Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Shin Megami Tensei Series/Persona 3

Nissay
~ ~

Member 12645

Level 5.19

Sep 2006

Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:20 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2006, 08:20 PM #126 of 150
Love the series, i hope we get to fight Yahweh in the PS3 SMT like old times

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2006, 11:07 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2006, 05:07 PM #127 of 150
English website for Devil Summoner finally up! Just 3 more days now!

http://www.atlus.com/devilsummoner/

How ya doing, buddy?
Nissay
~ ~

Member 12645

Level 5.19

Sep 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:48 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 05:48 PM 1 #128 of 150
Originally Posted by YoMan
English website for Devil Summoner finally up! Just 3 more days now!

http://www.atlus.com/devilsummoner/
Yay,hope alot of seeders:biggrin:

Most amazing jew boots
debbie7
Dragonlover

Member 13732

Level 4.68

Oct 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 06:38 AM #129 of 150
Ican't say I'm a huge fan of SMT as I've only played one so far - Lucifer's Call (Nocturne) - and it took me a while to work it out but I did enjoy it. I have DDS 1 & 2 and have been told these are better so I'm looking forward to playing them, when I have time!

One major problem I had though - for some reason my game kept freezing in the third kalpa. In the end I had to go rent the damn thing to do that kalpa. I don't know what the problem was as there were no scratches on my disc but hey, I managed to finish it.

Most amazing jew boots

Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:38 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 06:38 PM #130 of 150
Originally Posted by debbie7
Ican't say I'm a huge fan of SMT as I've only played one so far - Lucifer's Call (Nocturne) - and it took me a while to work it out but I did enjoy it. I have DDS 1 & 2 and have been told these are better so I'm looking forward to playing them, when I have time!

One major problem I had though - for some reason my game kept freezing in the third kalpa. In the end I had to go rent the damn thing to do that kalpa. I don't know what the problem was as there were no scratches on my disc but hey, I managed to finish it.
Wow that sucks, and you should def try out the two dig.saga's,it's worth it

Most amazing jew boots
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:01 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 05:01 AM #131 of 150
it is a common problem for people who play the PAL version, every copy seems to have it (I think shin also had the same problem, as did I). It sucks alright, but if you use the item that reduces encounters, your chances of it occuring is rather low, and once you get past that point, it will not happen again.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:51 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 07:51 AM #132 of 150
So, about Devil Summoner, anyone have any impressions on it yet? I was in the game store this weekend and decided to get Okami over it. And holy crap, why is everything I want coming out at the exact same time this year. Have hardly bought anything all year and in the past two months have picked up Disgaea 2, XS3, VP2, Okami, FFXII right around the corner. I would normally just snatch it up, it being a Megaten game hitting US shores, but I need to know if it's worth it in this busy game season.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:12 AM #133 of 150
It's good, I mean... it's really good. If you're a fan of the Sin Megami Tensei series you have to get this one. It's a bit on the lighter side for them, but it's still very demonic. And the combat system is real-time which is a switch up for them, but they managed to pull it off quite well.

As to whether to pick it up over some of the others that are coming is a hard question for anyone to really answer. However I can say two things. First is that it depends on your priorities. Second is that it's an Atlas game which never stays in production all that long, unlike FFXII which will still be in production ten years from now. Either way though, if you do decide to get Devil Summoner I can assure you that you won't be disapointed ^^

I was speaking idiomatically.
Memnoch
Badass Van

Member 12452

Level 6.82

Sep 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 06:48 PM #134 of 150
I downloaded it and looks pretty good..haven't gotten far though. About the battlesystem..hmmm i love the comments of the demons but i'm not digging the battlesystem..i rather have the old turn base system. As for the graphics,they are worse then Nocturne IMO. But like i said i'm not far,...

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:00 PM #135 of 150
I don't know about the graphics being worse. The art style, while similar it is still different from that of Nocturne and DDS. Devil Summoner might not have as much texture to things as previous titles, but the lighting and original character design more then make up for it to me. But hey, I'm an RPG fan and as long as it's original, has a good storyline, and fun gameplay I'll tuff out the sub-par thing here or there (However Magna Carta was just unplayable... but is so beautiful at the same time... like a rose with thorns)

FELIPE NO
soapy
Chocobo

Member 903

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 01:17 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 11:17 AM #136 of 150
I've never played any of the Shin Megami games, but I thought Devil Summoner was pretty fun. It's an interesting style, and the random battles don't happen too often where it gets annoying. The graphics are decent, I thought. I like the style, and the overall mood is kind of light hearted. I don't have much to compare to, but as a standalone game it was good. I only played for a few hours though. If you're a fan of the series I don't see why you wouldn't like it.

