Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Dawn of Mana

B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 04:29 PM Local time: Jan 28, 2007, 10:29 PM #1 of 24
Dawn of Mana

Cause I was curious about new creation of famous SquareEnix I decided to dive a little in to the game not completely understanding everything since only Japanese version is out.

From what I can say intro is rather like in some fairy tales... those boring ones, not showing any special effects it's just simple fairy tale start... BORING.

Main menu is simple & clean. Start and Options are only available way to go. Options doesn't contain any interesting stuff so let's just start the game. Easy and Normal as it was in Mana games, probable later Hard and Nightmare are available.

As for the first mission when we have to chase Pikachu kind monster well known from mana games. On our way to goal we will encounter killer mushrooms and birds that will drop candies and weird square shape symbols giving us additional HP or Power. Square is Attack, X is Jump and L1 is Block. That's all we need to finish this level in "no time". Why? We kill same enemies over a 100 times... no other enemies? Ehh it was quite boring but it's where I got my self now. My only weapon is wooden stuck... Let's hope that next few hours will bring some more action.

Graphic is on level of Radiata Stories or Kingdom Hearts 2 (for now) so no special effect explosion like it was with FF XII. Music and sound is awesome like it always was in Square games. Gamemp3's already have the OST ripped so go grab it!

Back to game!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4

Last edited by B4-Hunter; Jan 28, 2007 at 04:37 PM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 05:22 PM #2 of 24
So is Dawn of Mana the newest installment of Mana released in Japan for PS2? I think I went to the gfaqs board and they were complaining about how it still wasn't like a true successor to SoM, and it was again more like Children of Mana. Despite that, I want to go and grab the OST hoping that it will charm me like Legend of Mana's did.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LivingDreams
Chocobo

Member 520

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:54 PM #3 of 24
The game was released already? Hah I didnt know that, I never played the older Mana titles so I hope this comes out in North America soon so I can play it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Eat glass.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 07:00 PM Local time: Jan 30, 2007, 01:00 PM #4 of 24
The game was released in japan. Comes out in March I think?

I just hope it isn't as lackluster as Children of Mana. I like dungeon crawlers myself (Chocobo's Dungeon 2 was one of my favorite PS1 titles), but there's a difference between proper dungeon crawlers and ones which just have the same enemies in a slightly differently-arranged level and calling that a stage (which Children of Mana was guilty of).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:57 PM Local time: Jan 30, 2007, 11:57 AM #5 of 24
So I saw this one uses the HL2 engine, so how exactly does it play? Is it fixed camera or over the shoulder? Is it playing in 3d like BFM or Kingdom Hearts (please no)? Is it kinda like the battles in Star Ocean?

I was speaking idiomatically.
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:41 PM Local time: Jan 30, 2007, 10:41 PM #6 of 24
There is not jump between fight and game. You just aper on a new level with weapon already equipped and start cutting everything on your way. Fights are more like KH. Camera is behind character like in most of RPG's but still it feels like KH one. There are not much attacks that we can make... some combinations with Block and Jump, that's all. We can use magic, shoot some seeds on the enemies and push objects like rocks, crates etc. I already got one boss fight but still I cant figure how do I use items or heal my self =P

Anyway I'm getting my X360 in a matter of days so better get back to game =)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 30, 2007, 05:16 PM Local time: Jan 30, 2007, 02:16 PM #7 of 24
From what I've heard about this game from importers who beaten it, is that the game seems to be lackluster in gameplay, but the kicker is there is no 2 player. Untill I see more good points in the game, looks like this is another franchise that has fallen from grace.

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 03:16 PM Local time: May 27, 2007, 02:16 PM #8 of 24
Was there any Mana game (released in the U.S.) that didn't completely suck besides Secret of Mana? Why don't they give up on this franchise already!

Quote:
Avg Ratio: 56%
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929140.asp

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 03:53 PM #9 of 24
I haven't really heard much of anything about this game, so I was actually considering buying it. But now that it's out...geez there's so many negative reviews about it.

I guess the series really did end with the SNES.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 04:33 PM #10 of 24
EGm and almost every magazine gave it a very low rating. I was under the impression that it would kick ass. They say it doesn't play as a Mana game >=/.

I guess Heroes of Mana are our last hope.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 05:12 PM #11 of 24
Originally Posted by chato
I guess Heroes of Mana are our last hope.
Since Heroes is a strategy RPG and completely abandons the usual combat systems used by the rest of the franchise, I wouldn't hold your breath. It's sad too, because some of the screens looked really cool. At least the soundtrack is excellent though.

