Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Manga] Yotsuba is invincible. "WAKAPPA!"

Old May 12, 2006, 02:57 AM #76 of 386
You never knew Koalla Su's nationality from Love Hina until volume 13. Everyone always thought she was Indian and she'd always deny that because, well, she wasn't as it turned out. Anyway, Yotsuba's nationality is up in the air and when we find out we'll find out. It doesn't really matter.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:16 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 02:16 AM #77 of 386
Originally Posted by OmagnusPrime
I wondered that too. I also wondered if there was the possibility she comes from Hawaii (I vaguely recall talk of them coming from an island, or maybe I'm imagining that).
You weren't imagining. It came from this scene attached here. And another page from earlier only hinting at her history.

That's about all that was revealed.

1. She's not from Japan.
2. She's probably from some island "to the left"
3. She was abandoned by her parents.
4. She has a grandmother.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:55 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 10:55 AM #78 of 386
Yotsuba's nationality admittedly intrigued me, but only when the manga itself talked about it, as otherwise it doesn't matter. Finding out more about her past would be fascinating, but it might be something painful and what matters most is that Yotsuba is happy right now.
It's obvious it doesn't matter too much to Azuma, and I think the "Yeah. Hawaii's to the right" line is a perfect and subtle example of this.

Yotsuba sees dad as her real father (though she probably doesn't even know what a biological father is) and dad definitely sees Yotsuba as his real daughter.

Most amazing jew boots

wakarukaya
Carob Nut

Member 582

Level 5.90

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:18 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:18 AM #79 of 386
Thanks for the links!! Yotsuba& is my favorite manga! I can't wait till more comes out.

I also don't foresee a chapter where Yotsuba's past is explained. The tone of this manga is really positive and light, and hopefully it won't get too serious. But who knows what Azuma wants to do with this later...

FELIPE NO
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 11:41 AM #80 of 386
Excellent series!! Don't know why it took me so long to get into Yotsubato!

One of my favorite stories has to be the one where her dad and Jumbo have a badminton match face-off. It was so funny while they're arguing about it going out or in:

Dad: "It went over the rope and then straight into the ground *drilling the shuttle cock into the ground* it went in at least 10cm!! Gettting it out was almost impossible!!!"
Jumbo: "Shut up!! You're an idiot!! A stupid idiot!!!"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"This job would be great if it wasn't for the f@#$ing customers!!"
- Randall to Dante (Clerks)
Hatter106
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 6801

Level 1.34

May 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 12:42 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 01:42 AM #81 of 386
Man, am I glad I found those scanlations. It doesn't look like ADV has Vol. 4 of Yotsuba&! scheduled anytime soon. And after the horrible print quality of Vol. 3, I'm less inclined to purchase their stuff.

Yotsuba&! is definitely the best manga I've read in years. I do with there was more of it, but Azuma definitely makes the most of every chapter. His style has definitely become cleaner and more attractive since the early days of Azumanga Daioh.

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that it's published in the seinen magazine Dengeki Daioh, where ecchi and lolicon content is fairly common. Yotsuba&! is pretty innocent for the most part, but being in that mag gives it some undertones that kinda bother me.

Most amazing jew boots
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 04:00 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 11:00 AM #82 of 386
Originally Posted by Hatter106
And after the horrible print quality of Vol. 3, I'm less inclined to purchase their stuff.
What? =/
I have volume 3 and the quality was great. Can't you check graphic novels for bad prints before you buy them?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 04:18 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 02:18 AM #83 of 386
Anyone know where I can get Volume 27 - Current? I am definetly digging this manga.

