Americans who do not mind gun control, the few that care about it are the only ones who consider it a voting issue.

So I guess Americans just love guns FUCK YEAH

YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH

YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH

YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH
YouTube Video

FUCK YEAH

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:54 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2008, 10:54 AM 2 #70 of 125
Look all I'm saying is that it's their fault they didn't arm themselves

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:52 PM #71 of 125
Columbine was caused by videogames everyone knows that by now

John Romero made Columbine his bitch

FELIPE NO
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:53 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 10:53 PM #72 of 125
This is the calibre of criminal who burgles for your Panasonic, Meth:

YouTube Video

From the case sample we can already see formidable offensive capacity, depth perception capabilities and hand-eye (crucial)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:54 PM 1 #73 of 125
A perfect opportunity for the use of "Smooth Criminal" completely squandered

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:21 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2008, 10:21 PM 1 #74 of 125
Ain't that the truth.

Are you OK؟

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
killerpineapple
Chocobo

Member 18440

Level 10.84

Jan 2007

Old Jul 2, 2008, 03:50 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2008, 01:50 AM #75 of 125
I heard that Columbine was linked to bowling. Well, at least more so than video games or music.

I support the right to own firearms, but have zero desire to do so myself. Outlawing firearms, as many people already stated, just means that you'll have to get it illegally. Perhaps a little more difficult, but does anybody really get stressed about marijuana being illegal?

After seeing Michael Moore's film, the United States is certainly a special case when it comes to gun violence. "Bowling for Colombine" didn't provide any conclusive findings, but it did point out distinctive societal differences that might be at the heart of the problem in this country.

The other thing I just learned, most gun deaths in the U.S. are from suicides. What's up with that?

I must say that I find it difficult to defend gun ownership on the grounds of crime prevention. The odds of a gun being used this way are slim and the consequences of misuse are extreme even if unlikely. But what if I was living in the heart of the L.A. riots. What if I was a store owner being threated with knife or um...a palm frond? What if I saw a rabid dog in my neighborhood? I think these are pretty reasonable situations. Not enough so that I feel compelled to own a firearm, but enough so that I can understand why someone else would.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > GUN DEBATE