Isn't there another Mana game for the DS being worked on right now? I could swear I heard a title somewhere. Since Heroes of Mana is a direct prequel to Seiken Densetsu 3 we could always revive that vague, trampled hope that it may be localized some day...

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 05:15 PM #12 of 24
Word is that Heroes is actually a very good game, and possibly the best in several years, but it's an RTS soooo...

They haven't announced any other Mana games. Considering how critically panned Dawn of Mana was in the US and in Japan, and how badly Heroes bombed in Japan (don't think it's even hit 40k), the series might be officially dead.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 05:21 PM #13 of 24
It's a complete mystery how Square keeps managing to screw up such a simple formula. Story+ring system+several weapons+no one named Dark Lord. That shouldn't be difficult. In fact, it should be easy as hell to follow.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 06:07 PM Local time: May 27, 2007, 04:07 PM #14 of 24
Well, Heroes will have to tide people over until the next one in the series. Which is fine by me, since Heroes of Mana is supposed to kick ass and feel like a Mana game. Just doesn't play like one.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 06:17 PM #15 of 24
Since Heroes is a strategy RPG and completely abandons the usual combat systems used by the rest of the franchise, I wouldn't hold your breath. It's sad too, because some of the screens looked really cool. At least the soundtrack is excellent though.

Isn't there another Mana game for the DS being worked on right now? I could swear I heard a title somewhere. Since Heroes of Mana is a direct prequel to Seiken Densetsu 3 we could always revive that vague, trampled hope that it may be localized some day...

I can put up with a strategy-rpg type of game. As long as the music guides me to play it all the way unlike the most recent rpgs that are out now >.>. That new Shining Force looked awesome at least.

Question though, did the music for Dawn bomb as well?

Most amazing jew boots
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 06:29 PM Local time: May 28, 2007, 01:29 AM #16 of 24
Children of Mana sucked as well. Guess Mana-games aren't what they used to be.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 06:46 PM #17 of 24
It's a complete mystery how Square keeps managing to screw up such a simple formula. Story+ring system+several weapons+no one named Dark Lord. That shouldn't be difficult. In fact, it should be easy as hell to follow.
Perhaps Squeenix does not want to venture back to the magical place Where Angels Fear to Tread? :harhar:

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 08:13 PM Local time: May 27, 2007, 06:13 PM #18 of 24
Children of Mana sucked as well. Guess Mana-games aren't what they used to be.
How many good mana games were there? Secret and SD3 (I didn't even like SD3)?

And who here thought after playing SoE that it would be a better game than any of the other ones that followed.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2007, 09:12 PM #19 of 24
Legend of Mana was awesome. I'd like to say it ended from there. Seriously, the OST of that game is legendary.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 05:20 AM Local time: May 28, 2007, 11:20 PM #20 of 24
For some reason Dawn of Mana runs on the Havok engine. Which for some games (like Crackdown), work out good, despite how much lack of depth the story has - you can fucking moon jump everywhere which makes it fun.

But for Dawn of Mana it doesn't really work too good. I think the game looks good, but this game's worth it for 3D Flammie. That's it. It's only about 20 hours long.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 05:37 AM Local time: May 28, 2007, 12:37 PM #21 of 24
How many good mana games were there? Secret and SD3 (I didn't even like SD3)?

And who here thought after playing SoE that it would be a better game than any of the other ones that followed.
I liked SD3, because it was multiplayer. I had quite some fun playing the game with Juanzen and Lacerta through ZSnes.

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 06:10 AM #22 of 24
Question though, did the music for Dawn bomb as well?
I thought so...I didn't care for the OST at all. It didn't really have the special feel the previous Mana OST's had (in fact, the best part were the remakes from previous Mana games) and was just..."blah" music. Ito/Sekito don't come close to Kikuta/Shimomura. They barely did anything different from Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song, although Sekito did more original themes (mostly ambient stuff).

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much about this game to get me excited about it (although the background artwork is excessively beautiful).

I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 12:04 PM #23 of 24
Agree about the OST too. I deleted just about every track except for the title theme. There were a bunch of rehashes of old songs being tagged as "SK4" or "Hurry Up" versions of songs, which either made them slightly more rocking or faster, but nothing spectacular.

Saw this out finally and I felt no excitement towards it sitting there on the shelf, with all the negative word of mouth. I think that's a bad thing.

Most amazing jew boots
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2007, 03:52 PM Local time: May 28, 2007, 12:52 PM #24 of 24
The mana series is done. As good as SDII and SDIII were, Legend was ok imo and have not played heroes yet.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Dawn of Mana