Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Are you a vegetarian?
Yes 20 14.29%
No 120 85.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Are You a Vegetarian?

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:18 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 06:18 AM #76 of 76
Depends on how strict you are whith your terms. I’m a nutritional and dietetics student and eat a plant-based whole foods plant-based diet which is for the most part , as in my everyday diet, is vegetarian and pretty close to vegan (if you count honey as vegan it is if not it’s not), however if you take a highly militant definition of the previous veg*n terms then no I’m not either of them. My reasons are health reasons; (*flashes leather coat* I really don’t care if you kill the animals only if you eat too much of them) which is also the reason I don’t like to use the term vegan or vegetarian to describe myself, strict adherences to these terms tend to miss the point from a nutritional perspective.

Now I’ve heard most of the in this thread all before: the unjustified obsession with complete protein, vegans meet and exceed protein requirements this is the official position of the American and Canadian Dietetics associations; people quoting an example of a sick vegan as if that where a representative sample, although most every study finds that vegans are healthier then the average non-vegetarian; but the one thing about this topic that annoys me to no end is this:

Quote:
I find a vegetarian diet too hard to follow, not to mention a little expensive.
Why on Earth does everyone think being a vegetarian is more expensive than being a meat eater?
Apparently, this may comes as a surprise but being a vegetarian is much cheaper than being a meat eater I repeat being a vegetarian is cheaper, cost less, will save you money, is actually one of the reasons I have little desire to go back to meat eating.

Let’s think about this logically to create vegetarian food like say corn you must take land plant seeds water it fertilize it etc, let label all of these things as X. Now to create meat you must take an animal, and raise it till you can slaughter it this includes antibotics, water, cages etc lets label these things Y. One thing I intentional left out is you must feed the animal food (usually corn in modern farming practices) in other words X above. Now explain to me how the value of X+Y (the cost to raise animals for meat) can be less than the value of X (cost to farm plants) alone when X and Y are both positive integers. This ideal of vegtrainisum being more expensive simply does not make since, when you think about the amount of resources poured into making meat.* However let us look straight at the bottom line, look at link below it gives quite a good break down of how a vegan diet is much cheaper including the price of common foods. The McDougall Newsletter - Cutting Food Costs

*I know I am oversimplifying the agricultural system a bit; the subsidy system for example comes in helps blunt the real cost of meat production but the point remains valid. Meat is an inherently inefficient means of food production you have to give energy (calories) in order to raise the animal to the age of slaughter where it meat will inevitably yield less energy (calories) than was used to raise it.

I understand that if you use meat substitutes it can get very expensive but this does not prove that vegetarian diet are more expensive only that fake meat is more expensive then real meat. If you stick to natural whole-foods you can eat for much less on a vegetarian diet.

I do believe the link above proves the point well enough but to further illustrate the point instead of eating beef and barley soup I now eat I eat bean and barely soup a pound of beans (dry) cost less than a pound a beef and is more filling (fiber), all other ingredients in the soup stay the same. When I stopped eating chicken I ate more black beans and brown rice which is again cheaper per pound, more filling and healthier then chicken. A plant-based (aka vegetarian) diet can be a great cost saver if done properly and should be promoted as such especially to low income families, and yet to my bewilderment people cannot seem to figure this out. There is nothing inherently expensive about a vegetarian diet if anything it is meat eating which should be considered inherently expensive as it among other things has the cost of a vegetarian diet (the animals) built into it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Dan; Apr 2, 2008 at 05:24 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Are You a Vegetarian?