But compared to Okami, I probably would have gotten Okami too Although Atlus games are hard to come by.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Morridor
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 13981

Level 1.10

Oct 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:09 PM #137 of 150
So far I love Devil Summoner. I played the Digital Devil Saga games and I have to say I like Devil Summoner a little better. DDS had a REALLY big problem with the encounter rate. It was WAY too high! I like the moderation Devil Summoner has. The battle system change is also kind of nice.

To be honest, I really love all of the Shin Megami Tensei games specifically for their storyline and the character development. The battle systems and every detail of the game are really amazing as well. I just really love the storylines!

Danny

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FULL Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime website!
The FULL Rocket Slime website is now up and running! Click Here to check it out!

Click this banner for the Official Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime Website to get a free Rocket Slime game signed by the development team, DQ Keychains, or a free 1 year subscription to Nintendo Power.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2006, 12:03 AM #138 of 150
I finished up Devil Summoner today and I gotta say I liked it alot. I'll run down some pros and cons of it in spoiler tags.

Also, Im surprised nobody else is playing this. I thought this thread would skyrocket when the game got realeased.

Pros.

Spoiler:

1. I like the combat system. It's fun and easy to use. Atlus was going with something new this time around and I think they pulled it off quite well. All the command menus are easily accessible. I like how they have implemented combination skills this time around. Very powerful skills that are unleashed by Raidou and the demon together. You get this by exploiting the enemies weakness/landing critical hit's and raising your demons tension.

2. Fusion is back! Fun as always, experimenting with alot of different combinations. Not as many demons as Nocturne, but that doesn't mean there is little of them. There is around 70-75 demons to play around with I think.

3. New addition to the the Fusion system. Fuse a demon into your weapon for some extra stat boosts. The weapon doesn't change it's appearance though, I was kind off hoping it would.

4. The random encounter rate is still HIGH and I love it. Fuck the encounter rate haters (there is alot of you out there).

5. The graphics are awesome. Pre-rendered backgrounds and stuff.

6. Character design by Kazuma Kaneko. I love that guys work.

7. Music done by none other than Shoji Meguro. (Note: There are tunes in the game that are not on the OST. If you want all the tracks I suggest you find the Promo CD that was released with the Japanese version of the game. 3 or 4 tracks from the game are on that promo CD.

Cons.

Spoiler:

1. It's short. It will take you around 35-40 hours.

2. The story is so and so. Mediocre at best. I liked Nocturne and the DDS stories better. And I wasn't that fond of the ending either. I was like: "That's it?!" when the title screen kicked in after the game.

3. In combat Raidou utilizes both a sword and a gun. The sword slashes are decided on how many times you press the slash button, 3 button taps = 3 slashes and so on. This does not apply to the gun, though I wish it did. Once you press the gun button Raidou automatically fires 3 bullets.

4. Maybe a lock - on system would have been a nifty feature to add in?

5. Gouto (your very helpful cat) tends to tell you alot more than what is necessary regarding plot advancement."Raidou go here, then do that and that and that" etc etc.

Double Post:
Also, the cover is shiny

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by YoMan; Oct 27, 2006 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:49 PM #139 of 150
I think it's just there was a pretty large influx of solid releases lately. I picked this up, and I fully intend on playing it... but I just finished Abyss, need to play FFXII and then BK:O before I can even consider touching it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:48 AM Local time: Oct 28, 2006, 08:48 AM #140 of 150
I got it a while back, and I absolutely love it. Very Shadow Hearts-ish in its atmosphere of "East Asia and demons" and pre-rendered backgrounds, so that was kind of cool.

The combat can kind of drag just because Raidou's melee moves are just a three-hit combo, a thrust, and a charged spin attack. I would've liked a little more, but I still feel compelled to play it.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Oct 28, 2006 at 10:55 AM.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 02:00 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 02:00 PM #141 of 150
So uh, may I bump this thread instead of creating new one to continue discussion?

Even though I only played two persona games (IS & EP), I really enjoy shin megaten series. The Persona III system looks very promising, it's like a fusion of Shin Megaten RPG and love sim I guess. Has there been any news about Persona III English version? I've been browsing for awhile to find all info about the game, but all I could find is TBA.

Also, could someone direct me where to find the rom of Shin Megaten I in SNES? It seems mine is corrupted, I couldnt continue after I enter the main character's room.