One thing though: Is it just her, or is it a cultural thing in japan for people to say "I've formed a better opinion of you, ____", because I've never really heard anyone in the US say that (I was re-reading Volume 3 after Hatter's comment & Qwarky's reply, lol ).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 07:31 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 02:31 PM #84 of 386
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Anyone know where I can get Volume 27 - Current? I am definetly digging this manga.
http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/an...tml#post113007

The urls are also in the first post
And they're not volumes, they're chapters

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Hatter106
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 6801

Level 1.34

May 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 11:05 AM #85 of 386
Originally Posted by Qwarky
What? =/
I have volume 3 and the quality was great. Can't you check graphic novels for bad prints before you buy them?

Hmm, odd that you guys didn't notice, it caused a big stir on the AnimeOnDVD forums...
Basically, ADV's entire print run of Yotsuba&! Vol. 3 is marred with lower-quality, pixelated, "jagged" edges, something even an apprentice printer should have been able to catch. It's not really noticable if you hold the book a full arm's length away, but I like to hold it closer, to better appreciate the linework (as do many people). I'm not sure whether ADV just happened to get low-quality masters for this volume (unlikely), but it definitely affected my enjoyment of the volume. Their first two volumes were pretty much pristine, which is important since Azuma has such a clean line style.
As far as I can tell, there's only one "clean" page in the whole volume (p. 173, when Yotsuba tries balloon catching over, and over, and over...) Look at the lines of their face, then compare it to the opposite page. You'll definitely notice.

I actually held off on buying vol. 3 for the longest time, hoping ADV would correct the problem in a new print run. They haven't acknowledged it yet.

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, I still loved the content, just wish it was treated better.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
One thing though: Is it just her, or is it a cultural thing in japan for people to say "I've formed a better opinion of you, ____", because I've never really heard anyone in the US say that (I was re-reading Volume 3 after Hatter's comment & Qwarky's reply, lol ).

It's probably not an expression you hear out loud too much, but I've seen it used in a number of titles, so it's definitely a part of the Japanese mindset. Guess it ties in with their cultural fear of being singled out & being thought of as "weird".

Last edited by Hatter106; May 15, 2006 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 10:31 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 08:31 AM #86 of 386
Originally Posted by Qwarky
http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/an...tml#post113007

The urls are also in the first post
I fail for not reading thread =\

Quote:
And they're not volumes, they're chapters
Hmm, that always confused me anyway

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 12:03 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 07:03 PM #87 of 386
Originally Posted by Hatter106
Hmm, odd that you guys didn't notice, it caused a big stir on the AnimeOnDVD forums...
Basically, ADV's entire print run of Yotsuba&! Vol. 3 is marred with lower-quality, pixelated, "jagged" edges, something even an apprentice printer should have been able to catch. It's not really noticable if you hold the book a full arm's length away, but I like to hold it closer, to better appreciate the linework (as do many people). I'm not sure whether ADV just happened to get low-quality masters for this volume (unlikely), but it definitely affected my enjoyment of the volume. Their first two volumes were pretty much pristine, which is important since Azuma has such a clean line style.
As far as I can tell, there's only one "clean" page in the whole volume (p. 173, when Yotsuba tries balloon catching over, and over, and over...) Look at the lines of their face, then compare it to the opposite page. You'll definitely notice.

I actually held off on buying vol. 3 for the longest time, hoping ADV would correct the problem in a new print run. They haven't acknowledged it yet.
Interesting. I had to comb through my volume again at close range and I had a hard time seeing what you mean at first.

Is this the "jagged" edge you mean?
http://myy.helia.fi/~a0400729/Pics/IMG%20305.jpg

I see it now, but since I didn't notice it at all when reading, it's not that much of an issue for me personally, unlike a dodgy translation or censoring/content editing would be.
At a normal reading lenght the panel line "jaggies" are still slightly visible

but considering the alternative looks like this:

I can't complain and I don't see how it's any kind of good reason to boycott the release. But hey, their loss.

FELIPE NO

gaara-chan
Bonkler

Member 73

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 05:02 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 12:02 PM #88 of 386
I'm just glad I'm able to buy the volumes from bol.com only a little while after they're released in the US.

