Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Yardcore

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2011, 08:37 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2011, 06:37 AM #1 of 5
Yardcore

Okay, so I cleaned off my grandmother's back patio so that it is no hospitable to actual company, being Summer and all, you know.

Problem is this. The backyard is desert. I'm talking weeds and dirt. There is a dog. Old (16 years), decrepit, lazy. If she makes it off the back patio to do her business, then it is directly adjacent to the back patio.
If you spend anytime out back, any breeze will pick up the delicate fragrance of stale urine and dust, making the rear area wholly unwelcoming.

How do I solve this problem? I guess I could water down the entire yard and rake it over, but not sure that would stop it.

I've no money nor interest in the maintenance of a lawn, which would be the obvious solution. Plants are not out of the question, but they would have to be close to zero maintenance and be viable in a desert climate.

Or just talk about your lawn gnomes. That's kool, too.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:30 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2011, 07:30 AM #2 of 5

No but seriously, you either have to just tear out the yard and re-plant/lay fake shit, or you can cover the lawn with a tarp to kill off weeds. Either way you're looking at either a lot of time or a lot of work. Thats what I've seen anyway.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:15 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2011, 08:15 AM #3 of 5
You could try going to a nearby garden store (probably better off with one not part of a home improvement store) and tell them what your deal is. I know there's a few houses near me that do a really nice job with all sorts of succulents and rock gardens. I remember seeing one in particular that had brown/red colored rocks for a lot of their lawn, then dark blue rocks running in a path so it looked like a river. There were a bunch of various low-water plants right next to where the blue rocks were.

How ya doing, buddy?
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:12 AM #4 of 5
I'm going to restate what Sass (and now apparently RR) suggested previously: turn the yard into a rock garden. Maybe have a few islands of local or desert plants just for a touch of color.

Its extremely low maintenance, especially compared to a grass lawn (or any lawn with green shit, esp. in a desert), and it will prevent dust and dirt from kicking up on the slightest wind. The only challenge afterwards, really, is extracting the dog shit; but that is easily handled with a square-tipped shovel (Unless Rover has diarrhea. Then you should just wash it through the rocks with a shot from the hose).

Of course, you will have to go out and get the rocks to make this happen, which can be expensive if you're getting it from a retailer, but you might luck out and find someone trying to get rid a bunch of rocks on craigslist or the local classifieds.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2011, 07:55 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2011, 05:55 PM #5 of 5
Xeriscaping is fun!

Best things for dry areas that you don't want to maintain ever again (except for spraying with roundup every spring, if you care to):

- lava rock (looks like ruddy pumice)
- river rock (multicoloured, fist-to-pebble sized rocks, cheaper than pretty much anything other than sand)
- assorted desert plants and cacti intermixed with rock (something for the dog to piss on, in other words). Lavender is a decent one for masking odors, and barely needs water at all.

A lot of gardening depots will deliver to you, depending on how much you need.

Also, where do you live? Bermuda grass might be an option for you, it pretty much doesn't need to be attended to, but in some states it'll be a weed.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Yardcore