Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

You obviously have no grasp of the english language (or Internet Pet Peeves)

Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:27 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 03:27 PM #1 of 41
Thumbs down You obviously have no grasp of the english language (or Internet Pet Peeves)

One of my long-lasting internet pet peeves is a person pointing out poor grammer of a previous poster as a counter argument. Obviously if the topic is not about grammer or the english language (or any language for that matter).

Now, I don't post willy-nilly all over the internet with my own lack of competance and understanding of every niche of the english language making me the target of these e-insults so this isn't a personal thing.

Responding to an argument by saying that the topic creator has no grasp of the english language almost defeats the purpose. You are more or less proving you have no ground or understanding of the topic at hand making you look like the idiot.

The exception of course is when the topic creator or target grammer terrorist really does have extremely and almost unreadable english writing skills.

I'm not one to talk of grammer and spelling of course, this is just something that really bothers me.

How do you feel about this? Are there other internet peeves you have?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:40 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 10:40 PM #2 of 41
I think it depends on the situation. If the person being accused of bad grammar is only using English as their second language for instance, then that wouldn't be fair at all. But then if the grammar isn't too bad, I think it is okay to make a comment about it, so long as that isn't the entire point of your post.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 06:15 PM #3 of 41
Originally Posted by Rasputin
One of my long-lasting internet pet peeves is a person pointing out poor grammar of a previous poster as a counter argument. Obviously if the topic is not about grammar or the english language (or any language for that matter).
Fixed lol

Something that gets under my skin is mis-use of homonyms. Your & You're are big ones.

In WoW, also, something that REALLY bugs me is folks calling a "rogue" "rouge". Been a common spelling-usage since Diablo 1 days. But it still bothers me. The ignorance hasn't been stomped out -- it's SPREADING

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Jul 1, 2006 at 01:02 AM.
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 04:18 PM #4 of 41
It's definitely not a viable comeback if it has nothing to do with the argument or topic. I don't mind people pointing out grammar errors if it's not used as an attack. I don't see any harm in correcting people of their errors and I would love if people corrected me so that I don't mistake the same error when it matters (a resume for example).

The thing I really dislike is when people say "would of," "could of," or "should of." It's would HAVE, could HAVE, or should HAVE. Saying "would of" makes NO SENSE AT ALL. It's just a pet peeve of mine and if I were a teacher and I saw that mistake, I would subtract 5 points of their grade for each time it is used.

Oh and Rasputin, it's spelled grammAr. =P

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 06:46 PM #5 of 41
When the person demonstrates that they are perfectly capable of forming coherent and understandable sentences, but decide to use bad grammar or misspellings intentionally, then I dislike it in particular. Every once in a while for emphasis or attempt at humour, I don't mind (eg. "teh"). If it happens frequently, I dislike it and agree with the people who point it out.

My pet peeve relates to my posts as well as some others. I always have 2/3 spelling mistakes, and sometimes I don't bother to read over the post again to check for spelling mistakes. 80% of the time it's due to my laptop keyboard, and the other 20% is due to my shoddy typing. If I see repeated bad grammar or spelling mistakes, I'll flinch, but not think too much of it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 07:49 PM #6 of 41
Grammar errors online annoy me. If you are old enough to use a computer, you should be old enough to spell words like "tomorrow" or "definitely" or "you're". You have these posters all over message boards claiming they are in their 30's when I see them spell words like tommarow or definateley or your instead of you're.

Seriously, I knew how to spell these words when I was like 10 years old. It doesn't annoy me if some 13 year old kid doesn't spell these words right. However, when some poster with an ego who tries to act mature and intelligent spells "definitely" wrong, then I find it hard to believe that they are, in fact, old or intelligent in the first place.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 07:57 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 01:57 PM #7 of 41
Originally Posted by Rasputin
One of my long-lasting internet pet peeves is a person pointing out poor grammer of a previous poster as a counter argument. Obviously if the topic is not about grammer or the english language (or any language for that matter).

Now, I don't post willy-nilly all over the internet with my own lack of competance and understanding of every niche of the english language making me the target of these e-insults so this isn't a personal thing.

Responding to an argument by saying that the topic creator has no grasp of the english language almost defeats the purpose. You are more or less proving you have no ground or understanding of the topic at hand making you look like the idiot.

The exception of course is when the topic creator or target grammer terrorist really does have extremely and almost unreadable english writing skills.

I'm not one to talk of grammer and spelling of course, this is just something that really bothers me.