Also, the translations in Yotsuba&! are pretty much similar to Momoto's, so that's a plus. Fortunately, compared to the Azumanga translations (of which some parts were very poor, IMO), the jokes are more easily to pick up and don't leave you with that "WTF How is this funny =/" feeling.

I can't wait for volume 4 ;_;

wakarukaya
Carob Nut

Member 582

Level 5.90

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 02:35 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 12:35 AM #89 of 386
Does anyone know who translates it or if theres a certain channel that distributes it?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: May 24, 2006, 06:42 PM #90 of 386
I can always count on Q to buy stuff, which I then confiscate in the name of "sure you'll get em back".
Yotsuba manga. Getto !

How ya doing, buddy?
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2006, 02:43 PM Local time: May 25, 2006, 03:43 AM #91 of 386
I started buying the manga as well after reading the scanslations. The overall quality of the book is much better of course, but I've started to feel some of the translation really doesn't seem to work. It could be because, to me, the translations done by A-M and others are more true to the original content of the manga, whereas ADV decided to change things so that the humor would be more obvious to western readers.

Stuff like: "Thank you, bishoujo Fuuka-chan!" being translated by ADV as "Thank you, Fuka! You're sooo attractive, Fuka!!" seems weird to say the least.

The one that really gets to me though is in chapter 7, volume 1. When Fuuka asks Yotsuba what her father's job is, Yotsuba mistakenly tells her that her father is a "konyakuya" (a maker of traditional snacks) when in actuality he's a "honyakuka" (a translator). ADV changed it so that instead of a "translator", Yotsuba tells Fuuka that her father is a "train spotter". WTF?! How does that work?! Because later in chapter 24 I'm not sure how Fuuka and Koiwai's conversation in the supermarket will go, since Fuuka is still under the misbelief that he's a konyakuya....

Anyways, I'll be getting volume 3 in about a week's time. Does anyone know when ADV will be releasing volume 4? I can't even find any Yotsubato! manga listed on their website!!!

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 07:45 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 02:45 AM #92 of 386
JUMBO BEAM!

So someone over at Chiyochan.net has translated Chapter 31.

Note that this a single individual, so if you want the best quality scanlations, I suggest waiting for more "official" groups, but for simply reading while we wait, this was fine. And what a completely wonderful chapter it was too, so good <3

I renamed the pages correctly and rapidshared:
http://rapidshare.de/files/21480663/Chapter31.rar.html

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; May 26, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 26, 2006, 07:53 PM Local time: May 26, 2006, 05:53 PM #93 of 386

Awwwwww!

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 12:02 AM #94 of 386
I like the Yanda reference, so adorable...how can I say such a thing when I am an angsty teenage boy? hahaha

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Scooby-Doo

Member 7796

Level 1.02

Jun 2006

Old Jun 4, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 12:07 PM #95 of 386

FELIPE NO
Sirmackerel
Persona

Member 3968

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:44 PM #96 of 386
I'm bumping this because I finally caved in and downloaded Yotsuba scanslations. Cursed ADV Manga has basically left Yotsuba (and many other good titles, like Gunslinger Girl) in limbo. I'll definitely buy up volumes 4 and beyond if ADV Manga ever releases them here...

"The one that really gets to me though is in chapter 7, volume 1. When Fuuka asks Yotsuba what her father's job is, Yotsuba mistakenly tells her that her father is a "konyakuya" (a maker of traditional snacks) when in actuality he's a "honyakuka" (a translator). ADV changed it so that instead of a "translator", Yotsuba tells Fuuka that her father is a "train spotter". WTF?! How does that work?! "

How does it not work? Although I do realize that ADV screwed themselves over for Chapter 24, it seems very obvious to me why they changed the joke in the first place; "chef" of "cook" sounds nothing like "translator" in English, whereas "train spotter" does. Would you rather have ADV leave the Japanese terms in and not translate things?

