Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What are you reading now?

Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:55 AM #26 of 77
Originally Posted by Sol
I'm currently binging on science fiction, hence having finished both The Mote In God's Eye and The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I just started reading Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds last night, which is proving much better than it's predecessor in the series.

Once done with this, I'll likely start reading some more books on social commentary or politics that I've been putting off.
Mote in God's Eye is an excellent book, though I can't recall reading The Gripping Hand. If you like Niven's work you should check out the Ringworld books as well.

I just finished some book by Orson Scott Card. The fifth and final in the series, though I can't recall the title of it at the moment. I am currently reading The Binding Curve of Energy which details the early, care free days of nuclear weapon development with a paralell commentary on the faesibility of a person being able to contruct and detonate a nuclear weapon single handedly. Interesting stuff though possibly a little dated since it was written in 1975.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:49 AM #27 of 77
I'm currently reading 2 books by Ayn Rand:
Anthem
and
The Fountainhead.

Recently finished Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Vol. 1, although it really can't be considered a book, but instead a manga, which is in my opinion, a genre unto itself.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:51 AM #28 of 77
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
I'm currently reading Watership Down by Richard Adams. I must have read the novel over ten times already, and I still don't get tired of it. People may think it's a stupid book because it stars rabbits, but it's really quite violent and fascinating.
Want to make out?

I've read that one two or three times myself, and you've inspired me to read it again since it's been about seven years since I've read it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:21 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 12:21 PM #29 of 77
The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan.

This is only my second time reading it. I probably read the novel about four or five years ago during the summer, but went through it too quickly for a class. I'm taking my time now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:34 PM #30 of 77
The user manual for a HP DesignJet 5500 series printer. The one at work is broke, and I have no idea how to fix it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 04:26 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 03:26 PM #31 of 77
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
I'm currently reading Watership Down by Richard Adams. I must have read the novel over ten times already, and I still don't get tired of it. People may think it's a stupid book because it stars rabbits, but it's really quite violent and fascinating.
I never thought it was a stupid book, as it has very mature themes and such in it, but I didn't think it warranted the amount of attention lavished on it by my school district. I had to read it twice: once in 7th grade and again in 10th. Most the people in my English lit. class had read it in 7th, most didn't like it, and we thought it was pretty redundant to go through it again. But OH WELL.

Have you read the 'sequel' of sorts, Tales from Watership Down? Since I was one of the 2 people in school that didn't completely loathe the novel, I found it and bought it. Never read through the whole thing, but it was interesting. As with most anthropomorphic animal novels, the main attraction is the invented myths and culture of the animals, which is what Tales... is all about.

For my money, I've always been fond of Mary Stanton's Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West and the sequel, Piper at the Gate. It's similar in construction to WD, but with horses and more emphasis on the myths of the horses.

FELIPE NO
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:41 PM #32 of 77
Originally Posted by Arkhangelsk
Have you read the 'sequel' of sorts, Tales from Watership Down? Since I was one of the 2 people in school that didn't completely loathe the novel, I found it and bought it. Never read through the whole thing, but it was interesting. As with most anthropomorphic animal novels, the main attraction is the invented myths and culture of the animals, which is what Tales... is all about.
I've read that one. A great thing about it is that people can read it, just as I did, without reading its predecessor (I need to get around to reading that...). Rather fond of mythology, the tales of El-ahrairah were quite enjoyable. I also found it quite clever of Adams to incorporate a rabbit language. Ingenious.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Acro-nym; Jul 14, 2006 at 07:44 PM.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:22 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 08:22 PM #33 of 77
Currently reading:
Les Miserables, Victor Hugo (pg. 150 out of 1500... grrrr)

Just finished:
Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert

Jam it back in, in the dark.
subferno
Syklis Green

Member 1456

Level 6.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 09:47 PM #34 of 77
Harry Potter: Scorcerer's Stone. Yeah, I am late but I barely remember the movie so the book is still refreshing.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 07:02 PM #35 of 77
I recently found a copy of Shadows of the Empire at work and snatched it up. I enjoyed the N64 game back in the day, but I'm liking the book a lot more. It goes a lot more into Prince Xizor's character than the game, which didn't even touch it, aside from being jealous of Darth Vader and wanting Luke Skywalker dead so he could take his place, if I remember correctly.

Reylee
Chocobo

Member 9749

Level 9.98

Jul 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:37 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 02:37 PM #36 of 77
en~i am a new person,i am in china ,i am reading the book-The Da Vinci Code recently ^^

syl
it's not dark yet

Member 2023

Level 3.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 09:40 AM #37 of 77
Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting. Lately I've been losing so much interest in books (which is horrendous, since I don't really have time for them during school and now is the perfect time)... but this one is thoroughly entertaining, disturbing, and captivating. Once your brain gets into the rhythm of the phonetic dialect, it's excellent, ken? I haven't actually seen the entire film, though I prefer the novel already. Ewan McGregor just isn't Rents.

