Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: System?
Wii 66 45.83%
Xbox 360 3 2.08%
PlayStation 3 15 10.42%
Wii + 360 19 13.19%
Wii + PS3 23 15.97%
PS3 + 360 4 2.78%
All of them! 14 9.72%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

[Question] What next-gen system will you buy?

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:36 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2006, 03:36 AM #76 of 93
My condolences to anyone that purchases a PS3 during the first and second model run shipment. I like risks as much as the next guy, but a $700 risk over possibly faulty hardware releases isn't something I'm willing to take no matter how much money I have.

That said, I will be buying the Wii first and will retain use of my PS2 to play the still incredible backlog of games I have remaining. Maybe one day when I get through that backlog, will be the day that the PS3 is no longer $700 and has a stable, working model release.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:56 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2006, 03:26 PM #77 of 93
I'm not getting an Xbox 360. Period. As for the other two, I really don't know which (if either) I'll end up with. At this point I might just go without either one for a few years and focus on PC games and PS2 backlog. (And Gamecube backlog, if I finally buy one when Twilight Princess comes out.)

Wii is already looking like a great option, easily the strongest of the three even with the iffy controller. Best price, and some great game options in store. I still won't buy it on launch day, but depending on what its library looks like a year or two after launch, I can easily see myself getting one eventually.

PS3 is REALLY up in the air. I do want to get one, simply because sequals to a lot of my favourite series' will be coming out on it. But with all the dumbfuckery Sony has been pulling, I might wait years to get one, if ever. Outrageous pricetag. No vibrating controllers. Apparent focus on graphics over content. All the assorted idiocy and arrogance on Sony's part, especially in the last few months. Right now, about the only thing the PS3 has going for it is being region-free and the promise of certain games to come two or three years down the road. So I don't anticipate getting one until at LEAST a year after release. Maybe two or three, depending on how long it takes the price to drop and how long it takes for the games I'm interested in to see the light of day.

I was speaking idiomatically.

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:55 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2006, 03:55 PM #78 of 93
Well, PS3 was an obvious choice... til I heard the pricing. 360 doesn't really impress... yet... but if MS plays their cards right, I'll consider it...

Wii, impressive and cost friendly. Yes, I will be buying the Wii, and perhaps only the Wii. Its going to be hard to justify spending 3x+ its pricetag for the the PS3. The fact sony has been considering increasing game prices 25% or higher doesn't rub me the right way either... nor does the lame 'but its a blue ray player'. Blue Ray = Laser Disc of this decade.

Metroid 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Smash Brothers Melee, FF: Crystal Chronicles; yes please~! I'm also watching the new Rayman Rabbids title, Red Steel, and that After Crisis title. Despite its simplicity, Wii Sports sounds like a blast too.

I know PS3 is going to have some great games, but if Sony doesn't get out of the train of though that spawned the PSP, the system wont last long enough to see their release. I like how a brand new Wii will be around the same price as the now fairly old psp.

edit: crystal chronicles? oh shizzle!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3

Last edited by avanent; Aug 13, 2006 at 02:42 AM.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:51 AM #79 of 93
Already got the 360, so I can only anwser one way.

I personally enjoy my 360. Ive gotten so casual about the way I game that 360 is perfect for my, at the moment, short attention span.

Short DOA matches.
Short GRAW matches.
Short mall raids in Dead Rising.
Short races in Burn Out Revenge.

Works out great. Not to mention theres tons coming for when I decide to concentrate more on my gaming.

Most amazing jew boots
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:22 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2006, 02:22 AM #80 of 93
Impressive, adding up the current percentages, the Wii is involved in 86% of the votes. This is whats going to make the Wii so powerful. Since Nintendo went with a lower cost, it seems like pretty much everyone will have the Wii. I think 86% of gamers is a bit high, but gamefaqs are you gonig to buy a Wii poll was pretty impressive too.

Whatever company or system they liked, everyone also seemed to have a PS2. It seems like for the new gen systems, everyone is going to have a Wii. Which means a huge audiance for game companies to create games for. This is exactly what won the previous gen cycle for PS2.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by avanent; Aug 20, 2006 at 01:10 PM.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:26 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 11:26 AM #81 of 93
I'm gonna by a Wii. Doubt I'll ever invest in a 360 or PS3 though. I have an HTPC that will do most everything the 360/PS3 can do, and the Wii will give me the console gaming I crave.

