Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Internet routine.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:04 PM #1 of 9
The Internet routine.

I don't know when it happened, or why, but one day I realized my browser could have a toolbar for my bookmarks and make my daily browsing experience a whole lot more efficient.

So I have a particular rotation of sites I go to on a daily (or weekly) basis to get my fix of information and humor. I am curious to see what everyone else does.

Here's my routine:
  • CNN - for international and national news. I used to use MSNBC but their site is way too busy for me.
  • ESPN - for sports news.
  • Boston.com - for "local" news. I say "local" because there are websites for news in the Springfield area but, like everything about the Springfield area, those sites are terrible.
  • Penny Arcade (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) - for lulz.
  • Facebook - for social media. Makes the little time I spent on Myspace look childish in retrospect.
  • Kotaku - for video game news. I stuck with IGN for the longest time but when their reviews started getting tedious to read I moved on.
  • Deadspin - for new media sports news. The newest regular addition to my routine, though they spend an awful lot of time on gossip. Isn't that what Gawker is for?
  • Gamingforce - not sure why anymore.
  • The Pensblog - for Pittsburgh Penguins news and humor.
  • Zero Punctuation (Wednesday) - for Yahtzee's (generally) scathing and amusing reviews.
There are other sites I visit periodically, like VGCats and GameTrailers but that's more or less the extent of my regular browsing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:48 PM #2 of 9
I don't really have a routine, but there are definitely sites I almost always check after time away:
  • Gamingforce is my homepage. Not sure why these days. I browse it very little anymore.
  • Google Reader for all my blog feeds. I do a lot of urban homesteading and knitting blog reading.
  • Facebook for all my buddies updates. I think it's responsible for killing GFF in a way. I watch all you people over there <3
  • Ravelry to see what everyone has been browsing, look for new shit to make, update my project progress, and generally spy on other people and their shit in the knitting world.
  • My blog just to see how shit is going, how the layout strikes me, check on comments and shit.

These sites can usually keep me captivated for a while, but I really don't have a routine surprisingly.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:18 PM Local time: Sep 28, 2011, 05:18 PM #3 of 9
I have Pulse on my tablet to give me my news, so I don't have to visit individual websites. I have 4 categories of news pages within: Tech, Politics, Gaming, Science. On each are news feeds from various sites relating to those subjects.

I visit gamingforce daily even with the low traffic because there are still people here who do occasionally update, and it doesn't take much out of my day to stop by real quick. I even attempt to spur activity occasionally!

I used to keep a tab open for facebook, but the recent additions both annoy me and make my work computer sad, so I just check it once and awhile and rely more on "Friend Me" for Honeycomb to keep me updated. I've been watching people move to G+ more lately though, so maybe I'll be able to just stop using Facebook.

Most amazing jew boots
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:32 PM #4 of 9
Most of the sites are on my bookmarks tab, but in no particular order:

- Yahoo! - For random news of the day, even if half the shit they post isn't necessarily news.
- Gamingforce - Just to see what's up. Board isn't as active as it used to be, but I still check it every one in a while to see what's up.
- r21freak - A board I frequent at for all my Dance Dance Revolution/In The Groove musings and whatnot. A good chunk of my irl friends post there as well, so we're usually just BSing it up.
- The Backloggery - I still go here. It's part of the reason I actually stopped posting here. For the people I have met there, I still talk to them frequently.
- Several Private Trackers - Just to see what I could pirate next.
- Facebook/Twitter - Mainly to keep in touch with online people, friends, and family. I don't nearly have enough GFF people on Facebook or Twitter. I think the only two I talk to from here on Twitter is Miles and Sousuke.
- Tumblr - To reblog horrible anime pictures and look at old memes that should've died long ago.
- Bemanistyle - To talk about how DDR X2 is the best thing to happen to DDR and how badly DJMAX Technika 3 is going to destroy our wallets.
- Joystiq - For gaming news.
- Kotaku - For bullshittery.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:40 PM Local time: Sep 28, 2011, 08:40 PM #5 of 9
I used to waste a colossal amount of time every morning on my computer but I've kept it trimmed to about an hour during my coffee and bagel and I only browse a few of the sites I have bookmarked on my home page on Chrome in order from left to right:

1. Gmail: Goes without saying. First thing I check to see what, if anything, I did wrong on a particular design job the day before at school.
  2. Facebook: Check on my peeps and family. Make sure they're still alive and making abysmal grammatical errors.
  3. Twitter: This is where I check most of the news sites I follow. Lots of up-to-the-second shit goes down here, so I keep an app for it open on my Mac anyway.
  4. Reddit: Y U NO CHECK REDDIT FIRST
  5. Gamingforce: I usually skip this one these days but it's always nice to come back and see if we're still alive in the mothership.
  6. The Daily What: A pretty entertaining blog I used to follow but I'm not sure why I never got around to replacing this one. I've been visiting it for years now but as of about 9 months ago, I've been a regular at Reddit and everything here usually shows up on Reddit a few days before and, thus, has made this place obsolete.
  7. Netflix: Because I gotta have my background movie or TV fix while I'm working. I keep an extra monitor which I connect to my Macbook and becomes my background TV on my office desk.
  8. Hulu: Same as above but I keep up with newer TV shows here where as they take forever to show up on Netflix; not to mention Netflix doesn't have The Daily Show or Colbert Report.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:43 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2011, 01:43 PM #6 of 9
There's such a thing as an internet routine? Back then I just drown myself in 4chan and click on random links. Anyways, here are my usual sites.
  • reddit (REDDIT ALL DAY LONG)
  • gmail (for the emails and chats)
  • gamingforce (because gff4ever)
  • yahoo (for silly news and sillier comments)
  • cnn & bbc (for real news)
  • cbr.cc, comics-alliance.com, & ifanboy.com (for comics and popculture news)
Everything else comes from google or wikipedia searches and reddit links. Sometimes I check webcomics updates and gaming news updates. And I dont' Facebook that much.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:33 AM #7 of 9
LOL. In no order of significance. I'll break apart the ones I visit daily to the ones I at least visit weekly.

GAF
GFF
Backloggery
Facebook
Netflix
Hotmail
Gmail
CNN
CAG (cheapassgamer)
Gamefly
PA
BoA
TWC (theweatherchannel)

FELIPE NO
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:00 PM #8 of 9
Gmail - To check my mail. My work email and my professional email are synced.
Facebook - Mostly for keeping up with friends and networking. I also manage facebook for my company every-so-often.
Gametrailers and Apple Trailers - To watch video game and movie trailers. Duh.
Hotmail - Check my dump mail. I subscribed to Groupon and LivingSocial and all that junk tends to go there. Also my Blizzard bnet account. lol
Netflix - For awesome streaming goodness.
Tumblr and Laughing Squid - To look at cool designy stuff and inspiration for them I do graphic design/illustration projects.
EpicBattleCry and Hard News on Screwattack - Video game podcast and video game industry news show. Quite good. I recommend it to everyone who wants to be up to date on game news.
Youtube - Check out to see if new Dragonball Z Abridged are up and other random shorts I follow.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Chao_Zero

DJENT-D-DJENT DJENT D-D-D-DJENT DJENT

Member 1230

Level 9.05

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:23 PM #9 of 9
My internet routine kinda loops in on itself, but the main sites I visit remain consistent. The only "order" in it is that Facebook is always first.

Facebook - Boredom.

Cracked! - Their articles amuse me, and are great time-wasters.

Gamingforce - It's probably mostly habit at this point, as the boards are fairly dead. I mainly check the journals for some readin's.

deviantArt - On some days, I update my 3D artwork, but I mainly check it to see what new stuff the people in my watch list have put up.

Youtube - Machinima, freddiew, and a whole bunch of other shit that I watch almost religiously. Basically, wasting time.

Bungie - Always go there to download my Halo screenshots and shit. It's pretty sad that I mainly play Halo these days just to take screenshots.

Others in the list include "ThatGuyWithTheGlasses", "Zero Punctuation", and various webcomics, like "Penny Arcade", "Shortpacked!", etc.

Fuck, I gotta go outside and get some air or something.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Originally Posted by Rune Factory on cocaine
Go, right now. Back to your console. Start on Hard. Look down, now back to me. Aren't your genitals bigger? Boost kick left, now right. It's your girlfriend, with two tickets for free sex with her sister. Look at yourself, now me. You could be as awesome as me too. I'm in an Augmented Reaction Suit.
New Chaokaze album, "Japan Terminus", available now on iTunes & Bandcamp!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > The Internet routine.