Memento mori
Cogito, ergo summ
Pense, done je suis,
Remember that you are mortal.

http://www.konamistars.com/konamista...dg8zI6mbHVIXkw
Join the Konami RPG Stars!

Last edited by Sirmackerel; Jun 14, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
hikarub
Kore mite!!

Member 717

Level 21.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 01:06 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 02:06 PM #97 of 386
Originally Posted by Sirmackerel
How does it not work? Although I do realize that ADV screwed themselves over for Chapter 24, it seems very obvious to me why they changed the joke in the first place; "chef" of "cook" sounds nothing like "translator" in English, whereas "train spotter" does. Would you rather have ADV leave the Japanese terms in and not translate things?
Actually, yes. I'm sure it would've been easier to leave the original terms in there and just add the notes at the bottom of the page. The scanslation made much more sense that way. This may be the reason why ADV aren't releasing volume 4 yet, they're too busy trying to figure out how to "fix" this monumental cock-up. Or would they skip chapter 24 altogther?!

I just read ADV's volume 3 and I have a major gripe about it. In the final chapter (chapter 21) they've pretty much fucked up with the names and translation......
Spoiler:
......when reunited with her father, Yotsuba says to Ena & Miura: "Festivals are dangerous! You'd better watch out, Ena and Fuka!!". Now how the hell did they fuck that up?! And at the very end, suppposedly Yotsuba asks Ena if Asagi and Fuka are also watching the fireworks somewhere out there, and Ena agrees they must be. However, ADV have made it so that Yotsuba asks, "Asagi and Fuka, are you watching?" and Ena replies, "Yes, I am!"......WTF.....?

The volume was funny but sometimes ADV screw us over....

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sirmackerel
Persona

Member 3968

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:20 AM #98 of 386
Originally Posted by hikarub
Actually, yes. I'm sure it would've been easier to leave the original terms in there and just add the notes at the bottom of the page. The scanslation made much more sense that way. This may be the reason why ADV aren't releasing volume 4 yet, they're too busy trying to figure out how to "fix" this monumental cock-up. Or would they skip chapter 24 altogther?!
...whereas ADV decided to change things so that the humor would be more obvious to western readers.

I do agree that ADV Manga's long hiatus is inexcusable, as well as random name/grammar mistakes like the ones you mentioned (it reeks of sloppiness), but what you said earlier is my point exactly. Scanslators can get away with leaving jokes in Japanese and using cultural and/or definition footnotes because they don't actually have to sell anything. However, companies like Viz and ADV Manga have to try to sell things to both the mainstream and the fringe. They can't risk shunning the mainstream with Japanese jokes that would go over most people's heads (even with footnotes).

I won't push this any further, since I don't want an argument to potentially break out in a Yotsuba topic. I apologize for my initial inflammatory post, and thus will take my leave.

How ya doing, buddy?
Memento mori
Cogito, ergo summ
Pense, done je suis,
Remember that you are mortal.

http://www.konamistars.com/konamista...dg8zI6mbHVIXkw
Join the Konami RPG Stars!

Last edited by Sirmackerel; Jun 15, 2006 at 08:05 AM.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 05:01 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 12:01 AM #99 of 386
I heard from RR the other day that chapter 32 was translated and proceeded to find it. A wonderful chapter as usual, I especially liked the stuff at the video rental store.

I also noticed Face's uploads of 27-30 have expired, so I re-rapidshared 27-32 and updated the opening post in case people only check the first post for new chapters.

http://rapidshare.de/files/23352237/...27-32.rar.html

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:45 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 06:45 PM #100 of 386
wow thanks for the rapidshare Qchan! I was afraid I won't be able to read the latest ones, good thing you're there.

/me gives Q a lemon cake

EDIT: JUMBO BEAM! (just finished reading all of 'em definitely not "boring shit" )

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Vemp; Jun 18, 2006 at 09:29 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Manga] Yotsuba is invincible. "WAKAPPA!"