Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Prince of Persia - Bruckheimer/Disney/Gyllenhaal

Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 04:37 PM #1 of 30
Prince of Persia - Bruckheimer/Disney/Gyllenhaal

Jake Gyllenhaal crowned 'Prince of Persia'

Quote:
Jake Gyllenhaal and Gemma Arterton will star in "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," Walt Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films' adaptation of Ubisoft's popular video game. Mike Newell is directing.
Hope? This movie has good interpretive potential. Newell's a capable director and certainly capable of keeping the vision. With Bruckheimer/Disney combo, there's a good financial backing. It's early and not much to speculate, but this could actually... not suck?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 05:16 PM Local time: May 20, 2008, 04:16 PM #2 of 30
Yeah, when I think Persian, Jake Gylenhaal is the first name that springs to mind. Oh yeah.

And I guess you never saw the second and third Pirates movies, then? Bruckheimer is not necessarily a good thing.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 05:29 PM #3 of 30
There aren't enough big-budget movies about time travel, so I say bring it on.

I'm wondering if he'll have the English accent like the Prince did in the games though.
And I wonder if he'll constantly die and reanimate himself like the typical gamer had to after being blindsided by a trap or a lousy jump.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 05:32 PM 1 #4 of 30
Yeah, when I think Persian, Jake Gylenhaal is the first name that springs to mind. Oh yeah.

And I guess you never saw the second and third Pirates movies, then? Bruckheimer is not necessarily a good thing.
It's one of those "I know, right?" moments. I'm worried about his versatility: kind of a big deal. In regards to Bruckheimer, I was referring strictly to the studio backing. As I recall, Newell didn't have any involvement with Verbinski's films.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 06:36 PM #5 of 30
As long as we get to witness Jake Gyllenhaal eviscerated by metal jaw doors...

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Dopefish; May 20, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2008, 06:44 PM Local time: May 20, 2008, 05:44 PM 1 #6 of 30
I'm expecting this to turn out like the Resident Evil series...not that bad, but not that great, but still enough of a moneymaker to spawn a few sequels.

Wonder if they'll make Jake get that goofy haircut.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2008, 05:36 PM #7 of 30
Ever since Jarhead I really liked Jake so I'll most likely check this out!

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2008, 06:17 PM Local time: May 21, 2008, 04:17 PM #8 of 30
Bruckheimer seemed decent enough with historical and action films, and Sands of Time has a pretty small cast, so the problem that came with Pirates 2 & 3 won't probably rear itself here.

Jake though? I don't know, he seems like a capable actor, but I was hoping a real Persian might get the role. You know, add some authenticity. I guess though the thinking at the studios was that they needed a familiar name headlining the film to draw audiences.

One thing that has me simultaneously relieved and worried is that the initial script-writer is Jordan Mechner, who did work on the games themselves, but also did work for Polar Express. =\

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old May 22, 2008, 04:06 AM Local time: May 22, 2008, 10:06 AM #9 of 30
Phew, it's just Gyllenhaal, for a second, I thought they would take Robert Downey Jr. again.
I dunno, but I think that Prince of Persia CAN be good material for a movie. I'm just glad that they chose Mike Newell and not, well, you know, Bruckheimer's favorite director (whatever...)

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 07:10 AM Local time: May 23, 2008, 01:10 PM #10 of 30
Bruckheimer seemed decent enough with historical and action films,
Bruckheimer makes awesome action films, mainly because the US army and air force love him for his promotional work (Pretty much all Bruckheimer's military based films are none too subtle recruitment ads) and will lend him any hardware he wants. I can't imagine there'll be much call for Blackhawk helicopters in a Prince fo Persia film though.

Originally Posted by Dark Nation
I was hoping a real Persian might get the role.
To be a real Persian, you'd have to be 73 years old. Any younger and you'd have been born in Iran, not Persia. Also, how many Iranian actors can you name who'd fit the role?

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2008, 12:23 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 10:23 AM #11 of 30
Bruckheimer makes awesome action films, mainly because the US army and air force love him for his promotional work (Pretty much all Bruckheimer's military based films are none too subtle recruitment ads) and will lend him any hardware he wants. I can't imagine there'll be much call for Blackhawk helicopters in a Prince of Persia film though.
Probably not, but I imagine some high speed chariot racing as featured in the third game, and large armies would also entail a lot of action sequences (IIRC, in the first game, the Prince comes home to see his home-city under siege, or maybe it was the third game? I'm not sure).