How do you feel about this? Are there other internet peeves you have?
OBJECTION. Words detected in these above paragraphs are not in the dictionary, so you have absolutely no case.

But what bothers me more is the fucking "o rly" shit. It wasn't funny the first time, and it isn't funny now. It still exists, for some reason, and it's about as old as the All Your Base fad. Memes are fun but they shouldn't last forever.

FELIPE NO
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:34 PM #8 of 41
English should be capitalized. Haha, I'm just joking.

I only get irritated if I didn't truely make an error and someone tries to correct it as part of the arguement. Just like the way I corrected your capitalization, it's just stupid. But when I make an obvious error, I don't mind as much. When people start typing in 'leet', all capitals or has so many mistakes that I can't even understand I feel that I have the right to shut them down because of their English.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
[RIGHT]
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:45 PM #9 of 41
Quote:
Grammar errors online annoy me. If you are old enough to use a computer, you should be old enough to spell words like "tomorrow" or "definitely" or "you're". You have these posters all over message boards claiming they are in their 30's when I see them spell words like tomorrow or definitely or your instead of you're.
You might be surprised at how far these seemingly simple errors go. In the company I work for, I regularly read emails from top level execs filled with grammar and spelling errors that any 4th grader could point out. Its shameful.

That aside, if your only argument is to tear someone else's grammar and spelling apart, you need to gtfo right now before someone with real intellect takes your straw man and rips it to tiny pieces.

Now, people who intentionally mutilate the written english language (or any other language for that matter) out of apathy or a desire to be 'cool' can go shit nasty turds out their mouth.

---
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 08:47 PM #10 of 41
I've seen people here on GFF use my grammatical mistakes as the basis of their counter-arguments. Of course I pointed it out and tell them to shut the hell up if that's all they can say.

How ya doing, buddy?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:31 PM #11 of 41
I think of a forum as a place where people can talk in a conversational tone. It does become annoying when people want to turn forums into academic essays where you must have the correct punctuation in the correct place at all times. I know that a lot of people respond to posts late and night and sometimes mistakes happen when the brain isn't fully awake. Besides, there are some punctuation marks that can be used interchangably depending on how the writer meant the sentence to be said (and poetry must drive the grammar police nuts).

Frankly, as long as the majority of the posters can understand what you are saying--regardless of grammar or sentence usage--then I'm fine with it. What annoys me are sentences where the average English speaker can not understand:

"D00d taht is UBER L33T! W44nA git w00t!1! Dis $hi+ is teh sexay B4N4N4s!"

Not the best example, but I hope you understand what I mean.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:43 PM #12 of 41
The only way I mind grammatical errors is if someone is trying to sound smart. If you try to sound smart and pump up your internet ego with "sorry, kid" or "listen, dumbass" and you spell simple words incorrectly, then you are the only one looking foolish.

But if you don't claim to be the brightest bulb of the bunch then make all the grammatical errors you want.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:48 PM #13 of 41
I don't mind people pointing out my errors. I make a lot of them, but because of you, I now make less. Specifically spelling errors and word misuse (than/then, affect/effect and so on).

Grammar nazidom is retarded, though.

I do make the 'you are illiterate' argument when people prove that they can't think critically, though. Just saying.

And finally, for an internet pet peeve, boys hitting on newly-discovered girls. I HAVE BEEN HERE FOR SIX YEARS, I DO NOT THINK I WILL LOOK KINDLY ON YOU NOW THAT YOU SAID "HI " TO ME.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:54 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 09:54 PM #14 of 41
Originally Posted by a lurker
Specifically spelling errors and word misuse (than/then, affect/effect and so on).
I hate the set bolded. That one always confuses me.

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:00 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 02:00 PM #15 of 41
I could care less about net peeves.

Hyphenation and capitalisation. When you see a hyphen, people, it usually means two words are compounded to become one word. Just pretend the hyphen isn't really there! And then you'll realise how retaRded it is to capItalise miDdle letters of words.

'Never,' said the Dog-handler -- ICE CREAM
'Never,' said the Dog-Handler -- RUPTURED SPLEEN

Of course you retain the capitals in Alsace-Lorraine, for instance--wherein the components are proper nouns.

Conversions piss me off. I'm not going to give you a US-dollar figure when a) you can't be shat going to xe.com/ucc and DIY, and b) you know for a fact that I'm not American. If you expect as such I will sage you with my mind.