Most amazing jew boots
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:50 AM #38 of 77
I've been reading the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin as of late. I just finished A Feast for Crows and am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

I'm also reading the Inheritance trilogy by Christopher Paolini. Its alright and a fairly easy read. Not the best I've ever read, but I'd be interested in seeing what this young author produces later on in his writing career.

---
el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:54 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2006, 02:54 AM #39 of 77
I've been trying to get into Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and the Margarita but I keep getting distracted and such. It's a shame, since it's a good book (from where I got) and I would like to finish it. I know I will have more chance for focus in August so I will try again then.

FELIPE NO
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:02 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:02 PM #40 of 77
Originally Posted by el jacko
I've been trying to get into Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and the Margarita but I keep getting distracted and such. It's a shame, since it's a good book (from where I got) and I would like to finish it.
Oy, my favorite book, ever. Hands down. I've been trying to do a comic or something based on it, but like most of my projects it doesn't go anywhere. Which translation do you have (unless you're reading it in Russian, of course ). After you read that, you might want to check out Heart of the Dog, also by Bulgakov -- or you could read that one first. It's much shorter and not as heavily written, so you wouldn't have to devote so much time to it.

Also, check out this website after or while you're reading the novel.

How ya doing, buddy?
kenkwan86
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9768

Level 2.38

Jul 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:02 PM #41 of 77
Im reading tuesday with morrie (kind of an old book huh). gotta read intuition by allegra goodman and march by geraldine brooks after it. damn, got too many books with too little time.

jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:15 PM #42 of 77
It's been a while since I read a book.. but I'm starting to pick some up. I just started Da Vinci Code and I like it a lot. I like suspense and character development in books.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:36 PM #43 of 77
Originally Posted by syl
Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting. Lately I've been losing so much interest in books (which is horrendous, since I don't really have time for them during school and now is the perfect time)... but this one is thoroughly entertaining, disturbing, and captivating. Once your brain gets into the rhythm of the phonetic dialect, it's excellent, ken? I haven't actually seen the entire film, though I prefer the novel already. Ewan McGregor just isn't Rents.
This is easily one of my favourite books. I highly recommend it as well.

gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 02:29 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 11:29 AM #44 of 77
I'm reading I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. I'm only 30 pages in, but it seems interesting. God has offered Lucifer a chance to get back into Heaven, but he has to live a good life on Earth first. Lucifer is the narrator, and he gets off topic a lot, so it's kind of annoying, but still amusing.

The last book I read was Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. I had to read it for class, but I loved it. It was like reading a soap opera.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 08:14 PM #45 of 77
Re-reading A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick before I see the film.

I want to see the fucking film NOW. It's not in UK cinemas as far as I know though

I was speaking idiomatically.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 02:48 PM #46 of 77
Originally Posted by christinajon
I'm reading I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan. I'm only 30 pages in, but it seems interesting. God has offered Lucifer a chance to get back into Heaven, but he has to live a good life on Earth first. Lucifer is the narrator, and he gets off topic a lot, so it's kind of annoying, but still amusing.
That is one amusing book! I really liked it (although I usually like anything to do with the devil/angels/demons, especially when it's British). Since you've only just started reading it, give it some time. The only funnier book I've come across in that vein is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman; if you haven't read it, you really should.

Also, if you want the 'soundtrack' to I, Lucifer by The Real Tuesday Weld/Clerkenwell Kid, I have it. Just PM me.
That is, if you haven't heard it yet.

Gratch
Not at my post

Member 7140

Level 8.23

May 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:41 PM #47 of 77
Just started Greg Keyes 'The Blood Knight', which is the 3rd book in his Kingdoms of Thorn & Bone series. The series isn't as epic as, say, Martins Song of Ice & Fire, but it's some pretty fun throwaway fantasy in a well-developed world.

After that will be Terry Pratchett's 'Monstrous Regiment'.

FELIPE NO
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 02:58 AM Local time: Jul 17, 2006, 01:58 AM #48 of 77
Finally finishing American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. After that it's either Glamorama or the Informers.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 05:42 AM #49 of 77
@Arkhangelsk, I meant people who haven't read it are the ones who just assume the novel is stupid/kiddy after they hear the story is about rabbits.

I've read Tales of WD and it's not really that great. The myth stories weren't as good as the ones in WD. I do have the novel though. It got it at a book sale for cheap, and it has a nice cover.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2006, 08:35 AM #50 of 77
I haven't read a book in some time. In fact, I think it was Timothy Zahn's Star Wars: Outbound Flight and that was in March. I go through short stories pretty regularly or pick up an old favorite and skim parts I don't remember very well.

For the most part, I'm keeping in formation with Harlan Ellison, Robert E Howard and Steven King short stories.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > What are you reading now?