Quote:
To be a real Persian, you'd have to be 73 years old. Any younger and you'd have been born in Iran, not Persia. Also, how many Iranian actors can you name who'd fit the role?
Well, umm, that's what I meant. I thought it was common knowledge that Iranian = Persian, as far as ethnicity goes. The name of the place may have changed, but the people have err... remained as they are: Persian / Iranian, but I understand what you're getting at.

As far as an Iranian actor, I can only name one, but a good one: David K. Zandi. He's not only a starting-out actor, but he's an honest to god real life prince. Sure, he only did a couple small roles, but we have authenticity! Plus, David has also studied both fencing and Roman sword fighting in England. Choreography time gets cut in half! I mean, sure, Jake Gyllenhall is a familiar name, but unknown name actors who've only done small roles like Mr. Zandi here as an example, can pull off surprising developments.

But oh well, die has been cast, announcements have been made, and so forth.

Last edited by Dark Nation; May 23, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Tagonist
The Age of Legends

Member 22583

Level 14.69

May 2007

Old May 23, 2008, 03:15 PM Local time: May 23, 2008, 10:15 PM #12 of 30
Maybe they're hoping Jake will become for the PoP franchise what Jonny Depp became for the PotC franchise. A sort of figurehead to pull the whole thing together.
I somewhat doubt it. No matter how good Gyllenhaal actually is (and it doesn't help that my first reaction was "Donnie Darko is the Prince of Persia... Err...").

These are the Books of Harrow
They are our doom and our salvation
Learn from them, or we will all perish
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:08 AM #13 of 30
Bump after a year +

May 28th 2010

YouTube - Prince of Persia The Sands of Time Trailer - Official HD 2010 (embedding disabled, booo)

Movie looks... really good actually

I was speaking idiomatically.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:17 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2009, 11:17 AM #14 of 30
I like it, looks really good. I don't like that they took the Warrior Within outfit and hand corruption from Two Thrones. So long as they don't put the dark prince silliness in there, it's fine. I'm really looking forward to this~

Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Nov 3, 2009, 05:24 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2009, 11:24 AM #15 of 30
Not as bad as it could have been, I must admit. Looks like it'll be a fun summer film and (sadly) probably one of the better adaptations of a video game to date.

Most amazing jew boots
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:38 AM 1 #16 of 30
There better be wall running. Just sayin'.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2009, 12:01 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2009, 07:01 PM #17 of 30
Looks like shit, Prince of Persia and no one looks exotic or oriental. Looks like a stupid theater play.

Pretty cgi though.

no homo
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:14 PM #18 of 30
Was the Prince in the game really that much exotic or oriental?

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2009, 08:34 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2009, 07:34 PM #19 of 30
Was the Prince in the game really that much exotic or oriental?
He was Nolan North, a doughy white guy.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2009, 01:34 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2009, 09:34 AM 1 #20 of 30
I'm.. going to pretend Deni has at least imagined playing the game this movie is based on.

Yuri Lowenthal was no more persian, though, as much as I love him. Neither was Robin Atkin Downes from Warrior Within.

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:09 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2009, 04:09 PM #21 of 30
Based on the trailer, it doesn't seem like an adaptation at all? Is this guy even a prince of Persia? His love interest certainly doesn't seem Indian, and appears to have a name other than Farrah.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:30 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2009, 11:30 AM #22 of 30
Well, the Prince is now named Dastan or something, so obviously it's a "new" story with a new set of characters, that most likely combines elements from Sands of Time (the dagger, the vizier), Warrior Within (outfits) and Two Thrones (city under siege, arm corruption).

Hopefully Mechner's input is visible. I don't want to give him too much credit, but I know Sands of Time and the Prince of Persia comic he wrote both had heaps more charm and personality than Warrior Within, Two Thrones and the latest PoP combined.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:35 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2009, 02:35 AM 1 #23 of 30
This movie will be the SHIT if I have to pay an extra ten bucks after the fact to see an extra non-ending, the fuck are you talking about Q?

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:40 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2009, 11:40 AM #24 of 30
So long as they don't add visible button prompts on the screen as a "knowing" winks to gamerz, I'm almost cool with anything they pull off. We already know it's going to end with a cliffhanger since they want a franchise. Closure in games or license movies comes as pleasant surprises.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 4, 2009, 03:40 AM #25 of 30
If I were to pick someone to play the role of the Prince, it'd be this guy:

If Cousin Balki isn't perfect for this role, nobody is.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Prince of Persia - Bruckheimer/Disney/Gyllenhaal