Most amazing jew boots
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:27 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 03:27 PM #82 of 93
Originally Posted by avanent
Impressive, adding up the current percentages, the Wii is involved in 86% of the votes. This is whats going to make the Wii so powerful. Since Nintendo went with a lower cost, it seems like pretty much everyone will have the Wii. I think 86% of gamers is a bit high, but gamefaqs are you gonig to buy a Wii poll was pretty impressive too.

Whatever company or system they liked, everyone also seemed to have a PS2. It seems like for the new gen systems, everyone is going to have a Wii. Which means a huge audiance for game companies to create games for. This is exactly what won the previous gen cycle for PS2.
True, even though the GC and Xbox are more powerful, PS2 won out in the end. However, PS2 has been more expensive than GC for the whole time they have both been out, so it wasn't due just to pricing. It will be interesting to revisit this topic again one year after all 3 systems are out and see what their libraries look like, and take a look at market penetration for each system...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Zorro
I'll come up with something witty soon

Member 2506

Level 15.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 01:18 AM #83 of 93
Wow, the Wii really seems to be popular around here. To me it doesn't appeal at all. The GC has spent its time in the shadow of PS2 and Xbox - it's a more powerful machine than Sony's, but the least desirable version of a game released for all three consoles regularly was the GC's, and most of the exclusives were kiddie games I couldn't care less about. I expect this to be the case again, so no Wii for me. (Although the possibility of downloading all those terrific SNES games of yore definitely offers me an incentive to reconsider.) There's absolutely nothing on the horizon for 360 that appeals to me, and the PS3 fares even worse. The MGS4 trailers didn't exactly floor me, and after the debacle called The Room I'm not looking forward to playing Silent Hill 5 at the moment. Other than those... nothing comes to mind, and even if there were interesting games looming on the horizon, I'd have to pass. To whom does Sony want to sell its console? Managers and executives? To ask the price of a second-hand car in good condition for a mere gaming console is as insolent as they come. I surely hope the ridiculous price seriously hurts their sales.

So in conclusion I'd have to say "none of them", at least right now.

Zorro

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
~ Robert Wilensky ~
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:14 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2006, 01:14 PM #84 of 93
Originally Posted by speculative
True, even though the GC and Xbox are more powerful, PS2 won out in the end. However, PS2 has been more expensive than GC for the whole time they have both been out, so it wasn't due just to pricing. It will be interesting to revisit this topic again one year after all 3 systems are out and see what their libraries look like, and take a look at market penetration for each system...
PS2 was more expensive than the GC?

That doesn't sound right to me; but maybe it is. I mean I have a hard time remembering last week :P. Although, the difference wasn't near as much as the current difference.

Gamefaqs poll results surprised me yesterday:
Quote:
If you could only buy one of the three next generation consoles, which would you choose?

PlayStation 3 33.02%
Wii 50.2%
Xbox 360 13.67%
I really don't want any of them 3.11%
TOTAL VOTES 97476
Im acutally surprised that the 360 is so low. I expected it to be more even with the PS3. I underestimated people following of Sony. Then again, I didn't expect Wii to gain 50% of this either. I didn't realize it was that appealing to that much of the gaming populace. I'm a tad excited

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2006, 12:15 AM #85 of 93
I already have an XBOX 360. I'll be getting a Wii. I don't know if it'll be at launch. It depends if there are any good games that come out at the same time as the system.

xman25

speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:21 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2006, 08:21 AM #86 of 93
Originally Posted by avanent
Im acutally surprised that the 360 is so low. I expected it to be more even with the PS3. I underestimated people following of Sony. Then again, I didn't expect Wii to gain 50% of this either. I didn't realize it was that appealing to that much of the gaming populace. I'm a tad excited
Since Xbox360 is "last year's tech," I think people look at the PS3 as being more technologically advanced. The base PS3 is only $100 more than the Xbox Premium setup. Couple that with the strong following the PS2 has and it makes sense I suppose.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:25 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2006, 09:25 AM #87 of 93
I won't be getting a PS3 at launch, since I have better things to spend money on than a console at launch. I'll probably pick it up next spring, once one or more titles that I am interested in are released. I will get a Wii at some point too, not sure when, even if primarily for the downloadable content, especially if they implement online multiplayer into some of the more enjoyable older titles. And I already have and love my 360.

