Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!

Shanks
Syklis Green

Member 18575

Level 8.62

Jan 2007

Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:08 PM 1 #101 of 107

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Shanks; Aug 31, 2008 at 10:28 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:22 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 01:22 PM 2 #102 of 107
It is fallacious to clothe prescriptive spelling standards in the guise of "truth." Truth, as you say, is never a social construct, but spelling is. Spelling changes as culture changes; culture changes as the collective psychology of a nation changes. It is not absurd then to attempt to attribute the frustration with spelling to some sort of psychological condition.

And I have no response for your other verbiage.
Yes, many of us have taken social science courses alongside an English degree, too. Very impressive. Except that it is, in fact, idiotic to attribute a frustration with spelling to a psychological condition. That's akin to saying that people who don't like plaid probably suffer from autism. Also, truth is as much a social construct as spelling is. Truth changes as culture changes, and the collective psychology of a nation has nothing to do with culture, because you can't properly define culture. Culture is the lovely throw-around word of the would-be intellectual attempting, rather in vain in this case, to make a deep point and impress someone. Unfortunately, mate, you're coming up a little short. Plenty of us here can read, and you can throw around a vocabulary all you like, but you're still basically attempting to argue an amalgam of anthropology, psychology, philosophy and linguistics. You've spread yourself too thin and make no actual point beyond "there is no spoon." So congratulations, Mr. Wachowski. Bang up job.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:56 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2008, 02:56 PM #103 of 107
It is fallacious to clothe prescriptive spelling standards in the guise of "truth." Truth, as you say, is never a social construct, but spelling is. Spelling changes as culture changes; culture changes as the collective psychology of a nation changes. It is not absurd then to attempt to attribute the frustration with spelling to some sort of psychological condition.

And I have no response for your other verbiage.
Originally Posted by Google Language Tools
Hey guys, I'm smart, I used a thesaurus to replace every single word in this post. Really all I said was 'I'm right you're wrong'
Seriously, that's what it spit out. I swear.

I get annoyed by people that try to flaunt their "intelligence" over other people. But seriously, dog is always going to be spelled 'd-o-g' no matter how society changes. That is, unless wiggers have their way and it starts to be spelled 'dawg'.

Oh I saw another typo today that annoyed me. People who use excessive punctuation in this. HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does not get my attention anymore than HI!. Really, save some finger stamina, type less characters. *sigh*

FELIPE NO
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:00 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 02:00 AM #104 of 107
Two things I always have a hard time writing and spelling, Piece and Receive. I always have to remember it's, "I before E, except after C".

Most thing short form drive me a bit crazy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 03:46 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 01:46 AM #105 of 107
The purpose of standard spelling, as I see it, is to facilitate discussion by avoiding confusion. Most of the typos mentioned are easily recognized as typos, and their meanings are quickly understood.

Whether the spelling mistake is committed due to "intellectual laziness" or simply a slip of the mind does not change that. A "intelligent" person would merely ignore the mistake and attempt to understand what was meant--a task that is, more often than not, very easy (as you all have shown). It appears to me that the frustration with typos merely stems from the "if I adhere to the rules of proper spelling (an arduous task if you must know), then so must you" sentiment, or perhaps from the obsession with following rules, rules that were inculcated at a very young age. Or maybe people just get kicks out of identifying others' mistakes?

Regardless, it is obvious that the frustration is not an "intellectual" concern. On the other hand, I would consider usage errors and grammatical errors, which are more probable to cause confusion than simple typos, to be more justifiable sources of irritation.
Ok dude, I don't care how fucking smart / intelligent you are, you send me an email at work saying "Your welcome" in a formal, business setting with your boss and my boss on cc to the email, I'm still going to look at my screen and think how retarded you are.

... Outlook and Outlook Express really should have Grammar check included.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:35 PM #106 of 107
Alot. "Alot" is not a word, it's two words. 'A' and 'lot'. And this isn't really a typo, more just stupidity: I can't stand when people replace th with d. Like "yeah, I''d hit dat".

RAGE.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Baaah~
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:58 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2008, 09:58 AM #107 of 107
As mentioned by everyone, I think YOUR/YOU'RE are the most common typo I encountered, and I also uncionsciounsly often words with similiar sound such as RISE/RAISE, etc. The typo even get worse when I'm getting sleepy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!