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Tyr
Carob Nut

Member 852

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 01:32 PM #142 of 150
The game was recently pushed back to June here in the US. Which can be good news since they announced a director's cut version of the game in Japan and its possible we might get that version. Much like how we got the Maniacs version of Nocturne. Atlus USA hasn't said if they will or not but encouraged people on their forums to express interest if you really want to see it. Unlike certain companies I won't name they actually will listen to feedback. *cough Square Enix*

B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:06 AM #143 of 150
The game was recently pushed back to June here in the US. Which can be good news since they announced a director's cut version of the game in Japan and its possible we might get that version.
I can't say how or by who, but I have had it confirmed that we AREN'T getting the content of Persona 3: Fes in America. We're only getting the regular version of the game.

FELIPE NO
TheXeno
Overlord

Member 13483

Level 8.29

Oct 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2006, 04:24 PM #144 of 150
BK is always the bearer of bad news.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
heero_yud
hero of the ocean

Member 17382

Level 3.09

Dec 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 08:33 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 08:33 AM #145 of 150
Talking

I finished up Devil Summoner today and I gotta say I liked it alot. I'll run down some pros and cons of it in spoiler tags.

Also, Im surprised nobody else is playing this. I thought this thread would skyrocket when the game got realeased.

Pros.

Spoiler:

1. I like the combat system. It's fun and easy to use. Atlus was going with something new this time around and I think they pulled it off quite well. All the command menus are easily accessible. I like how they have implemented combination skills this time around. Very powerful skills that are unleashed by Raidou and the demon together. You get this by exploiting the enemies weakness/landing critical hit's and raising your demons tension.

2. Fusion is back! Fun as always, experimenting with alot of different combinations. Not as many demons as Nocturne, but that doesn't mean there is little of them. There is around 70-75 demons to play around with I think.

3. New addition to the the Fusion system. Fuse a demon into your weapon for some extra stat boosts. The weapon doesn't change it's appearance though, I was kind off hoping it would.

4. The random encounter rate is still HIGH and I love it. Fuck the encounter rate haters (there is alot of you out there).

5. The graphics are awesome. Pre-rendered backgrounds and stuff.

6. Character design by Kazuma Kaneko. I love that guys work.

7. Music done by none other than Shoji Meguro. (Note: There are tunes in the game that are not on the OST. If you want all the tracks I suggest you find the Promo CD that was released with the Japanese version of the game. 3 or 4 tracks from the game are on that promo CD.

Cons.

Spoiler:

1. It's short. It will take you around 35-40 hours.

2. The story is so and so. Mediocre at best. I liked Nocturne and the DDS stories better. And I wasn't that fond of the ending either. I was like: "That's it?!" when the title screen kicked in after the game.

3. In combat Raidou utilizes both a sword and a gun. The sword slashes are decided on how many times you press the slash button, 3 button taps = 3 slashes and so on. This does not apply to the gun, though I wish it did. Once you press the gun button Raidou automatically fires 3 bullets.

4. Maybe a lock - on system would have been a nifty feature to add in?

5. Gouto (your very helpful cat) tends to tell you alot more than what is necessary regarding plot advancement."Raidou go here, then do that and that and that" etc etc.

Double Post:
Also, the cover is shiny
It's good for you. I have just bought and played the game. I think the SMT Nocture is better but Devil Summoner is good too. If i can't complete the game, can you help me?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:12 PM Local time: Jun 26, 2007, 10:12 PM #146 of 150
I can't say how or by who, but I have had it confirmed that we AREN'T getting the content of Persona 3: Fes in America. We're only getting the regular version of the game.
I find it strange that they added special edition to the title for US release then.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2007, 04:11 PM #147 of 150
I'm pretty sure the "Special Edition" refers to the art book and soundtrack that are packaged with the game. EB/Gamestop is the only store I've seen call it that, and they're the ones with the pack.

Most amazing jew boots
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2007, 05:13 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2007, 12:13 AM #148 of 150
Actually it was IGN I saw reffering to it as special edition.

bioeng
Carob Nut

Member 1735

Level 4.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:04 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2007, 10:04 AM #149 of 150
Really, though, I can't believe this is coming out this month. The game has been pushed back so many times I started to wonder if it was coming at all. It took a year for Atlus to localize the game and it doesn't even come with the FES expansion. ... That's alright. T_T

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:39 AM #150 of 150
I know this is a pretty big necro bump but I don't feel like this deserves it's own thread. I did feel like it was worth sharing with people though, so I'll post it and you can lock it down or delete my post if I did something bad.

Buy Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2) - Order Now!

Seems like Atlus reprinted some copies of Nocturne so if anyone out there wants a copy without paying 70~120+ bucks now is the time to order it. I've already seen people whoring this at amazon/ebay by buying copies in bulk from the site (and trying to double the price) so I'm not sure how much longer the game will even be in stock.

Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Shin Megami Tensei Series/Persona 3