I mean is there even any surprise that I will be getting all three eventually, since I have a PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube from that generation.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Rakka
Forgiveness

Member 10978

Level 9.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:25 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2006, 03:25 PM #88 of 93
I'm kind of on the fence with all three systems, actually. They all show at least some promise to me, but I still haven't been convinced beyond all doubt that any of them are worth buying, either. I don't really want to dedicate myself to buying one of the systems when two of them haven't even been released yet, either.

The PS3 has some really impressive hardware and flashy demos, but I still haven't seen any games that impress me enough to justify spending $600 on the system. For that much money, I could probably buy an Xbox 360 Premium, a couple of years of Xbox Live service, and some games, or buy a small army of DS games, or the HDTV set that I'd need to really enjoy the PS3's fancy graphics or Blu-Ray drive.

I'd really have to try a Wii out before I'd buy one. The controller IS a very interesting piece of hardware, and I give Nintendo lots of credit for trying something different and interesting, but it's still pretty odd...I'd have to at least get a feel for it before I'd decide on buying one.

The Xbox 360 is probably the most tempting of the three right now, but I still have some reservations about it. It is still a bit expensive, especially with Live service and $60 new games, and the fact that a lot of the system's appeal is based on a subscription-based online service is a bit off-putting. If Microsoft can cut the price on the system a bit, I'd probably buy one, though.

How ya doing, buddy?

all the cool people are doing it...rakka's last.fm page
tifashot123
holy crap!

Member 12103

Level 3.20

Sep 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 04:15 AM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:15 AM #89 of 93
well there are good reasons for buyin each of them, ps3 because of the range of games accesories ect. the nintendo wii ecause well nintendo and the 360 because its the cheapest out now but if i was to choose 1 it would be ps3 because of game like mgs4 and ffXIII

How ya doing, buddy?

:.:life is but a walking shadow, a player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage then is heard of no more:.:
JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:19 AM #90 of 93
I keep hearing how people are pissed off at Sony's business strategy, or more precisely, pissed off at the cost of the PS3. I'd like to be the first person to bring up Nintendo's oddball attempt at attracting non-gamers to the scene. I really have a difficult time understanding how parents and other non-gamers worldwide are suddenly going to start playing games once Wii hits the shelves. Nintendo wants me to believe non-gamers are put off by the complexity of conventional controllers and yet they believe a tv remote slash analog nunchuck is something intrinsically identifiable. I've already read several reports that playing Zelda on the Wiimote is anything but easy to pick up.

I just can't wait to buy a Wii and thrust the nunchuck in my father's hands and tell him to start playing Twilight Princess as if he's been playing games all his life. What I really can't wait for is when he stares at me, blinks his eyes, and tells me how retarded the thing is. Nintendo wants to attract new gamers which is a noble effort but at this point in time feel free to colour me skeptic.

Assuming I follow the same purchasing habits from the previous generation of consoles, I'll almost certainly purchase a Wii and PS3. I'm sure the Wii will have some neat exclusives worth having and the PS3 will act as my home media centre.

Most amazing jew boots

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 01:40 AM #91 of 93
Apparently it's working with 7 million Nintendogs sold and almost as many Brain Trainings sold. That was pretty much the deciding factor that launched DS into success above the competition.

Zelda is still just a GameCube game, Wii Sports is an example of a more next gen game with wider appeal, and Nintendo sucks for screwing up Twilight Princess and trying to pass it off as a Wii game.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:22 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2006, 01:22 PM #92 of 93
With the passing of more and more time... I'm considering a 360 more and more... and a PS3 less and less. I'm sure I'll eventually buy the infernal contraption, but thats set currently on 'eventually'.

Hoping MS will drop the price on 360 to push their Wii360 statement. While the Wii is a definate purchase, I'm still on the fense with the 360.

Jackyboy, as Grubdog touched upon, you completely missed the method in which they are targetting new audiances.

Grubdog, not to worry, it's being released for both :P

speculative

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:41 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2006, 10:41 PM #93 of 93
Originally Posted by Grubdog
Apparently it's working with 7 million Nintendogs sold and almost as many Brain Trainings sold. That was pretty much the deciding factor that launched DS into success above the competition.
True. I don't think Grand Theft Auto 4 is going to draw a lot of non-gamers to the scene, but if anyone can do it Nintendo can and they now have a proven track record of this.

119 out of 140 voters plan to get a Wii. Don't think we need a recount on this one lol...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] What next-gen system will you buy?