FELIPE NO
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Jun 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:47 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 12:47 PM #16 of 41
I agree with Rasputin, as soon as someone bring's your typos into question as a counter argument, you've won the debate. I remember on some political board somewhere I tore some maggot's post apart and he replies with. Something like "Duh you spelt Germany wrong, the idea taht anyone who can't spell Germany would call me stupid is just bazaar."

BAZAAR.

If you're going to hound someone for their typos at least learn to spell simple words like bizarre.

And of course, everyone who says "I could care less" should be thrown off a bridge.

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 10:58 PM #17 of 41
Originally Posted by RABicle
BAZAAR.

If you're going to hound someone for their typos at least learn to spell simple words like bizarre.

Actually, bazaar is a word, it's just the wrong version.

A bazaar is a market.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 12:00 AM #18 of 41
I like how he used bizarre as some sort of mismatched group of rug shops.

In my opinion, I really hate it when people peel away at someone else's grammatical/spelling/punctuation/capitalization errors. Okay, so you've had middle school English. Maybe some other people have English as a second language. The internet is full of those people, too. Why doesn't the other person try and make a reply in a language other than English and we all nitpick that sucker's post to death. Coming from a scientific background and reading a ton of scientific research papers that come from Russia, China, Germany, etc., I don't give a crap about grammar, I care about how they proved their point/theory whatever.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:23 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 01:23 PM #19 of 41
I kkow it's a word. Everyone knows what a bazaar is and it's definition isn't confined to rug shops. It was even funnier how he used it out of context. But hey let's rush over assert our vocabulary.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 01:38 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 10:38 PM #20 of 41
I can understand poor grammar from someone who may not use English as his or her main language. As long as I'm able to understand the main point of what's written, I can overlook mistakes. I also don't mind people pointing out any mistakes I make. I've learned to fix some common grammar errors I've made throughout the years that way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 04:27 AM #21 of 41
Just think 'special effects' and then 'I was affected'.

How ya doing, buddy?
[RIGHT]
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 07:23 AM #22 of 41
Nitpickers are annoying, but at the same time it's very irritating when people constantly place apostrophes into plurals or just completely spell like a 2nd grader when English IS their first language. The typical response is usually something to the effect of "This isn't some essay for school, it's the internet!" (with far worse grammar, of course). Oh look, Visavi already used that, haha. What does it matter that it's not for school? The entire point of learning to spell is so that you can make a point coherently without looking like an idiot, so why make yourself look like an idiot by not bothering to just take a minute longer to type your post just to make sure it looks right? I've known several perfectly intelligent people who become barely coherent as soon as they get online.

Originally Posted by Gechmir
In WoW, also, something that REALLY bugs me is folks calling a "rogue" "rouge". Been a common spelling-usage since Diablo 1 days. But it still bothers me. The ignorance hasn't been stomped out -- it's SPREADING
Oh god, yes. After a couple of months playing WoW this one drove me insane each time I saw it. Thankfully plenty of other people on Medivh server were tired of it too, and tended to mock people for that one a lot.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:08 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 02:08 PM #23 of 41
Originally Posted by Sir VG
I hate the set bolded. That one always confuses me.
"It's not having any effect!"

"Smoking while pregnant can affect your unborn child."

Any clearer?

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 02:52 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 12:52 PM #24 of 41
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep
That aside, if your only argument is to tear someone else's grammar and spelling apart, you need to gtfo right now before someone with real intellect takes your straw man and rips it to tiny pieces.

That really annoys me. Sorry to single you out ElectricSheep, you just provided me with an example. Creating a grammatically sound sentence and then putting in ONE internet acronym that seems completely random.

You took the time to type out the sentence and were at least conscious to have correct spelling and good grammar and yet there is an internet acronym! Boooo!

Adara
Simplicity

Member 108

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 05:08 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 04:08 PM #25 of 41
I can deal with grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes as long as I can still understand what the person is trying to say (though mixing up homonyms really does get on my nerves sometimes). I think that people nicely pointing out mistakes is okay, but it really annoys me when members jump on a person because they spelled a word or two incorrectly.

One of the biggest internet pet peeves that I have is when people unnecessarily attack other members on forums, throwing strings of curses and insults for no apparent reason. I mostly see this in threads in which members discuss their opinions on certain topics. When an opinion is expressed that those angry members don't like, they not only tell you that they don't agree, but they add that you're a shit-eating cunt for thinking that way and express their desire to kill you and rape your corpse with the barrel of a loaded shotgun. I just don't see why they can't be civil.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > You obviously have no grasp of the english language (or Internet Pet Peeves)